Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I keep magma nasties from eating my magma pump stacks?  (Read 2700 times)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
How do I keep magma nasties from eating my magma pump stacks?
« on: February 02, 2012, 01:22:58 am »

I keep having critters show up out of the magma and they're smashing my magma pumps, and they seem to be just getting pushed through fortifications (or are they swimming through the 7/7 ones?).   The pumps draining from my 4 (yes, four) magma pipes ARE isolated by sumps that use the floor grate trick, which makes the title of the thread I guess a little misleading because it isn't my whole stack getting eaten.

Regardless, I keep having to replace the feeder pumps for the base of my primary pump stack.   Fortunately there are 20 of these such feeders, so two or three being down at any given time is OK but annoying.  There is also a large "magma capacitor" near the top of the fortress to smooth out flux in the flow rate to the main pumps and to handle surges in use (such as from my magma land mines).

Screw pumps can't pump through floor grates by chance, can they?

Also, the whole system uses 17,400 U of power.  My power supply varies between 22,000 and 25,000 so I have room to expand if needed.  Yes, I needed to deforest the map to do it, and I have huge underground tree farms.

Alternatively, can I lock my tamed 1100 year old dragon down there?  He's not very useful otherwise because he keeps cooking his trainers.

Right now my setup looks a bit like this:
Code: [Select]
%%< - pump pumping from the left.  The < is the output tile.
>%% pump pumping from the right.   The > is the output tile.
X = wall
F = carved fortification
m = magma flowing under its own power
M = magma under !!pressure!!
@ = gearbox
| = vertical axle
= is a horizontal axle
S = stairs of any type
_ = floor
. = channel
#= floor grate

Vertical slice

(primary pump stack is actually a head-over-head design but it's simplified here)
XX>%%.X|XXXXXXXSXXXXXXXmmmm
XX.%%<X|XXXXXXXSX....mFmmmm
XX>%%.X|XXXXXXXSX...mmFmmmm
XX.%%<X|XXXXXXXSX..mmmFmmmm
XX>%%.X|XXXXXXXSX.mmmmFmmmm
XX.%%<X|XXXXXXXSXmmmmmFmmmm
XX>%%.X@=======@XmmmmmFmmmm (magma pipe)
XXXXXMM#X.MMM>%%mmmmmmFmmmm
XXXXXXXMMMXXXXmmmmmmmmFmmmm
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmm(Magma sea)mmm

Not shown:  My raging after I discover a pump has been smashed AGAIN.

On a random note, I can't wait for moving fortress sections so I can make Mashy Spike Plates.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: How do I keep magma nasties from eating my magma pump stacks?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 01:33:32 am »

Do this for your bottom right magma pump:

%>_Xmmmm
XXmmmmmm
%> magma pump (it's 2 tiles, not 3)
_ floor grate/closed hatch

The hatch cannot be destroyed from below, preventing anything from approaching your pump.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 01:39:54 am »

Do this for your bottom right magma pump:

%>_Xmmmm
XXmmmmmm
%> magma pump (it's 2 tiles, not 3)
_ floor grate/closed hatch

The hatch cannot be destroyed from below, preventing anything from approaching your pump.

The three tile pumps was an intentional mistake, because if the tile just past the output is anything that liquid can't travel through it's useless.  And it's a good way to show the direction of the pump while still using %% for it.

I wasn't aware the pumps could pump through grates?   Does this work?
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 01:44:52 am »

Pumps can indeed pump through grates. It's very useful.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 01:47:00 am »

I just checked to make sure, grate work but hatch doesnt (oops)
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 02:03:44 am »

I just checked to make sure, grate work but hatch doesnt (oops)
Pumps can indeed pump through grates. It's very useful.

This is an incredibly valuable piece of knowledge and I'm surprised I didn't know that until now.