Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4114108 times)

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
Re: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack
« Reply #3570 on: May 14, 2016, 10:31:02 pm »

False.  (but of course I'd say that, so use your own judgement)
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: May 14, 2016, 10:34:36 pm »

Don't take this as authoritative, but I just checked it with Malwarebytes, which didn't find anything suspect.

For now, I'd say delete that one utility, everything else will work fine without it.

Edit: To be clear, it almost certainly is a false positive, but Zeus is definitely something you don't want, so it pays to be a little careful.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 10:37:16 pm by ManaUser »
Akur Akir Akam!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3572 on: May 14, 2016, 10:35:51 pm »

((goddamn ninjas, I didn't write this up for nothing. relieved to see it's a false alarm))

I'm scared to investigate this, but I have sufficient antivirus.

((plays Ghostbusters theme))

When there's something strange
In your DF download
Who you gonna call?
Hack busters!

I ain't afraid a no horse
I ain't afraid a no horse
If you're seein' things runnin' thru your comp
Who can you call (hack busters)
An' invisible virus sleepin' in your folders
Oh who ya gonna call (hack busters)
I ain't afraid a no worm
I ain't afraid a no worm
Who ya gonna call (hack busters)
If your comp's got a louse pick up the mouse
An call (hack busters)
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Salkryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Pining for the fnords.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: May 15, 2016, 01:23:22 am »

So, I believe someone else had brought this up previously, or at least something similar: I've had three crashes in the current build, all while designating large amounts of furniture for construction. I was manually designating placement, so I don't believe any particular plug-in was at fault.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: May 15, 2016, 02:02:34 am »

If I recall correctly, the "place a lot of stuff and get a crash sometimes" issue was blamed on TwbT the last time. The problem with that kind of crash is that it's hard to recreate as it happens too infrequently to verify if it's gone or present when experimenting. I'd try to disable TwbT and see if it disappears. If you've got crash information, I believe the TwbT creator would be interested should TwbT be involved. Somewhere, probably earlier in this thread, registry setting changes needed to save crash data was posted.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3575 on: May 15, 2016, 02:41:40 am »

Specifically, I *suspect* that it's something to do with the buildingplan plugin, which is slightly modified to work with TwbT.  But replicating the bug is hard, which makes fixing it even harder.  I'm hoping that it'll eventually just go away to be honest, as I remember reading about potential improvements to make those changes unnecessary a while ago (by changing how plugins draw stuff).  For now, it's just a thing that happens  - you can always use PRINT_MODE:2D if the pretty graphics aren't worth it anymore :(
 Donations here.

Grumalg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: May 15, 2016, 02:47:33 am »

False.  (but of course I'd say that, so use your own judgement)

I suspected that would be the case.  I've run into false positives before back when I was writing code for persistent worlds for the NWN1 engine via NWNX which used a older version of the mad code hook that injected hooks into the game engine.  After years of use AVG suddenly started vaulting that .dll breaking hundreds of persistent worlds online.

I reported the false positive and the background and history to AVG and it was fixed within 48 hours.  I'm not deep enough into DF related code to be able to defend the false positive claim, but if someone here who *is* in a position to defend the code reported the problem, I'm real sure AVG would fix it quickly.

GaenaralHONK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3577 on: May 15, 2016, 07:32:49 am »

Specifically, I *suspect* that it's something to do with the buildingplan plugin, which is slightly modified to work with TwbT.  But replicating the bug is hard, which makes fixing it even harder.  I'm hoping that it'll eventually just go away to be honest, as I remember reading about potential improvements to make those changes unnecessary a while ago (by changing how plugins draw stuff).  For now, it's just a thing that happens  - you can always use PRINT_MODE:2D if the pretty graphics aren't worth it anymore :(
I had that bug without the buildingplan plugin enabled in an earlier pack, once i disabled TwbT the crash didn't happen anymore.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 07:34:51 am by GaenaralHONK »

Da5id

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: May 15, 2016, 09:30:16 am »

I have spent a ton of time in this release, and by a ton, I mean around 220-250ish hours. I quicksave before I designate any furniture. I quicksave after doing anything I don't want to do again, pretty much lol. I have gotten at least four or five crashes while designating rooms around the fort. I generally make my dwarves go without until they can completely decorate a given area, except for the workshops and trade depot of course :) I am about to start another fort due to fps death on this one, so we'll see how it goes in a fresh copy.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: May 15, 2016, 04:11:26 pm »

TwbT doesn't touch the buildingplan plugin. It distributes modified versions of automaterial, mousequery, and resume only.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Stargazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3580 on: May 16, 2016, 05:21:23 pm »

Is there a way to update the pack myself with 43.02?

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: May 16, 2016, 05:50:48 pm »

Is there a way to update the pack myself with 43.02?

I guess that's possible. Updating all the object files in the graphics raws so that they don't corrupt your game can be will take a long time and be tedious, but it's doable. You can probably get Dwarf Therapist to work with a memory viewer program and by guessing and checking addresses until everything works. It will take a long time and be very tedious, but I think that would be possible. I imagine the current build of Dwarf Therapist will still work, so you shouldn't have to update and recompile that. If you want DFHack support, that will be very complicated, but it's all open-source, so it should be pretty feasible for someone to do, although it will take a long time and be pretty tedious.

tl;dr - You can update the pack yourself, but depending on how much of it you want updated and the level of your programming skills, it could be extremely complicated and take a lot of time.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3582 on: May 16, 2016, 06:00:57 pm »

You can update the pack yourself, but depending on how much of it you want updated and the level of your programming skills, it could be extremely complicated and take a lot of time.

And it will almost certainly be faster to contribute to the collective effort, so if you're comfortable with computer memory go check out the DFHack code and structures research  :)
 Donations here.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: May 16, 2016, 06:35:17 pm »

And it will almost certainly be faster to contribute to the collective effort, so if you're comfortable with computer memory go check out the DFHack code and structures research  :)

It looks like these are the instructions for getting started with the DF Structures.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: May 16, 2016, 07:26:41 pm »

Well, those are mostly instructions for devs, and we've run those scripts within hours of both 0.43.01 and 0.43.02. DFHack is in decent shape, but we haven't tracked down everything that's changed yet. It seems to be complete enough to generate DT memory layouts, but I haven't tested them yet.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 385