Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490890 times)

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #4500 on: October 18, 2016, 05:15:33 pm »

Obviously you didn't actually attempt to read anything I wrote from my very first post onwards, because I was always talking about evolution specifically.

Basically I was responding to the idea that everything's changed because we've adapted to the modern world, therefore we can throw out all the old evolutiony shit. Well, we haven't really changed at all.

Biology hasn't changed.

I agree for the most part.

If that's the case, though, you got me. I wasn't trying to argue against everything you've ever said in your life, but pointing out that 74s didn't seem to make the point that evolution had changed, which you debated. I guess it was similar to a sitcom misunderstanding.

In the last decade, with the proliferation and growth of the internet, human society has developed and changed a lot, and so has humanity.

That's the major quote I was looking at, but the meaning of "humanity" is indeed a bit confusing in that sentence. I guess I read that as being redundant. Perhaps it would have been better for them to say 'human species'.

But if you want to talk about sociology and not science (which was the bit I was talking about all along) then why in heck have you derailed the farking science thread with a discussion that was already part of a sociology thread?

Because this conversation was in a gender thread. I think human evolution and sociology is closer to 'science' than a thread about modern gender roles and sex. Even if you disagree, it's what Solifuge wanted. Also, define 'derailed' when the last post was two days ago.

Okay everyone. It's a neat discussion and folks are getting into it, which is cool. However, this discussion has taken over the thread and buried on-topic posts for 5 pages now. Plus, it's getting snippy and personal again.

If you want to continue it, can you please move to a new dedicated thread, or at least to the General Science Thread?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 05:24:59 pm by Calidovi »

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4501 on: October 18, 2016, 09:16:23 pm »

Of course sociology is a bloody science! The anti-"soft"-science discrimination here is really getting to me. First I find a death threat from a root mathematician (get it? radical?), then this?!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4502 on: October 18, 2016, 09:41:19 pm »

Positivism is blind, Antipositivism isn't rigorous, "social science" is an extremely ironic term.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4503 on: October 24, 2016, 12:59:57 am »

Apparently, the evidence for acceleration of Universe's expansion rate is not as concrete as we thought. Link to original scientific article in Nature.

This could be big. If that's true and there is actually no acceleration, then the eponymous "dark energy", the one that is supposed to be like 80% of total mass-energy in the Universe, does not actually exist.
._.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4504 on: October 24, 2016, 01:18:43 am »

Cue a switch in smugness from the pro dark energy people to the anti dark energy people.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4505 on: October 24, 2016, 01:34:52 am »

Anybody hear about the hundreds of possible ETI signals discovered recently?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4506 on: October 24, 2016, 01:40:59 am »

Anybody hear about the hundreds of possible ETI signals discovered recently?

You mean these ones? Apparently they only register 0 to 1 on the (albeit highly subjective) Rio scale. Insignificant to completely un-noteworthy.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4507 on: October 24, 2016, 01:44:33 am »

What criteria were used to rate it?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4508 on: October 24, 2016, 02:07:10 am »

Apparently, the evidence for acceleration of Universe's expansion rate is not as concrete as we thought. Link to original scientific article in Nature.

This could be big. If that's true and there is actually no acceleration, then the eponymous "dark energy", the one that is supposed to be like 80% of total mass-energy in the Universe, does not actually exist.
Well, more accurately, the evidence supporting the dark energy accelerating model is also consistent with a steady expansion model up to 3 sigma, or if the assumptions and calculated deviations are correct then the data gives a 99.7% probability for steady expansion.

They note in the paper that the CODEX telescope will be attempting to observe red shifts with sufficient resolution to see if they change over a 10~15 year period, which should be sufficient to reject either the steady state or accelerating expansion hypothesis.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4509 on: October 24, 2016, 02:10:59 am »

Well, yes, I suppose I haven't clarified that. Still, crazy thing, huh? People actually got Nobel Prize for that shit. One of the few times a physics-related Nobel was given without waiting for decades to confirm its truthfulness, and it turns out to be quite possibly just a statistical artefact?

I can't imagine what these people feel now...
._.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4510 on: October 24, 2016, 03:25:04 am »

They note in the paper that the CODEX telescope will be attempting to observe red shifts with sufficient resolution to see if they change over a 10~15 year period, which should be sufficient to reject either the steady state or accelerating expansion hypothesis.

You should say steady expansion there, not steady state. since steady state is actually another incompatible cosmology model.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4511 on: October 24, 2016, 03:30:45 am »

Whoops, yeah, was looking over the paper in between typing and didn't notice that.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4512 on: October 24, 2016, 08:16:38 am »

What criteria were used to rate it?
"Do they convey plans for a hugely impractical wormhole-generating gyroscope thingy?"

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4513 on: October 24, 2016, 11:37:47 am »

This paper has been in preprint on ArXiV since last year. There was good discussion of it on Physics Forums:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/marginal-evidence-for-cosmic-acceleration-from-type-ia-sne.817386/page-2

What the paper says, is roughly: if we ignore nucleosynthesis and CMB power spectrum, and only consider the SNIa data, then it turns out the accelerating universe is only much more likely, rather than very much more likely than a steady (i.e. Milne-like) expansion - that is, not a solution without dark energy, but a rather convoluted one with DE evolving in a very specific way.

This is a far cry from saying that accelerated expansion is cast in doubt.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4514 on: October 24, 2016, 12:00:14 pm »

This paper has been in preprint on ArXiV since last year. There was good discussion of it on Physics Forums:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/marginal-evidence-for-cosmic-acceleration-from-type-ia-sne.817386/page-2

What the paper says, is roughly: if we ignore nucleosynthesis and CMB power spectrum, and only consider the SNIa data, then it turns out the accelerating universe is only much more likely, rather than very much more likely than a steady (i.e. Milne-like) expansion - that is, not a solution without dark energy, but a rather convoluted one with DE evolving in a very specific way.

This is a far cry from saying that accelerated expansion is cast in doubt.
Ah, okay. So it's just a crank trying to undermine mainstream science, essentially?
._.
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 339