Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to cook with syrup?  (Read 2546 times)

Aeon Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to cook with syrup?
« on: February 01, 2012, 12:39:13 am »

I have a custom stockpile of barrels of syrup next to the kitchen. The cook still prefers to trek across the room and grab only solid meat to cook with. Aagh1!!?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 12:41:35 am by Aeon Blue »

Praecordia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to cook with syrup?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 12:54:43 am »

I think dwarves only cook with liquids if there is not anything solid to cook with.

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 12:56:20 am »

For some reason, dwarven syrup is lowest on the priority list for things to cook with.  If you really want your cook to only cook the syrup, you can press (z) then go to the "kitchen" section and forbid everything from being cooked except the syrup.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 01:13:28 am »

...Don't you need at least 1 solid uncooked item to cook with the syrup?
Are you making easy meals? I think those only use one ingredient and so your syrup won't be used, try making something else and perhaps he will cook the syrup as well as the meat.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 01:30:52 am »

It might help if the solid foods aren't stored in barrels/pots and are instead stored in open stockpiles (set barrels to 0). It seems that dwarves prefer to take stuff from barrels/pots. Since syrup is in a barrel/pot, it will then be taken along with solid foods. This seems to work at least sometimes with booze cooking, and booze is of similar priority to syrup.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 09:20:55 am »

Dwarves will prefer to cook with ingredients in barrels over ingredients not in barrels.  Among foods in barrels, syrup is near the bottom of the priority list.  However, syrup in a barrel is higher-priority than any food that isn't in a barrel.  To get your dwarves to cook with syrup, all you need to do is have plenty of solid ingredients that aren't in barrels.

I manage my cooking by having multiple food stockpiles, with different types of food stored in each.  Solid foods that I intend to cook, like meat and cheese and quarry bush leaves, is stored in stockpiles that have maximum barrels set to zero.  Liquid ingredients like syrup are stored in dedicated stockpiles with maximum barrels left at maximum.  When I tell the dwarves to cook a meal they reliably grab one solid ingredient then fill out the rest of the meal with syrup.  No forbidding of solids or other micromanagement is required.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Aeon Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 09:52:33 am »

Wanted to say that all of this advice has been helpful, especially the bit about barrels. My fortress is now flowing with dwarven syrup roasts.  8)

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 01:01:01 pm »

I have had a similar problem with royal jelly,  nobody seems to want to eat it or cook with it, and i don't think it can be put in a barrel.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 03:11:03 pm »

I have had a similar problem with royal jelly,  nobody seems to want to eat it or cook with it, and i don't think it can be put in a barrel.

Tried locking a Dwarf in a room with nothing but royal jelly?

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 03:23:08 pm »

Tried locking a Dwarf in a room with nothing but royal jelly?

Nope, that might be how I'll end up actually getting some royal jelly roasts.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 05:55:26 pm »

Looking at the code itself, the "prepare meal" job requires the following:
* 1 unrotten cookable solid "item"
* 1 unrotten cookable "item"
* 1 unrotten cookable "item" (only if Fine or Lavish)
* 1 unrotten cookable "item" (only if Lavish)

In this case, "item" is from a particular set of items (referred to as ANY_GENERIC81 within DFHack) which consists of all flasks, cages, barrels, buckets, animal traps, boxes, meat, fish, unprepared fish, vermin, seeds, plants, leaves, drinks, powders, cheeses, misc liquids, cookable globs, tools, and eggs in your entire fortress; I'm not sure exactly how this list is sorted (or how DF searches through it when looking for job items), but further examination might reveal exactly why it behaves the way it does.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 05:56:57 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 08:42:29 am »

Are you making easy meals? I think those only use one ingredient and so your syrup won't be used

Easy meals use 2 ingredients.  Fine meals use 3, and Lavish meals use 4.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz