Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 143

Author Topic: The Last Night Troll  (Read 221307 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #300 on: November 20, 2012, 11:16:47 pm »

Yeah, yeah, I want to avoid dying. So sue me, figurative money ain't good for a corpse.
Oh, you think you can die as a result of forum game? Believe me you'll not.
As for character, we are far, far away from dying. Vendel will not kill such a valuable tool, he will just treat us worse. And even if our little troll will die, so what? (BTW, how many forum suggestion games ended with the death of main character? Name me few)

If we can find a woman with combat skills. Hm, not like this is a pseudo-medieval society, making women with combat skills sufficient to overcome a mage one in a million, on top of the low odds of them being locateable...
Yep, let's not even try. It's better
And what exceptional  skills are needed to overcome Vendel? He is not a combat mage

And what makes you think we have to attack the elf for him to notice her?
The fact that he will not actively look for another night troll. Yep, there are some risk that he do notice her, I know. All complex ideas have a chance of failure. Only ones like - "look around" don't

Oh, yes, attack him with one arm while woozy from blood-loss when he defeated us when we had surprise, two arms, and were at our best. Maybe he threw away his magic dagger?
He defeated us only because he got lucky, combination of his natural 20 and our low result had chance like 2% (Yep I know that it's metagamey but still ) Had we fight with him using our normal methods (fire magic, eon manipulation, darkness) It would be an easy victory.
And that's exactly what we should do if we get a chance for revenge

Yup, arms aren't important, not like we'll be heavily restricted by only having one arm.
Hint, I'm being sarcastic.
You can be sarcastic, but being a slave is a far more restricting

But let's say we found a healer of sufficient power. We're still a Night Troll. Do you think s/he would heal us out of the goodness of their heart?
Night trolls have methods to force someone to do something. And there are different kinds of healers

We've been around a few wizards and the daughter of a wizard since we arrived; we haven't seen the larger society. 
IIRC, Foghorn told us that there are many weak wizards around

I think that cutting our arm of is a terrible idea which should not be considered at this time.
Sure, one more risk averse person.
Can you offer some non-terrible ideas?

« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 11:19:41 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

jaass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 20, 2012, 11:23:17 pm »

Can we put Vindel into a infinite time loop? We are not harming him per say.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 20, 2012, 11:29:26 pm »

I think no, while putting him in the loop doesn't harm him, we know that miscast can harm it and we can't risk his health
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 21, 2012, 12:08:01 am »

Yeah, yeah, I want to avoid dying. So sue me, figurative money ain't good for a corpse.
Oh, you think you can die as a result of forum game? Believe me you'll not.
As for character, we are far, far away from dying. Vendel will not kill such a valuable tool, he will just treat us worse. And even if our little troll will die, so what? (BTW, how many forum suggestion games ended with the death of main character? Name me few)
I won't, but I try to put myself in the mind of the character, who is at risk and doesn't realise that he's the protagonist. Also, this elf strikes me as the type to kill us if we end up doing more harm than good, and it sure sounds lime we're doing that.

If we can find a woman with combat skills. Hm, not like this is a pseudo-medieval society, making women with combat skills sufficient to overcome a mage one in a million, on top of the low odds of them being locateable...
Yep, let's not even try. It's better
And what exceptional  skills are needed to overcome Vendel? He is not a combat mage
More skills than we had.

And what makes you think we have to attack the elf for him to notice her?
The fact that he will not actively look for another night troll. Yep, there are some risk that he do notice her, I know. All complex ideas have a chance of failure. Only ones like - "look around" don't
How dumb does he have to be not to have enough magical surveillance on us to be able to tell if we're regularly meeting somewhere, and how do we know this hypothetical warrior woman who we turn into a night troll will keep a low profile?

Oh, yes, attack him with one arm while woozy from blood-loss when he defeated us when we had surprise, two arms, and were at our best. Maybe he threw away his magic dagger?
He defeated us only because he got lucky, combination of his natural 20 and our low result had chance like 2% (Yep I know that it's metagamey but still ) Had we fight with him using our normal methods (fire magic, eon manipulation, darkness) It would be an easy victory.
And that's exactly what we should do if we get a chance for revenge
Luck was on his side, but now he knows us better. Let's not throw him a bone.
Or metagame.

Yup, arms aren't important, not like we'll be heavily restricted by only having one arm.
Hint, I'm being sarcastic.
You can be sarcastic, but being a slave is a far more restricting
We're not a slave, we have too much freedom. Anyways, you know what's more restricting? Being a corpse.

But let's say we found a healer of sufficient power. We're still a Night Troll. Do you think s/he would heal us out of the goodness of their heart?
Night trolls have methods to force someone to do something. And there are different kinds of healers
We've met...no healers. You seem to know a lot about them.
And what methods protect us from their screams and spreading of rumors? Heal me, then I kill you and hope no one finds out that you're dead for a few weeks?

We've been around a few wizards and the daughter of a wizard since we arrived; we haven't seen the larger society. 
IIRC, Foghorn told us that there are many weak wizards around
Weak. Wizards. Not strong healers. Besides, weak could mean "a decade less experience than me" or "burns down the house while boiling water."

I think that cutting our arm of is a terrible idea which should not be considered at this time.
Sure, one more risk averse person.
Can you offer some non-terrible ideas?
Sure.
Work within his rules and use every ambiguity and loophole against him.

I think no, while putting him in the loop doesn't harm him, we know that miscast can harm it and we can't risk his health
We could, however, try. When we're not being closely watched. It would help us understand the limits of our bindings, too.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 21, 2012, 12:13:02 am »

RE: non-terrible ideas.
-Send a bird to Alice. She owes us one and can come help break us out.
-Survey the area at night for good escape routes once we do break free.
-Examine the enchanting workshop during the night and look for a book on enchantment so we can disenchant the bracelet.
-If all else fails, send Vindel as far into the future as we can and just wait it out in Vindel's workshop.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 21, 2012, 12:50:44 am »

but I try to put myself in the mind of the character, who is at risk and doesn't realise that he's the protagonist
Oh, so you want to roleplay a coward, OK. Then your suggestions are perfectly logical. I'd like to see another kind of character

Also, this elf strikes me as the type to kill us if we end up doing more harm than good
Why kill us if he can order anything?

We're not a slave, we have too much freedom.
As long as we get no worse orders.

Sure.
Work within his rules and use every ambiguity and loophole against him.
So, in short: "Do nothing and hope for the best?" Let him use us? Let him create enemies for ourself? Let him send us on any suicide mission he wants?

Oh... And just a little "let's find what can go wrong" from me

-Send a bird to Alice. She owes us one and can come help break us out.
Terrible, the bird could work on Vindel, elves are known to employ animals.
-Survey the area at night for good escape routes once we do break free.
Terrible. What if someone sees us? That will create so many problems. Let's sit entire night in the basement. It's safe.  Besides what can Alice do? We decided that Vindel is unbeatable ubermage
Examine the enchanting workshop during the night and look for a book on enchantment so we can disenchant the bracelet.
Oh, Vindel will be mad when he finds that attempt, besides we can hurt ourself by trying enchantments
If all else fails, send Vindel as far into the future as we can and just wait it out in Vindel's workshop.
Terrible. Doubt that we can do that, besides if we fail he will be mad at us and much more cautious (this time I am serious)

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 21, 2012, 12:58:40 am »

I vote that we ignore Ukrainian Ranger on the grounds that he is enormously butthurt about us not listening to his suggestion.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 21, 2012, 01:02:48 am »

I have a suggestion that is feasible, although it may have backlash that we cannot necessarily predict.  We could incriminate our intrepid master in the crimes that we know he has committed.
Something to think about, he doesn't seem to know... that we know, his other companions may also crack if the rumor breaks out.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 21, 2012, 01:32:18 am »

I vote that we ignore Ukrainian Ranger on the grounds that he is enormously butthurt about us not listening to his suggestion.
LOL. I just like discussion, even if they are a bit rough. Just posting a suggestion or +1 isn't really fun

I have a suggestion that is feasible, although it may have backlash that we cannot necessarily predict.  We could incriminate our intrepid master in the crimes that we know he has committed.
Something to think about, he doesn't seem to know... that we know, his other companions may also crack if the rumor breaks out.
So, you want to make enemies for our master. How do you think who will fight against that enemies?
b) Look for loopholes, find allies, weaken the magic and so on. ( Minus: It's damn hard to intrigue if you must answer questions like "What are you trying to do to get out? What did you do last night? " And if Vindel is not an idiot he'll ask that. While half-truth may help, most likely it will not. IMO it's a worst route
c) Find a way to get rid of the bracelet NOW (Minus: It's not easy to do)

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 21, 2012, 01:45:19 am »

For now, search the area we're allowed in.

Let's have the elf help us make a new magical weapon. Maybe a sword or knife that absorbs life force or something?

My official vote is here.
 I already said that the action i brought up could have consequences, i wasn't outright extolling it, but it's something we could talk about instead of rehashing the same "Lets cut off our arm!" idea that has already been rejected by most of us. I'm against removing our arm by the way, except to avoid doing something we *really* do not want to do.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 21, 2012, 01:49:53 am »

b) Look for loopholes, find allies, weaken the magic and so on. ( Minus: It's damn hard to intrigue if you must answer questions like "What are you trying to do to get out? What did you do last night? " And if Vindel is not an idiot he'll ask that. While half-truth may help, most likely it will not. IMO it's a worst route

This sort of twisty logic requires even twistier logic to counteract: We must precommit ourselves to preemptively abandoning all escape plans that are in danger of being discovered within the immediate future due to us being forced to answer questions about them. That way, when asked "What do you plan to do to escape?" we are forced to honestly answer that we've given up on all of our plans to escape because we know he'll figure them out.

E: Also, we should come up with some unworkable and stupid plans to escape so that we have something to tell him when he asks "Well, what DID you plan to do to escape?"
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 01:55:45 am by Grek »

Fireiy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 21, 2012, 03:30:24 am »

If he asks, just say we were planning on cutting off our arm or something. But, yeah lets make up some horrible, unworkable, stupid plans to tell him.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 21, 2012, 04:13:25 am »

Just a lurker.

If I am correct, we have fire magic. And the bracelet is steel. It may be impossibly painful, but would it be possible to melt the bracelet off with enough fire?

Or do I fail science and magic forever?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 21, 2012, 04:34:41 am »

If he asks, just say we were planning on cutting off our arm or something
Gods, no... Then you'll take away option to get rid of hand if we get a suicidal order. I really can't understand why everyone is so opposed to this solution with temporal injury but at least do not take it as last rersort

If I am correct, we have fire magic. And the bracelet is steel. It may be impossibly painful, but would it be possible to melt the bracelet off with enough fire?
If we can't send it in the future, then we can't melt it away. Besides arm damage would be so severe that it's no better than chopping it off

Can we at least search Vindel shop for healing magic? As enchanter he may have that.
and\or Look for healer in the town

« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 04:37:15 am by Ukrainian Ranger »

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 21, 2012, 04:37:01 am »

Well, a removed hand may end up with us bleeding out before we can get help. Foghorn could regrow it, and we only need one hand to claw someone's face off or cast a spell.

A melted hand(if we can) could be fixed up by Foghorn before we die.

Do not tell Vindel about the hand plan, we may need to use it.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 04:40:19 am by Corai »
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 143