Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bone vs. Leather  (Read 909 times)

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
Bone vs. Leather
« on: November 23, 2012, 07:24:53 pm »

Which is better? I happen to be running a fortress with little in the way of metal so i'm a little strapped for metal armor. Leather and Bone are the easiest commodities for me to turn into armor, in your opinion which provides better protection?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 07:26:39 pm by Mlamlah »

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bone vs. Leather
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 12:45:57 am »

Both really do nothing, even from copper weapons.
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 03:09:21 am »

Bones are much better compared to leather, but still far inferior to even crude copper armor. Shields makes up for lack of protection, though, and can be made out of leather.

Then there're that point where only torso protection out of those are leather, though it covers upper arm too, unlike metal breastplate. Perfect for danger rooming, not so good for anything else :D

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 03:59:19 pm »

Bone and leather are slightly better than clothes against metal, but probably not worth it.
Against wood and most animals, they're okay, although metal is better.
Against big animals or ones with special abilities, one shades back towards "not worth it."

In short, it's a bit better than no armor, and I don't know which is better.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 05:31:09 pm »

Well, a good excuse to stop being lazy and refine my trap-building. Don't want my military to be destroyed by the next trio of ogres, my two dozen war-dogs will have to remain a first line of defense.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 05:36:41 pm »

Untrained dwarves with training weapons and leather armor are better than war dogs.
They're bigger, have better skills, are armored, and I suspect have better weaponry.

You could also try turning that bone into bolts and using crossbows.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 02:27:14 am »

Untrained dwarves with training weapons and leather armor are better than war dogs.
They're bigger, have better skills, are armored, and I suspect have better weaponry.

You could also try turning that bone into bolts and using crossbows.

This, pretty much, only way my metal-less fortreses are successful is when I have crossbow everywhere and enough bone bolts to drown the enemies in tidal wave of bones. Animals are next to useless outside of distraction and alerting if there're dwarves with shield around.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 07:51:03 pm »

My dwarves are dressed in the bones and skin of puppies, shooting the bones of puppies out of crossbows made of puppies while the parents of those puppies serve as cannon fodder. Also... guess what all of my dwarves are eating for breakfast?

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 10:12:33 pm »

I use leather armor only because copper armor completely sucks AND it doesn't decay like leather clothes do.

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 05:47:21 am »

My dwarves are dressed in the bones and skin of puppies, shooting the bones of puppies out of crossbows made of puppies while the parents of those puppies serve as cannon fodder. Also... guess what all of my dwarves are eating for breakfast?
Cats.