Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 231

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 284805 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #2175 on: January 04, 2017, 05:29:24 pm »

Unfortunately, we retain And Yet It Moves all the same. Let's hope it's not an easy gateway to ultimate power though, since China is doing their space test first.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: January 04, 2017, 05:47:26 pm »

Yeah, but a weird effect from the EM chamber, even one as out there as it more or less pushing against spacetime somehow isn't quite as wild as it pushing against neutrinos with a magnetic field would be.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: January 04, 2017, 08:40:11 pm »

I'd be willing to bet that China claim is fraudulent.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #2178 on: January 05, 2017, 12:48:47 pm »

Unfortunately, we retain And Yet It Moves all the same. Let's hope it's not an easy gateway to ultimate power though, since China is doing their space test first.
They'll probably just falsify it. :P
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: January 09, 2017, 08:15:47 am »

In other, more plausible news, nasa has combined two navigation devices into a single device that could enable x-ray communications in space, allowing for much easier x-ray ranging and x-ray communication, since you can encode data bits using x-ray signals using a modulated x-ray emitter.

Space internet may be a thing.

Also, I like how x-ray communications is called "XCOM" :U
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 08:18:11 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: January 09, 2017, 10:00:10 am »

VIGILO CONFIDO
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: January 14, 2017, 02:13:36 pm »

As promised, here's the final report my team and I did (I'm the person advancing slides). It's about space debris and collisions, somewhat from the State Department's perspective, starting at the 58:30 point in the video.

https://vimeo.com/196690189
Even the avatars expire eventually.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: February 02, 2017, 02:08:47 pm »

So, this Oklahoma Rep. Jim Bridenstine wants to run NASA.

Before people go off screaming 'AAAHH!!! REPUBLICAN!! AAHHH!!', he does have an interest in space and has an ambitious vision for going back to the Moon.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: February 02, 2017, 02:39:32 pm »

Well, it seems he wants to make space and moon exploration/colonization a economic enterprise, which could then make it grow bigger.

Most of the time, people go where the money is and if this indeed could give economic benefits to business then by all means do it.

I like how it's a more pragmatic, realistic proposal instead of simply going there to go there, and futuristic plans and fantasy that always are postponed to the future.

Specially like how the Moon is targeted before going for Mars as it logically should be.

Now, having saying all that, all I have left to say is 'AAAHH!!! REPUBLICAN!! AAHHH!!'

EDIT:
"This is also the first step for manned missions deeper into our solar system. A permanent human presence on other celestial bodies requires in situ resource utilization. The Moon, with its three-day emergency journey back to Earth, represents the best place to learn, train, and develop the necessary technologies and techniques for in situ resource utilization and an eventual long term human presence on Mars."
Holly crap it's exactly my points, which I have been stating in this thread for a long time. I do hope he get's the job.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 02:41:42 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: February 02, 2017, 02:42:30 pm »

Lol, while I don't like the commercialization of space, you can only profit so much from exploration and science. Plus someone is going to be mining the resources at some point.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: February 02, 2017, 02:52:07 pm »

"Fortunately, the Space Launch System and Orion will start testing in 2018. This system, with a commercial lander, could quickly place machines and robots on the Moon to begin the cis-lunar economy. With the right presidential guidance, humans could return in short order as well; this time, to stay."

While I do like the commercialization (since it would bring a big push), I don't quite like the fact he's trying to do so by forming a Confederacy of Independent Systems, surely this will bring trouble to the Republic.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: February 02, 2017, 03:07:06 pm »

"Fortunately, the Space Launch System and Orion will start testing in 2018. This system, with a commercial lander, could quickly place machines and robots on the Moon to begin the cis-lunar economy. With the right presidential guidance, humans could return in short order as well; this time, to stay."

While I do like the commercialization (since it would bring a big push), I don't quite like the fact he's trying to do so by forming a Confederacy of Independent Systems, surely this will bring trouble to the Republic.

Inter-system politics is something that will happen eventually.

It's no different from having a bunch of colonies on Earth, except their in space, and offworld.

Realistically though, considering the distances involved, there's going to be a degree of political independence.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: February 02, 2017, 03:09:23 pm »

It's no different from having a bunch of colonies on Earth, except their in space, and offworld.

Realistically though, considering the distances involved, there's going to be a degree of political independence.
As long they don't build up a droid army we'll be fine.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: February 02, 2017, 03:12:05 pm »

As long they don't build up a droid army we'll be fine.
Mars delenda est.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: February 02, 2017, 03:18:20 pm »

Inb4 mars orgies.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 231