Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 82

Author Topic: Armchair General General - /AGG  (Read 129616 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Armchair General General - /AGG
« Reply #1005 on: December 12, 2016, 06:08:32 pm »

Unless you're trying to starve them out, giving aid greatly helps the civies and won't help them that much, unless you're including bullets in your aid package.

As for letting them leave rather than forcing unconditionnal surrender, it's usually because it's much easier to negotiate a deal where they leave, so you don't have to spend as much time hunting them down in a city, killing people.

Yep. It's important not to win your siege and lose the war, especially when public opinion in the appeal to citizenry and real countries is a major part of the war.

Except Assad evidently doesn't care about public opinion very much.
He still does provide aid to some civilians in enemy-held territories, though. He doesn't care about opinion of people who back his enemies, yes, but he still takes care to maintain the semblance of... not legitimacy, but rather, normalcy, to his people:
The government has survived a failed revolution because it provides what the rebels can never do—a consistent wage and the promise of a modicum of governance. The regime deftly understood early on that it was necessary to preserve the façade of normalcy. The fate of Libyan leader Mu’amar al-Qadhafi provides a stark contrast. After Qadhafi lost the eastern half of his country in a matter of weeks in 2011, he severed rebel held areas from regime-held territory. He cut off the mobile telephone networks. He ceased providing government services there. Qadhafi was under attack and he ensured that all Libyans knew this.

But Assad drew from a different playbook. He continued paying government salaries to civil servants in rebel territory. Utilities such as electricity and water were only cut off in the most besieged of territories. And the government tried its hardest to make residents forget a war was raging outside their cities. Assad has certainly starved out his enemies (food shortages have been a way of life in places like Aleppo for years and shipments of emergency rations have even been intercepted in rebel enclaves such as Daraya outside of Damascus) in ways reminiscent of World War II. But Assad has justified it to his supporters and fence sitters as a necessary move to stomp out the foreign jihadists threatening their existence. While his critics in the West scoff at such claims they resonate among a population that looks around the Middle East and only sees chaos when governments are toppled in the name of freedom and democracy.
._.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: December 12, 2016, 09:04:51 pm »

Unless you're trying to starve them out, giving aid greatly helps the civies and won't help them that much, unless you're including bullets in your aid package.

As for letting them leave rather than forcing unconditionnal surrender, it's usually because it's much easier to negotiate a deal where they leave, so you don't have to spend as much time hunting them down in a city, killing people.

Yep. It's important not to win your siege and lose the war, especially when public opinion in the appeal to citizenry and real countries is a major part of the war.

Except Assad evidently doesn't care about public opinion very much.

Depends on what sort of public opinion, but yeah.

The rebels at Aleppo did take all of the food and medical supplies for themselves first and rationed the rest of it out to the civilian population, but that isn't super surprising. It's the bullets that matter, and a big part of why the remainder of the pocket fell so quickly is that the rebels were extremely short on ammunition, to the point where the crazier rebel groups were literally attacking the less crazy ones to get more.

And the SAA (and besiegers in general) allowed the defenders safe conduct if they surrender because it's much easier to drive them out in a green bus than clear them out of fortified positions in the city, and if they know they have no way out they'll fight all that much harder.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1007 on: December 12, 2016, 11:51:48 pm »

Starving the defenders means starving the civilians too, and that's unacceptable.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: December 12, 2016, 11:55:33 pm »

Starving the defenders means starving the civilians too, and that's unacceptable.

In modern times at least, but the whole point of a siege is often to simply outlast the enemies food (and possibly water, if it can be choked off) supplies.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 11:57:14 pm by smjjames »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: December 13, 2016, 01:36:43 am »

You could hope that the besieged military forcefully taking food and water from the civilian population could result in a hostile population?
But I somehow doubt that ever goes anywhere.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1010 on: December 13, 2016, 01:58:32 am »

In modern times at least, but the whole point of a siege is often to simply outlast the enemies food (and possibly water, if it can be choked off) supplies.
I know what a siege is. If the civilians actually belonged to the defenders, it would be another story entirely, but that's not the case here. Not everyone in that city is friendly with the rebels.

I was under the impression at first that the Russians and Syrians were actually helping these people, but they're not, they're just attacking. Fair enough. That's probably the best way to help these people. Apparently the rebels are also actively preventing people from leaving and going somewhere safer.

This doesn't seem like a situation where you could actually supply these people who are cut off seeing as how apparently everyone who could leave has run away (around 100,000 people), but allow me to explain my position anyway. My stance earlier was that, given a situation where you can either:
A) Starve the enemy, but also starve civilian hostages who don't support them, and in return you win faster.
B) Supply the enemy, but keep civilians they have hostage from starving to death, and you prolong the battle.

I would choose B. The key word for me here is hostage. These are not the enemy's tax payers, they're bystanders. If the civilians are undeniably on the enemy's side, and they're not fleeing when they know combat is about to happen because they can't or don't want to, they don't deserve to be killed or raped when you take over the city, but if they starve as a side effect of winning the battle and not any direct action, then that's as acceptable as things get when it comes to war. That's how I'd prefer they die; only after all reasonable attempt to keep them alive without undermining the conflict too heavily.

Meanwhile, in the real world, the enemy is trying to work the hostage tactic and the Russians are bombing them anyways, and both sides get to look bad. Oh well.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #1011 on: December 13, 2016, 02:05:44 am »

I belive there is actually retarded variation of Katanas. Fat katanas, slim katanas, light katanas, heavy katanas, longer katanas, shorter katanas and whatever, which supposedly made them useful for various tasks, but that might be just modern thing.
The same way that there is absolutely ridiculous variation in weapons in every other country in the world.
The point was that there isin't just a single version of katana that was used for 200000000 years straight with no variation.
I think.
Whoa whoa whoa. 20, 000, 000, 0? 200, 000, 000. Two hundred million years ago. That was the end of the Triassic.

DINOSAUR KATANAAAAAA
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1012 on: December 13, 2016, 09:08:51 am »

Japan is the land of Katanosaurus Keks.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1013 on: December 13, 2016, 10:42:17 am »

T-rex wants a really long katana that he can use with his short babby arms.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: December 13, 2016, 10:47:10 am »

T-rex wants a really long katana that he can use with his short babby arms.
He'll be looking for a Nodachisaurus.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: December 13, 2016, 05:58:10 pm »

Tanto teeth
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1016 on: December 15, 2016, 08:31:12 am »

As an armchair general...
I fail to see the benefits of giving aid(for humane/any reason) when sieging an enemy entrenched with a civilian population.  I am of the opinion that giving the civilians aid also means giving the enemy aid.  They could take the aid directly from the civilians, end up directly getting some of that aid, and/or they simply have less people to provide for.
Using aid to entice your enemy into surrendering is good. There is the issue however of witholding aid from your citizens who are being held hostage by the enemy, how you keep them supplied without the supplies ending up in the hands of your enemy is a difficult dilemma to solve.
I can't really think of one, I suppose the only ethical thing to do is kill the enemy occupation as quickly as possible to minimize the disruption to ordinary life for civilians caught in the crossfire, or else abandon the siege entirely and allow the enemy occupation to consolidate their hold over your territory

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1017 on: December 15, 2016, 08:43:40 am »

Problem appears when your enemy is so deranged that your aid is a sign of weakness for them.
It should be noted that the only way an COIN operation is going to be 100% succesful is literally worse-than-Hitler military police and executions for slightest sign of breaking the law, to the point of literal genocide.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: December 15, 2016, 10:47:59 am »

Problem appears when your enemy is so deranged that your aid is a sign of weakness for them.
It should be noted that the only way an COIN operation is going to be 100% succesful is literally worse-than-Hitler military police and executions for slightest sign of breaking the law, to the point of literal genocide.

Which is why the nazis never had any opposition in the territory they controlled. Oh wait.

But frankly, I don't see the issue with letting enough food through that everyone in the besieged area can eat. It's not like the rebels are regaining HPs when they eat a sandwhich or anything.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1019 on: December 15, 2016, 12:33:21 pm »

Which is why I said worse than Hitler. And, all things considered, they would have finally succeed if not for external help.
I mean, all my crazy mad patriotism and shit, but Warsaw didin't have any real way to continue after Germans burnt it to ground (which was exactly what Russians wanted, because they would have to face the same problem as Germans otherwise). At some point there are only two choices - die or bend over for the invaders, and most people come to the conclusion that survival might be better idea than getting wiped out completly.
And Nazis were quite flawed because they did it because of racist and such reasons, not pure "we want to win" reasons - if they executed people involved in opposing them instead of just some random jews the message would be much more "do not oppose us so we can have peace and law" rather than "do not oppose us so we can murder you all anyway".
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 82