Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 32

Author Topic: Ravens are murder. [SPOILERS]  (Read 164086 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Ravens are murder. [SPOILERS]
« Reply #345 on: September 09, 2015, 11:19:48 am »

This. Is. Truly. Fucking. Insane.  :D.
One wheel short of a wagon

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #347 on: September 09, 2015, 01:01:23 pm »

UPLOAF SADE!  UPFONE CRAZE!

"I think he's asking for a save."

☺☺☺☺               ☺ <--- Jwoodward48df has gone stark raving mad from the sheer amounts of awesomeness and gore in this adamantine forumite thread!
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #348 on: September 09, 2015, 02:40:00 pm »

You have a necromancer, right?
That could help a bit, if you don't mind exposing him briefly to arrow-fire, while you're waiting for the potential of the corpse bomb.
I've got 3; two linked to the corpse stockpile and one who is still in rebellion in the dining hall corpse factory. If the humans overpower the Dwarven military, they will be unleashed and my entire collection of dead corpses will become reanimated corpses, rendering the entire subterranean complex hostile to all life. Plus Necromancers are non-renewable resources, so I don't want to lose them unnecessarily just yet. We're not yet out of options!

But yes, Silentthunders just got insane. Has something like this even been attempted before? Armok's eyes are upon this land. All of the buildings' epicness now stand in proper scale. I just hope they don't breach into your underground.
They've taken the palisade, but with the quarry and postern sealed their only entrance is through the courtyard. With exception to some exceptionally brave kobolds and a single necromancer, no enemies have ever made it through alive. From then on round there's several more defensive lines and Fortresses, for as long as there's Dwarves there's somewhere to defend. Absolute, absolute worst case scenario - all forces pull back, abandon the farms and live off of stocks, eagles, bacon and rutherers.

It would be infinitely glorious if DF had some kind of altered mode in which it could handle such large troop numbers at a somewhat reasonable FPS...because this is a realistic siege, in numbers. I'm impressed that DF is handling it at 1 FPS, inefficient as it is...perhaps it's rounding up from 0.1? :P
I suspect it's to do with how most of the humans only path to their squad leader and only the squad leaders path to the Fort, and even then not all at once. Though then again I've done arena mode combat with thousands of troops fine whilst a single pathing Titan grounded everything to a shuddering standstill. DF pathing is weird.

(Oh, so you know how Toady is working with multi-tile units? ...gonna make a suggestion that some squads be handled like that. Would vastly reduce the number of paths being calculated, allowing for larger sieges.)
And enemy siege engines!

Oh, and speaking of options:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Boom

I've waited decades for an opportunity to detonate the pillars. 5 men and their cavalry were swept into the magma, one was speared on the copper spikes.

Some were flung high into the air.
Others flung really high.
It was hoped that their lieutenant would perish but alas, the spearmaster lives on quite unfazed and is already trying to regroup his unit. The survivors have mostly all been knocked unconscious, so although they only suffered quite superficial bruising their march has been abruptly ended even if only for a few days. The dust cloud reached 10zlvls high showing promise as a potent anti-flier weapon, something I hadn't considered before.
These pillars were the weakest of them all, only two pillars and only 1 wall's worth of strength to collapse on the humans. The other two gatehouses have twice as many pillars. The Brass Palisade has 5 times as many pillars, 6 of which are double strength. Cave ins are fun.

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 09, 2015, 03:55:22 pm »

This is it. This is the end.

I don't want to miss it.

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: September 09, 2015, 04:08:56 pm »

This is it. This is the end.

I don't want to miss it.

I have faith. Show the world what silentthunders is MADE OF. (Lots of rocks, dwarves, blood and lots, and lots of corpses.)
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 09, 2015, 04:18:31 pm »

If only 0.40 had a force siege command :'(

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 09, 2015, 05:02:13 pm »

If only 0.40 had a force siege command :'(

Forcing siege would produce a small squad of unarmed incompetent humans, with one goblin with a copper sword. Not exciting.
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 09, 2015, 05:17:12 pm »

HOLY SHITBATS WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED LW WAS DROPPING THE BOMB?

All of you, I am so hurt and disappointed, I've got a mind to ignite the tiles you're standing on and set each and everyone one of your inventories on fire to teach you a lesson. That lesson probably being something about not standing near pyrokinetic nutjobs I suppose?

I'll be back though.

Oh, and a good siege in 40.24 involves stuff like this:

Plus one goblin with a copper sword.

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: September 09, 2015, 05:25:05 pm »

The dust cloud reached 10zlvls high showing promise as a potent anti-flier weapon, something I hadn't considered before.

hmm... i may set up a "flak" mine network over my newest fortress.
08:43 PM The wild animals and insects sang a merry tune and the trees performed a dance. I know you're trying to cheer me up, Vishnu, but that was actually a bit creepy.-Rhons

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: September 09, 2015, 05:35:58 pm »

Have you ever seen that in fort mode though?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #356 on: September 09, 2015, 06:28:36 pm »

Plus one goblin with a copper sword.
The chosen one

The SW Gatehouse pillars were detonated.
The axedwarves and their steeds were caught between two clouds of boiling rock, ensuring all of them were thrown around quite a bit. One man broke his hand and can no longer wield his greataxe, a horse snapped its lower spine in two and many humans are bruised and unconscious. I must say I had intended these pillars to kill undead and knock out enemies to make for easy killing; but should I survive this I have some ideas for improving the lethality of them. I did not anticipate a scenario where melee Dwarves would be incapable of reaching incapacitated foes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #357 on: September 09, 2015, 07:17:58 pm »

There are 7 elite archers or crossbowmen taking devastating shots on my lines; Aco Bluntincenses's chestnut eyes just cost me Ingish Enolas, Fortress Jewelmaster. I think anyways, he seems fine enough. The Marksdwarves of the Dutiful Dyes have suffered some injury but will live, the Marksdwarves on the southern and eastern walls will withdraw to the courtyard. The Dwarves of the Crested Lenses and Barricaded Inches have rained hell on human and animal alike on the rampart approach. Three elite archers are nearby but have not yet marched to the rampart, they're safe for now.
I'm trying to lure as many soldiers into the ramparts as possible; there is a slight snag in that I forgot where I placed the levers to detonate the rampart pillars. When I find them though, there'll be hell for the poor soldiers.

More ominously, a horse called Worthlesscurled has come back from the dead with black eyes and bloody wounds, signs of what is soon to come.

*EDIT
I found someone's toe on my walls. I think the enemy threw it at my Dwarves.
*EDIT
Worthlesscurled killed a camel whose rider Isun Couragefortress was unconscious due to bolt wounds, two masterwork bolts pinning each leg to her camel. What happened next can only be described as the horse corpse... Grazing.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 09:03:31 pm by Loud Whispers »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: September 09, 2015, 07:29:14 pm »

Truly, the only thing worse than Silentthunders is what Silentthunders sits upon.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #359 on: September 09, 2015, 07:43:47 pm »

Truly, the only thing worse than Silentthunders is what Silentthunders sits upon.
It's one half supernatural disaster!

Also one hammerman was unfortunate enough to be shot in the nose, whilst Logem Metalpanthers had a rude reminder of the cobwebs in the Fortress after running into a Titan web on his way to lunch. A large contingent of swordsdwarves, hammerdwarves and axedwarves are arriving to bolster the humans that made it to the inner palisade (mostly) intact.

*EDIT
The Dwarves have attacked the Palisade.
More human contingents making their way up the yellow brass road gave the humans enough strength to make a run for the courtyard. The Dwarves took offense to this and pulled the levers.
The pikemen encamped in the corridor may have thought they were clever soldiers. By sitting in the hallway they were safe enough and could pretend to be useful by keeping the hallway open for their comrades. Their comrades wouldn't be able to complain that they hadn't risked their necks and their captains couldn't do anything to press them forwards since they were dead. And then with two thunderous booms, one after the other - the world went dark.
A pileup of bipeds and quadrupeds ensued, bones breaking and muscles bruising - neighs and camel spit shaking the air.
The architecture of the Fortress was both alive and vengeful, great blocks of masonry barreling through the human ranks.
As the dust settled and soldiers picked themselves up, dazed, slightly confused but breathing - the first Captains raised their terrible cries and charged. What few humans still conscious and still standing spurned their steeds onwards to meet the Dwarves' charge with their own, buying time for more squads to arrive and force the Dwarves out.
They fought in a vicious scrum, bolts flying overhead and both sides locked pell-mell into a dirty no-quarters battle for survival. Recruits as young as 13 had to remember their training and have faith in their brothers, sisters, mothers and fathers to help them back up when a horserider knocked them down and the pikeman's polearm loomed overhead. The first human defenders were vicious and tough, desperately trying to hold the line; the line was broken. Humans, horses and camels alike were slaughtered in their sleep or dazed waking stupor.
What few survivors remained uninjured from the blast and free from the melee tried to turn back and escape, but found themselves trapped after the brass gates closed.
The soldiers found that even their mounts conspired to kill them. With dead eyes they were crushed underfoot, under Dwarven weapons and undead hooves.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 10:21:06 pm by Loud Whispers »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 32