Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Laziest. Millitary. Ever.

<< < (2/3) > >>

numerobis:
quote:Originally posted by Draco18s:
<STRONG>Doesn't work when you're playing a 2x2 map.  Everything's close to the enemy AND in the line of attack.</STRONG>You need to invest in walls.  Seal yourself off from attack, mass the troops, then exit in a blaze of glory.  Whichever way it goes, it'll be glorious and the troubadours will be singing about it for 1,000 years.  Right, Roland?If dwarves carry water/food/sleep on the floor, you avoid dwarves going for booze at battle time.  But, they get narcoleptic on the battlefield.  Maybe there should be a "don't sleep" option where dwarves just get drowsy and can't fight well and get unhappy, but at least are still in the battle.

Burnme:
I'm fairly certain that smarter and more responsive military options are on the list, if not actually currently in the works. Until then though, I just pause and save before a critical battle moment, exit, run a batch file that switches the raws so that the race i'm playing is no_sleep/no_eat/no_drink, go back in and win the day (or lose), and the rest is history.It works well enough.Oh, and assigning your derfs to smaller or even one-man squads appears to help them arrive to combat closer together.

Puzzlemaker:
Stationing military = very bad idea, because the squad leader HAS to be there for the rest of them to show up.  With patrols, I have found that any available guys in the squad immediately start patrolling.  Plus, as opposed to stationing squads, they stay exactly the patrol path, even if its just a 2x2 box.Setting rations + water also helps a ton, because once they go on duty they can stay on duty a lot longer.

Draco18s:
quote:Originally posted by benoit.hudson:
<STRONG>You need to invest in walls.</STRONG>Walls and channels did indeed get constructed on the one map.  The only way they can get to me "harm free" is if they show up where the wagons do (which, despite showing up everywhere else on the map, they've never done).

Thakh:
Yup.  The problem isn't the defense of the fortress, that's easy to do with the proper passive defenses.  It's the traders and migrants appearing at completely random parts of the map edge that get butchered before any sort of millitary can get over there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version