Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 143

Author Topic: The Last Night Troll  (Read 221349 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #705 on: December 02, 2012, 06:21:56 pm »

She is pretty thin...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: December 02, 2012, 07:22:25 pm »

Character:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That... that sucks. First thing we should do is express regret and concern, tell her that her kidney may be hurt and offer her the chance to go back to the tower and rest.
If she still leaves it up to us... what do we do? Go on?

You offer Gwendolyn a concerned look. "Yeah. Sorry about that. I tried. I think he hit you in the Kidney. Just because our kind doesn't feel pain doesn't mean we are indestructible. You could be hurt."

"Oh?" Gwen looks down and considers her wound. "Yeah... I'm not totally familiar with my current biology, but it looks like it could have gotten a kidney. Ah well. I have a spare. I wonder if there is a blacksmith or leather worker who would consider making armor for me in my current state?"

"Do you need to go back to the tower and rest?" 1d20 = 4 + 1(Skill) = 5

The consort looks at you as if you are crazy. "No. We came all this way for treasure. I'm getting us goddamn treasure. Just give me a second to patch up."

The former elf proceeds to dress her injury using torn bits of her victim's outfit. Eventually she is able to stop most of the bleeding. She leaves the arrow in, afraid of causing herself more harm by pulling it out wrong. She mentions something about getting a soul to enchant the bolt harmless and shoots the remains of Urist a wistful glance. 1d20 = 12 + 1(Skill) - 2(Unfamiliar with her own body) = 11

You offer to carry her the rest of the way to the chest in romantic fashion, and she agrees. You quickly find she did so only for the laughs. She is indeed light and skinny, and you are indeed strong for your size, but the end result is more awkward and silly looking than anything else. Gwendolyn is laughing her head off by the time you reach the chest.

Gwendolyn squirms free from your arms and examines the lock. "I think I can crack this. Could take awhile. A few hours at least. If you want to run off and hunt I should be able to take care of myself dear."

---

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: December 02, 2012, 07:23:39 pm »

Go off--not too far--and find something nice for Gwen.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: December 02, 2012, 07:28:37 pm »

NO , I am very tired of that fails due to no navigation skill

I'd rather sit near her and do something safe. Like reading fire book\alchemy book or speaking with animals\plants
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: December 02, 2012, 07:28:43 pm »

Go off--not too far--and find something nice for Gwen.

No, stay. The dwarf could had told somebody and if he did then there could be who knows how many people coming. Gwen would be a sitting duck.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: December 02, 2012, 07:38:41 pm »

To be more specific, let's try to learn the power of our new bracelet and have a friendly chat with trees, maybe ask for advice or two from a wife if that will not distract her too much from the chest
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: December 02, 2012, 07:45:38 pm »

To be more specific, let's try to learn the power of our new bracelet and have a friendly chat with trees, maybe ask for advice or two from a wife if that will not distract her too much from the chest.
This.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: December 02, 2012, 08:04:34 pm »

To be more specific, let's try to learn the power of our new bracelet and have a friendly chat with trees, maybe ask for advice or two from a wife if that will not distract her too much from the chest.
This.
Sure, I guess.
Sig

Fireiy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: December 02, 2012, 08:38:21 pm »

To be more specific, let's try to learn the power of our new bracelet and have a friendly chat with trees, maybe ask for advice or two from a wife if that will not distract her too much from the chest
Yeah we should do that. Also, ask if she could teach us some sort of navigational skill when she's done?

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: December 02, 2012, 10:51:27 pm »

Oh, next thing we should do is get Gwen a weapon that isn't so *spits* Elven.
Seriously, her skill, plus a good weapon (enchanted, of course) and she could be our Dragon!  She is better at sword-fighting than we are.  And her blinking is a very useful skill against ranged enemies, which are often the downfall of powerful swordsmen.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: December 02, 2012, 11:27:19 pm »

Indeed. Although I'd rather see her as the lancer. Opposite sides, same coin, I guess.
Sig

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: December 03, 2012, 01:05:11 am »

I dunno about her being a complete Lancer in the traditional sense, unless her archery skill is higher than her sword skill.  Though you are right, from our view she is our lancer, from the traditional PoV of us being evil she would be our Dragon.

On the subject, what do y'all think about using choice gifts for a Five Man Band/
Five Bad Band/Quirky Miniboss Squad?

OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: December 03, 2012, 02:25:16 am »

Character:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You watch Gwendolyn work for a bit. She starts by producing a piece of chalk and jotting down complex equations with arcane symbols you only vaguely understand. From what you can tell she is trying to solve for the exact center of the enchantment in at least 6 dimensions. Eventual she gets her coordinates and begins to solve for four variables, only two of which you regonize; the arcane symbols for 'Lightning' and 'Soul'.

She tries setting up and solving the equation several times, each time scratching it out midway through and getting more and more fusterated. Eventually she takes a break to cool off and you approach her for some conversation.

"Everything going alright?"

Gwendolyn nods. "The enchantment is set in the demonic style. I never actually have had to deal with that in practice before. I'm just trying to remember the formula. I'll stumble upon it eventually. Don't worry about it."

You nod. "Night Trolls get along poorly with demons. Philosophical differences upon the ethics of using souls and the purpose of interacting with mortals. But I digress, I don't think we will meet any demons anytime soon. What can you tell me about the new enchantment on the bracelet?"

Gwen smiles. "It alters your perception to allow you to better hear what plants are saying. It don't help in situations where you want to talk back, or coax plants into growing a particular way, but its still more useful than what it was before I reckon. Until you pick up the basics it should be enough to cancel out the fact that you are not trained in the skill"

You nod and change the subject. "Tell me Gwendolyn, how do you navigate the woods so effortlessly?"

She smirks. "Elven secret, but since I am no longer an elf, I guess I can share. Constant communication with the trees. Empathy magic requires little power, and almost never leads to spell fatigue unless you try to do something outrageous with it."

Deciding to allow your spouse to get back to work, you turn to the trees and try to put your improved bracelet to the test. You sit, clear your mind, and focus on the vegetation around you. It takes awhile, but eventually you here whispers as the plants exchange gossip. Some things you hear stoke your ego, others seem to provide useful information, and some are downright lies. 1d20 = 11 + 1(Tattoos) = 12

-The night trolls are back. I've seen 5 myself-

-Gwendolyn Sacredleaves, wife of Goldtubers Timelesssmile was turned into a night troll consort. Poor girl-

-The enchanter Vindel Devilfruit was out this morning, collecting Rat Weed roots and loamy soil. He must be trying to prepare another trap rune for somebody to step into-

-Some poor children were killed by a monster summoned from a cursed chest. I bet it goes after the rest of them-

-Did you hear that Foghorn the Vile raped and murdered Gwendolyn Sacredleaves at her ranch?-

-The ancient elf, Goldtubers Timelesssmile ditched his wife Gwendo-something and has taken up lodging at the Inn at Oakworshipped. He is preaching that a night beast, called Pastforsaken, will soon rise to punish Oakworshipped for abandoning the old ways.-

Eventualy you decide that you have heard enough, and tune the trees out. You watch Gwendolyn struggle with the magical math for a bit, but no more than five minutes after you redirect your focus to her, she seems to have a breakthrough.

"Awhaw! The soul is wrapped in a bow-knot around the enchantment core. The soul-loop stretches through the two uppermost layers of hell on one side, and the plane of wind on the other. AND THE LOCK IS AT THE CENTER OF THE BOW! BINGO!"

The consort beams a bright smile. "Watch this dear, and tell me how wonderful I am!"

Gwendolyn then taps with her chalk on the chest three times; once above and slightly to the right of the lock, once above and slightly to the left of the lock, and finally on the bottom right-hand corner of the lock itself. She then recites an incantation in the 'True Tongue', the language known to all who came into existence at the beginning of time and those they choose to teach. You understand bits and pieces from years of listening to your father converse with some of his older mates in it.

"...To hell with hell...Tormented Soul...Shame to all demonkind...Praise to earth, fire, water...LET THIS SPELL CEASE!"

The magic rises from the lock in the form of a pillar of lightning that reaches above the treetops. The pillar holds for a few seconds before dissipating with a crack of thunder. 1d20 = 16 + 2(Gwens Skill) = 18

Gwendolyn turns to you and flashes a brief grin. "Grab a big rock and help me break this lock. It should be safe now."

45 minutes later the box is open and you are starring at the contents. Inside are 30 sets of bucklers and maces (made of iron and steel), At least 50 small platinum ingots (They line the bottom of the chest. You suspect there could be another layer), and a single spear. The spear is clearly the artifact. It is made of rose quartz, decorated with hanging bands of camel bone, and covered in runes made of slate studs. Not the most impressive weapon in terms of materials used, but still an artifact nonetheless.

You doubt you could carry back even a quarter of the loot between the two of you. What should you take and how much of it? Over-encumbering yourself might be a good idea in the long run, but it could get dangerous if you run into trouble while weighed down on your way back to the tower. The platinum could be useful if you find somebody willing to trade with your kind, but Illeum could melt the weapons down to make piratical things out of iron and steel. Choices, choices...

Gwendolyn pulls you in for a victory hug, careful to avoid pressing your body into the exposed bolt still sticking out of her.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: December 03, 2012, 03:51:30 am »

Congratulate Gwendolyn, tell her we have a surprise for her when we get back. Take the spear and some of the platinum. Get back to the tower.

The ancient elf, Goldtubers Timelesssmile ditched his wife Gwendo-something and has taken up lodging at the Inn at Oakworshipped. He is preaching that a night beast, called Pastforsaken, will soon rise to punish Oakworshipped for abandoning the old ways.-
Did... someone give us a name?

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: December 03, 2012, 04:10:48 am »

We should over encumber ourselves, we can always put the loot down if we run out if trouble.  Also, we should hide any loot we don't find.  Maybe sending it into the far past or future?

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 143