Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 143

Author Topic: The Last Night Troll  (Read 218483 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #1770 on: December 26, 2012, 04:20:20 pm »

Ukranian, you keep throwing around the idea of writing a fire magic book, and i don't mean to be a dick, but i don't think that's how it works. Books about magic are books filled with knowledge, not necessarily magical books, how we enchant the book doesn't matter, what we write in it does.
You completely misunderstood my idea....
Haven't you note that I proposed to use Phyros brain in the enchantment? I want to extract his magical knowledge to the paper
Another option is to make it generate new texts like connecting to some global fire manipulation knowledge base.
I don't think that would work, or be worth it.

As for why female night trolls need traits, I quite suspect that they have a different gift system and their own  traits may be more important. Or may not. 
I suspect not...

And guys, let's not make long term megaplans that need years to become viable. It's not how young trolls think. And Nochteclaw asked us to use the left stone not save it for ages.
Also, we can't be sure that our son will get the same first gift as we did
(And fucking son's wife..... ewwwww)
I agree with pretty much all of this.
It still couldn't hurt to try and push our son down a religious path. It's not wrong, either, unless billions of parents IRL are equally wrong.

And don't be mad, sending Alice and Rox Alone is a way too dangerous. Underground is a dangerous place, it's not wise to not use someone used to caverns.
Well, they're both powerful warriors...but as they're not too used to the caverns and Jimma has nothing better to do, I suggest sending her with. If they'll let Jim a come, of course.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: December 26, 2012, 04:33:08 pm »

Fire book probably not worth a gift... ( But I'd try that if we got a a soul) That could make learning fire magic way easier
Maybe discuss the possibility to make such a book with Gwen? Or extracting Phyros knowledge from the brain in general (BTW, do we know IC that brain = mind? Is it even true for the setting? )

BTW, I am not sure that family fire magic lesson without Alice is viable... If we don't train her it's a  waste of time. Gwen doesn't really need fire manipulation, except, maybe, for making fire enchantments. But I doubt that we'll have many souls to do all that

Better to try experiment with the artifact or try level up animal empathy by training lovebirds\looking for owl. Fire magic is not our combat skill. Eon manipulation is. Having two high level combat skills is much less important than improving utility skills
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 04:36:04 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: December 26, 2012, 04:35:26 pm »

Fire book probably not worth a gift... ( But I'd try that if we got a a soul) That could make learning fire magic way easier
Maybe discuss the possibility to make such a book with Gwen? Or extracting Phyros knowledge from the brain in general (BTW, do we know IC that brain = mind? Is it even true for the setting? )
Fire book possible not even possibility.

BTW, I am not sure that family fire magic lesson without Alice is viable... If we don't train her it's a  waste of time. Gwen doesn't really need fire manipulation, except, maybe, for making fire enchantments.

Better to try experiment with the artifact or try level up animal empathy by training lovebirds\looking for owl. Fire magic is not our combat skill. Eon manipulation is. Having two high level combat skills is much less important than improving utility skills
Sounds acceptable.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: December 26, 2012, 04:36:59 pm »

Haven't you note that I proposed to use Phyros brain in the enchantment? I want to extract his magical knowledge to the paper
Another option is to make it generate new texts like connecting to some global fire manipulation knowledge base.
Of cause that enchantment( as all others, should be done by Gwen)
I don't blame myself for not guessing this, you never really made it clear that this is what you were thinking. Anyway, how would we accomplish this? Even if we had some kind of magic relevant to making a fire magic internet, or transferring knowledge through some kind of magic osmosis, we would need huge amounts of power to accomplish such a feat. Power we do not possess.
And don't be mad, sending Alice and Rox Alone is a way too dangerous. Underground is a dangerous place, it's not wise to not use someone used to caverns.

I can understand this sentiment, and won't get muchly in the way of sending Jimma the bodygaurd along with them, but i also feel it prudent for them to have privacy to work out their problems. Whatever the case i don't feel it is much of a big deal either way. Something of a compromise would be to explain to them that if they go underground they may need Jimma's protection, as we don't know what's down there and Alice shines like a beacon in such a dark place, suggest that if they would like privacy that they may go for a walk outside.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: December 26, 2012, 04:57:13 pm »

Of cause that enchantment( as all others, should be done by Gwen)
I don't blame myself for not guessing this, you never really made it clear that this is what you were thinking. Anyway, how would we accomplish this? Even if we had some kind of magic relevant to making a fire magic internet, or transferring knowledge through some kind of magic osmosis, we would need huge amounts of power to accomplish such a feat. Power we do not possess.

I can understand this sentiment, and won't get muchly in the way of sending Jimma the bodygaurd along with them, but i also feel it prudent for them to have privacy to work out their problems. Whatever the case i don't feel it is much of a big deal either way. Something of a compromise would be to explain to them that if they go underground they may need Jimma's protection, as we don't know what's down there and Alice shines like a beacon in such a dark place, suggest that if they would like privacy that they may go for a walk outside.

Another time and I'd agree with you but I would rather not send off Foghorn's daughter to possibly get lost or killed in the caverns right before he arrives for a big party we're throwing.  Lets tell the tiger (Rox?) that we'd love for them to have some time together in the caverns but that it would be much better if that time could be put off until after Foghorn leaves and the party is over.

How about we spend all the time we have now preparing for Foghorn.  Training is great and I normally would full-heartedly back up that idea but can't we wait to train until after the big feast?  I can't help but feel that impressing Foghorn is a more time sensitive and temporarily important task.  Hell, maybe after the feast we can even ask him to train us a bit in magic.  (cough cough necromancy)  Seriously though any form of magic training from him would likely be useful.

How about we have our puppet consort bring out the box for Foghorn at the end of the meal.  Maybe not the flashiest option but its safe and it shows a little more planning and consideration than sticking it under his chair.  Plus before we bring it out, we can build up suspense and say something like "By the way, before we wrap things up for the night, I would just like to bring out a little gift for you to show how much I appreciate what you've done for me and my family so far."
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: December 26, 2012, 05:09:53 pm »

True enough.

Jimma probably won't help a lot with preparation, and since she used to fight for a dwarven fortress is probably pretty experienced with caverns. If we sent her along, they'd probably be fine.

Anyway, I don't actually care much what we do before Foghorn gets here. I'm leaning towards "preparation," but don't feel like arguing over it. Pick your battles...
Sig

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: December 26, 2012, 05:25:07 pm »

We have our furniture, we have our ghost making platinum cutlery, what does preparing mean for us right now? Food? We pretty much have to wait for Cherlyn. Until then we may as well spend time with our son doing something productive. That's just my thoughts though, and i don't feel strongly either way. 

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: December 26, 2012, 05:25:29 pm »

I dislike the whole gift to Foghorn idea. Does he have a birthday or what? We are allies, not his vassal. Let's not behave like that

We may give it to him... well because we learned that he looked for it from the tree and decided that he have full right for the trophy . That how he views that. I am sure
Or we may say the truth - that we aren't sure that opening the box is a good idea and think that he will find a better use for it

Same goes to the feast... It's look like you want to impress your lord not meet an ally to discuss future plans.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: December 26, 2012, 05:46:10 pm »

Lord? Hardly, there are many many reasons one would want to impress someone, more than one of which applies here.
1. Foghorn and company are allies, we want to cement their loyalty and convince them that we are at least as worthy as an ally as he is.
2. Foghorn has done a great deal for us, debts should be repaid lest they be called in later.
3. Foghorn is our friend, and his friendship is a powerful gift. If we reinforce our friendship he will trust us more, and in turn the benefits of the friendship will grow.
4. Foghorn is already surprised by us, giving him such an impressive gift may bring him further off-balance, this is a good thing wether he is destined to be a lasting friend or eventual foe, it means he may not know what to expect from us.

Also, there isn't a lot we can do with a box full of an entire species. We know from a number of sources that foghorn desperately wants it, and giving it as a gift would be ultimately beneficial.
Friends give eachother presents you know, not just servants, don't you know what season it is?

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: December 26, 2012, 05:54:48 pm »

I dislike the whole gift to Foghorn idea. Does he have a birthday or what? We are allies, not his vassal. Let's not behave like that

We may give it to him... well because we learned that he looked for it from the tree and decided that he have full right for the trophy . That how he views that. I am sure
Or we may say the truth - that we aren't sure that opening the box is a good idea and think that he will find a better use for it

Same goes to the feast... It's look like you want to impress your lord not meet an ally to discuss future plans.

I'm not saying we grovel to him, its just that he's powerful, useful and our friend (which we want to maintain right?).  Besides having him in a good mood from visiting us means that he may decide to help us more.  The box isn't tribute to a lord nor is it his birthday and I'm not doing it to kiss up.  I had suggested that we open the box but others did not seem to think it a good idea.  IF we aren't going to open the box then shouldn't we at least gain something from it (like goodwill from Foghorn) or would you rather just have it sit around and collect dust in our tower?  If you've had a change of heart on the other hand then maybe we could open that baby up.  I'm sure our ghost smith could accomplish such a task easily.

That said I'm open to other ideas as well.  Does anyone have another idea of what use that box could be put to besides opening it, selling it or giving it to Foghorn as a gift?  I don't feel strongly about this, I just figured the box could be put to a use instead of sitting around.  Really doesn't matter to me though.

If we're done with all preparations then great, for some reason I just felt like there was something we haven't done yet.  Though that's usually how I feel in real life when guests are coming over too.  So alright, I think another person and I had both suggested taming the lovebirds for flight earlier.  That or training magic/skills all seem like good options.

Oh and thanks for the agreement Mlamlah  :D
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: December 26, 2012, 06:46:43 pm »

Three things.
1. We're friends. We're not going to skimp.
2. Foghorn could probably anhilate us if he really wanted to. If he couldn't, he could definitely tell the world where we are and knock down a couple tower walls to help.
3. We have no use for the box; Foghorn wants it. It makes sense to cement our alliance, especially as it doesn't cost us much, if anything.
Sig

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: December 26, 2012, 06:54:47 pm »

Yeah, UR, when your (pretty much) best and only (mortal) friend pays a visit, you should treat him better than you would treat a lord.  It's just being a good friend.

Also, with Rox and Alice, how would you feel if your lord (she is our consort) sent your rival to protect you during your romantic time with your lover?
We definitely should clear it with her first, though I suspect she would not like it.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: December 26, 2012, 07:02:11 pm »

If we absolutely must send a tag-along if they go underground then i suggest we point out the alternative of merely going outside if they would like privacy.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: December 26, 2012, 07:03:32 pm »

I am noty saying about not giving it away ( IMO, I was the first who proposed that)
I am against doing it in a spectacular fashion or making a big deal of that. We are not gifting it, we are returning it

Also, with Rox and Alice, how would you feel if your lord (she is our consort) sent your rival to protect you during your romantic time with your lover?
We definitely should clear it with her first, though I suspect she would not like it.
Since when Alice and Jimma became rivals?

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: December 26, 2012, 07:06:38 pm »

They're rivals just as my two dogs are rivals.  If I have one dog treat, who am I going to give it to?

My favorite.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 143