Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 143

Author Topic: The Last Night Troll  (Read 218357 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #1050 on: December 12, 2012, 02:03:01 am »

Character:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You clear your throat. "Please keep it civil while we are potentially in earshot of the guards. Alice, make your distraction; Gwendolyn and I will hit the retreat from opposing sides, causing mayhem and taking what Victims we can. We all meet up at Gwendolyn's old ranch when we finish. I don't want to carry kicking screaming elves all the way to the tower."

Both the women quit bickering and nod, and you whisper basic directions to the ranch into Alice's ear.

"Right. I'll give you two 15 minutes to get in position before starting the party. Count 150 once you hear the chaos begin. I want to make as many guards as I can commit to chasing me. If something tragic happens invent some sort of good story about how I died in epic fashion to impress father." Alice nods grimly and plays with the fletching on one of her arrows as she speaks.

You and the consort split up, flanking the hick settlement and leaving Alice where she is. You get into position and wait. Eventualy you hear screams.

You start the count

Fear begins to rise from the retreat. You lick your lips.

Gwendolyn must have jumped the gun. The fear on the far side of town spikes.

The anticipation is killing you. Less than 20 seconds to go.

Go. You jump the fence and focus creating some illusionary monsters with Dark manipulation. You manage to create a decent sized swarm of fist sized bats. Not the most intimidating illusion ever, but you nonetheless deploy them to harass and distract those who might get close enough to  1d20 = 10 + 2(Skill) = 12

You manage to sneak, aided by the bats, into the heart of town. Just as you think all is going well however you round a corner and find yourself inches away from 3 armed guards with wooden swords. They draw their weapons instinctively and you do the same, but at this close distance their swords are far more useful than your spear. Casting at this distance is out of the question as well. 1d20 = 1 + 4(Skill) + 3(Cameoflauge) + 2(Bats) = 10 (OUCH! NAT 1)

-Well shit.-

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: December 12, 2012, 02:08:13 am »

Hrmm, is it possible to jump away?

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: December 12, 2012, 02:09:39 am »

I say we put our springy legs to use and get out of melee range of the guards.  Then set their swords on fire.  Also, continue with the scary dark manipulation.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: December 12, 2012, 02:10:22 am »

We have Springy Legs and would like to use them. Leap out of the way and then start a fire.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: December 12, 2012, 02:13:29 am »

Sounds good to me.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: December 12, 2012, 02:15:41 am »

i say we declare ourselves the prophet of noctclaw, leftball the mermaid, and send her back to her homesea as high priestess to reform and revitalize the old religion, now with more focus on worshipping night creatures. the mermaids may care little for the old religion but at least they don't condemn it.
she should also take with her a magic mirror to communicate with us and our wizard ally, and they should coordinate their efforts to organize a proper duel between her family and the wizard, gaming the odds in his favour, possibly with some divine intervention. a victory through the proper channels would strengthen our cause

i don't know why you guys haven't thought of taking the locked chest to our less-than-corporeal blacksmith servant, i'm sure he'd make short work of the lock.

as for alice, i think we should disclose with her that the "waiting for the proper gift" gimmick is just a ruse to keep us in favour with her father, that we're far too thankful to her and trust her enough to betray her like that; that we have no interest in a mate with no interest in mating; and that she should do her best to get together with her furry friend and bring her to our cause too. the cult of the trangender goddess is probably the most appropriate faction for a homosexual couple. the wizard is useful to us and we're tankful to him, but he holds too much authority over us, we must take some cards off of his hand

as for the short term plans, i agree with jumping out of the way, obfuscating our retreat with camuflage and darkness manipulation at the first chance

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: December 12, 2012, 02:18:14 am »

i say we declare ourselves the prophet of noctclaw, leftball the mermaid, and send her back to her homesea as high priestess to reform and revitalize the old religion, now with more focus on worshipping night creatures. the mermaids may care little for the old religion but at least they don't condemn it.
she should also take with her a magic mirror to communicate with us and our wizard ally, and they should coordinate their efforts to organize a proper duel between her family and the wizard, gaming the odds in his favour, possibly with some divine intervention. a victory through the proper channels would strengthen our cause

i don't know why you guys haven't thought of taking the locked chest to our less-than-corporeal blacksmith servant, i'm sure he'd make short work of the lock.

as for alice, i think we should disclose with her that the "waiting for the proper gift" gimmick is just a ruse to keep us in favour with her father, that we're far too thankful to her and trust her enough to betray her like that; that we have no interest in a mate with no interest in mating; and that she should do her best to get together with her furry friend and bring her to our cause too. the cult of the trangender goddess is probably the most appropriate faction for a homosexual couple. the wizard is useful to us and we're tankful to him, but he holds too much authority over us, we must take some cards off of his hand

as for the short term plans, i agree with jumping out of the way, obfuscating our retreat with camuflage and darkness manipulation at the first chance
I like the way you think, but think that for the time being we should keep a hold of that priestess, at least long enough to learn from her.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: December 12, 2012, 02:49:05 am »

While it pains me to admit that I support anything written without capitalization, I agree 100% with Askot's suggestion.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: December 12, 2012, 03:17:21 am »

(So your all agree to not being the strongest night troll just to ensure survival of our race? Not going to argue. Got bored)
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: December 12, 2012, 03:34:25 am »

Character:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You crouch down to spring away, but the elves react fast enough take parting swings at you! The first elf misses wide, nearly take a piece out of one of his comrade's face. The second attacker manages to hit you - barely; the swing takes a bit of flesh off your arm, but misses any major blood vesles or nerves. The third swing is dead accurate, but you manage to block it with your buckler.

Guard 1: 1d20 = 5 + 2(Skill) - 3(You are jumping away) = 4
Guard 2: 1d20 = 12 + 2(Skill) - 3(You are jumping away) = 11
Guard 3: 1d20 = 10 + 2(Skill) - 3(You are jumping away) = 9

Landing on a branch you jump around a bit and try to make the guards lose you. This dosn't take much effort. The guards, quite fearful, loudly declare that they must have been seeing things, and decide that it would be wise to go check out whatever disturbance is at the wall. 1d20 = 20 + 4(Skill) + 2(Camouflage) = 26 (Nat 20! New Gift)

You take a few large tree to tree hops, and eventually land within striking distance of the tree where the bacheloretes sleep. You wait a few minutes for all the light sleepers to wake up and go check out the commotion before you jump into the tree to see what is left. You find several sleeping woman ripe for the picking. You suspect you could carry one off to the ranch; two if you could restrain em. You consider each of the elves in turn.

-An elf sleeping completely naked. The only possession kept nearby is a packet of herbs and oils. Her belongings and tattoos imply is in the service of some sort of beauty or nature god
-An older looking elf. It is generally hard to discern an elf's age, but the scars on this one imply that she has been around the block a few times. Her possessions include leather armor and a steel battleaxe.
-An elf with a sewing kit and a few herbs. At first glance you write this one off as having no useful skills, but then you notice that you can see her breath; it is not that cold out.
-One who is lithe and limber looking even for an elf. She keeps lockpicks, a dagger, and clothes of black among her possessions
-An elf in possession of foreign coins and gizmos of all sorts. Her backpack full of gear and well balanced longsword imply that she recently lead the life of a well traveled adventurer
-An elf wearing a chastity belt and covered in divine tattoos. You get the feeling the comunity is grooming her to serve as a direct messenger to the gods, a virgin sacrifice, should the need arise.
-An elf missing an eye and two fingers on her right hand. Several medals proclaiming her bravery and sacrifice are pinned to the tree near where she sleeps.
-A darker skinned elf wearing a flowing robe. You suspect she may be a mage originating from a distant desert retreat.
-An elf bound to the tree by coaxed vines. A note above where she sleeps reads "Warning, Damaged goods. Only marry for chairity or a challenge

Huh. For some reason I seem to have lost recent changes to skills/perks/gifts. I'll get it all straightened out (including your new gift for a nat 20) next time I update.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: December 12, 2012, 04:06:23 am »

Take the last one. I think 'damaged' would make it easier to convert her. If possible put her and the 4th under Eon Manipulation to keep them sleeping then carry them off.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: December 12, 2012, 04:09:26 am »

( Damn not dead :( Not even injured. )

Probably I should choose the tied one

Elves treat her bad, so she may even be grateful for conversion and chance or revenge. Also she is dangerous enough to keep her tied up, that imply some power

Priest may be a nice catch too, I am not quite sure that  Noctclaw is the best god to follow. It would be get nice to get know about another option... I am torn between this two possible mates

(From now on I'll try to play as one of the voices inside our troll head. Got very tired of min\maxing discussions. And hate real life ethics discussions  in RPGs even more than... anything. May drop a word or two about what I hope to see from story. Right now I hope that we'll die before we spend the left stone gift or or free bogeyman, but I'll keep that separate from my suggestions)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 04:39:02 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: December 12, 2012, 04:24:08 am »

Personally i would like to grab an elf that seems to be proficient with magic, divine or otherwise. Though at the same time... i find myself curious about the one tied up.

Fireiy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: December 12, 2012, 04:41:28 am »

Personally i would like to grab an elf that seems to be proficient with magic, divine or otherwise. Though at the same time... i find myself curious about the one tied up.
I agree. Wonder if we could try and see what skills she may have?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: December 12, 2012, 05:32:20 am »

I have a strange desire to  feel the topic with walls of text.

Right now I am curious how do you guys view our character?
My vision is roughly like that

"
Priorities:
1) Personal survival
2) Becoming better than the father
3) Getting friends\allies and not getting unnecessary enemies
4) Well being of the friends
5) Repopulating the world with night trolls

Character: He is very careful, prefers to solve problems without violence,  Respects power. Believes in friendship. Quite rebellious and free willed, easily goes against night troll traditions (friendship with a prey, enchantments) isn't sure that his family behaved in a right way. Obviously dislike elves more than any other race

Relationships

Foghorn:  Respects him for being stronger them himself. Also his character reminds the character of the father. Despite the respect wouldn't accept being ordered

Gwen: Confused by his feeling, but obliviously she is his first love

Alice: Strange relationships, friendship based on good initial expression, saved life, flattering offer to let convert herself, and the fact she is being abused by her father like he was abused by his father
Reason why he considers to convert her is not the fact that she may make a good mate, but because being a human... well sucks. In his mind. Humans are prey, it's much better to be a superior being. His friend deserves to be stronger. Either as night troll consort or real night troll.
Consorting aren't that compatible with friendship, because it makes her dependable on us until she raise a child, something that she likely don't want to do
That's why I see as totally logical idea to help a friend and convert Alice to a real, free willed, female night troll. The character is quite sure in his own ability to make night trolls and free from traditions that he may not even care much if Alice choose to have no babies at all and live a happy lesbian live ( Yes, minmaxers, I know, that's terrible strategy. No need to say that. I am not going to argue. I didn't use the argument that children aren't everything because counterarguments are oblivious )

Nocteclaw: I see reasons for him to have  to have desire to became her adept. She admired that she is weak and he respects power. She is not really a mother\father.  They got created accidentally. If anyone can get called a father, then it's Sol.She didn't save night trolls from a genocide. And the worst she will enforce her will to a quite rebellious teenager and he understands that "

I am not going to defend that opinion. It's not a strategy or suggestion, it's my vision of our character, hopefully my suggestions will make more sense for you from now
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 143