Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 143

Author Topic: The Last Night Troll  (Read 218544 times)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #1170 on: December 14, 2012, 01:50:15 pm »

Because they obviously can live on land, like mermaid in our tower shows.
the mermaid on our tower is wearing enchanted jewellery to be able to survive on land

Corruptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Come to the dark side, we have cookies. And beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: December 14, 2012, 01:59:40 pm »

Do we really need to lock ourselves down? Our characters are stealthy and can hide outside pretty well
We're stealthy, but a posse of elves, most presumably with plant empathy and on their guard, will be very difficult to hide from.

The boarding up of the windows idea could work, but we need traps and barricades as well.
Chaos rises, as all Order dies.

Instinct, Intellect, Intuition

Walk always in the Shadow, and both Darkness and Light will follow.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: December 14, 2012, 02:38:14 pm »

the mermaid on our tower is wearing enchanted jewellery to be able to survive on land
So, why  not mass produce such jewelry? Despite I highly doubt that night troll created will be that merfolklike

Do we really need to lock ourselves down? Our characters are stealthy and can hide outside pretty well
We're stealthy, but a posse of elves, most presumably with plant empathy and on their guard, will be very difficult to hide from.

The boarding up of the windows idea could work, but we need traps and barricades as well.
If we barricade, we badly need a reserve escape route.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: December 14, 2012, 02:39:04 pm »

Your fun will be ruined if we switch a playing character? Really? Ouch...

What's being pointed out here is that the rest of us who have sticked with this charachter coming up on seventy five pages feel some affection for and like the character we have crafted, and that we will be displeased if you sabotage him to switch characters.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: December 14, 2012, 02:42:19 pm »

So, why  not mass produce such jewelry? Despite I highly doubt that night troll created will be that merfolklike

Magical items are difficult to make and require souls or strange moods, there is no potential for mass production that does not involve genocide.
I agree with you that we need a possible escape route no matter what, and that we shouldn't rely solely on stealth. I like the idea of relying on traps, if the traps don't take down any number of our opponents and they greatly outnumber us i support scorched earth.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: December 14, 2012, 02:48:17 pm »

Unless there's a more emotional sentient race in the ocean, the merfolk wouldn't make very good food. Remember, when we first met this one, she was not afraid. And she only got a little twinge of fear later on.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: December 14, 2012, 02:54:14 pm »

What's being pointed out here is that the rest of us who have sticked with this charachter coming up on seventy five pages feel some affection for and like the character we have crafted, and that we will be displeased if you sabotage him to switch characters.
I'll not sabotage character ever. I'll never make suicidal suggestions or the like. I always make suggestions that make sense roleplaywise. I know how to separate IC and OOC. But I have a full right to hope for the rolls I like. As well as promoting suggestions that I like and that make sense to my vision of the character.
And yes I know that others may play the game in any way they want, including playing in strategy game for night troll race.  I never insulted anyone (at least willingly)

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: December 14, 2012, 02:56:03 pm »

Okay, i can respect that, just making sure.

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: December 14, 2012, 03:58:39 pm »

I must say, I do agree with UR on not converting kelpmier, at least until we understand her better. If she really is serious about the whole, eternal servitude oath thing, THEN convert her.
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Right, the !!☼ARMCHAIR☼!!. I forgot.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: December 14, 2012, 04:27:52 pm »

Great thread and great DM, just finished reading everything.  Anyway maybe it would be better to use the left stone to impregnate a consort rather than transforming anyone.  The child would likely be more loyal and dependent on us than some random female.  This would also make us the literal father of the entire species further cementing night troll unity beneath us.  Also would it be possible to set up an illusion of our group inside the house so everyone from the posse rushes in.  Then shut he door behind them so they are trapped and set the place on fire.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: December 14, 2012, 04:31:16 pm »

Great thread and great DM, just finished reading everything.  Anyway maybe it would be better to use the left stone to impregnate a consort rather than transforming anyone.  The child would likely be more loyal and dependent on us than some random female.  This would also make us the literal father of the entire species further cementing night troll unity beneath us.  Also would it be possible to set up an illusion of our group inside the house so everyone from the posse rushes in.  Then shut he door behind them so they are trapped and set the place on fire.

This... is actually a really good point.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: December 14, 2012, 04:33:14 pm »

Well, male night trolls are literally incapable of having daughters but of course, the GM has final say.
Though, the night troll we create will still be of our line, in a way, no matter what.  Not by blood, but we did transform her.  It'd be an unprecedented thing, really.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about setting our house on fire.  You guys?

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: December 14, 2012, 04:34:32 pm »

We're not wolves, and in fact wolves work together better than you assume we would. We're people, we can work together.
By your logic, all human societies should have collapsed long ago.
Night trolls aren't humans. Different morals, different life span, different instincts, different food and no dark god to rule. And humans had many, many wars with nations far less different than different branches of night trolls 
And by my logic, many human societies had collapsed long time ago.
Night trolls are still capable of working together, as shown by the fact that we're working together with Gwen and the fact that we're not total dunces.
The analogy is faulty. We'll be family to our family, and have outside threats in common. Both f these have bound humans together, and will bind us together.

You'd rather not spend it or DIE than spend it on the mermaid? Fool. Seriously, it's good to have allies with the merfolk and a night troll line which can't be so easily slain. If the elves drive us out of their forest, we will have the endless seas.
Yes, genius. I don't want to create a totally independent powerful  subrace of zealots that most likely will be either enemies or masters for our sons
Do you know what happens when fanatically religious group meets  atheistic, less religious or wrong religion group?
Depends. If they have a god and goals in common and no reason to hate each other, but one owes another something (a night troll gift would be a great gift indeed), the religious one would probably be willing to work with the other.

Consorts aren't bound forever. Anyways, Alice has already said we could consortify her.
They are. They can't reproduce without night trolls (or maybe troll  that converted consort) , that's quite binding. Female night troll can choose their mate freely
Reproduction isn't everything. Just like real life, not everyone wants kids, or wants a a lot of them.
So what?

sharks don't compete with wolves. the mermaid is equipped with a number of magical trinkets that allows her to leave the water; the fact that mermaids aren't a land conquering power hints that these trinkets aren't that common. if you want to minimize the competition for our children, creating a night creature that hunts in a completely different ecosystem, and is even unable to naturally enter our children' domain, would be the perfect choice
1) Night trolls need to hunt, suitable prey is present only on shores. Ecosystem is same
2) They will be amphibious not marine.
3) They may evolve in many other different kind of night trolls
4) Do you see any seas around? Those merfolks are surely river\lake based
So Nocteclaw made a race of underwater creatures without anyone else? She was so desperate for worshippers that she put them in an environment without any sacrifices outside their own kind? And anyways, Nocteclaw isn't nice. I can so see merfolk feeding the night trolls convicts and sacrifices, which if they're our enemies like you claim can only help us.
2. Again, they need magic to go on land.
3. Evolution doesn't really work that way...
4. They have land-magic. Don't assume. Anyways...so?

if it was up to me we'd be fanatically religious too. religion makes a lot more sense and is an even better world domination tool in a world where gods actually exist
Well that's exactly why I'd rather see character dead. I don't like religious pure evil fanatics way, not the kind of story I like and not the way I'd like to see character developed. All the story before, like nice relationships with Gwen, or friendship with Alice are much more fun for me. Not evil force that strives to conquer the world, no matter what but race with it's own moral code that want to survive.
What part of "worships the god/dess of the night" implies "pure evil"? Anyways, I can see in-story reasons for worshipping Nocteclaw, from fear to faith to Nocteclaw's meddling.

As for  an even better world domination tool: munchkin detected.
What, a night troll can't determine what pragmatic choices are?

besides, since we're the ones choosing who to get the leftstone, that'd give us a status second only to noctclaw itself among the newly created race.
Well, I agree. If we'll be totally obedient to Noctclaw, fanatics will like us and may be not masters but slaves. But then we are slaves of Noctclaw, no much better fate
Geez. Why do you assume that worshipping Nocteclaw and showing some devotion means that we're slaves to him/her? It's like real religions, except that the god is real. How many Christians would consider themselves or act like slaves to God?

what? no. mermaids are suitable prey too
Merfolk are very fear resistant. So no, they aren't suitable prey
Says who?

mermaids are marine, not amphibious. why would a night troll race based on an exclusively marine race be amphibious?
Because they obviously can live on land, like mermaid in our tower shows. Besides we should get night troll with mermaid influenced traits not mermaid\night troll hybrid or as you say - troll based on mermaid
They need magic to live on land.

i don't see any river either, and merpeople inhabit oceans in df universe
My bad, haven't play DF for a long time. (Still my bad, story included mention that they are from see, forgot about it)  But what do you want to do with the problem that we are far from sea? Just spend her away and hope that sometimes, years later we'll get an ally from see? Isn't that a waste of gift?
No. We get in the good graces of a race and a god/dess. Besides, we can either move closer to shore or ask about this magic they have.

though i at least find it a bit ungraceful of you to prefer to see our fun ruined just because you didn't have it your way
Where did he say that?
And why should we want the PC to die? Or not not want him to die?

So, why  not mass produce such jewelry?
Several possible reasons, but we don't know enough about magic to tell. Most likely, mass producing magical anything isn't economical.

Despite I highly doubt that night troll created will be that merfolklike
Why? And why does it matter?

Agreed. Let's say...jump and run through the forest?

Unless there's a more emotional sentient race in the ocean, the merfolk wouldn't make very good food. Remember, when we first met this one, she was not afraid. And she only got a little twinge of fear later on.
She's from a society worshipping a dark god/dess. She's probably familiar with night creatures and hardened. We don't know how they're affected by magical fear...

I must say, I do agree with UR on not converting kelpmier, at least until we understand her better. If she really is serious about the whole, eternal servitude oath thing, THEN convert her.
Agreed.

I'm not sure, maybe if we can't find anyone who would be a good Left Stoner.
I really do like the idea of using illusions to conceal our absence, but where will we hide and how will we illusion...ate? And can you think of a way to do it that doesn't require us to set the barn on fire?

This is weird, normally I'm the guy with almost no one behind him....
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: December 14, 2012, 04:39:54 pm »

Uh... Wyrm... I do just want to say that I happily think of myself as a slave/servant of God.

But yeah, I don't think there's anything wrong with not ticking off Nocteclaw.  I mean, you guys wouldn't be atheists if you knew God existed.  I am fairly certain no one would knowingly piss off a god.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: December 14, 2012, 04:50:51 pm »

Uh... Wyrm... I do just want to say that I happily think of myself as a slave/servant of God.
...Oops.
Not all Christians do, though, as shown by my interviewing a religious Christian friend who happened to be nearby when I was posting my post, so we don't have to be a slave to Nocteclaw.

But yeah, I don't think there's anything wrong with not ticking off Nocteclaw.  I mean, you guys wouldn't be atheists if you knew God existed.  I am fairly certain no one would knowingly piss off a god.
Agnostic. But yeah.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 143