Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 439982 times)

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #2295 on: December 16, 2015, 06:58:44 am »

Can someone describe what conditions must be met in order to pen books? Do scribes only copy existing works? Can you buy completed books? What's a codice exactly? Finally, what are the a) and b) library location options?

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: December 17, 2015, 11:59:54 am »

First some terms.  A papermaker can make paper in one of three ways but the most common is with plant fiber material such as rope reed.  They turn it into a slurry, which can be made into a sheet, which can be made into a quire.  A quire with no writing on it can be made into a scroll.  A quire with writing on it can be made into a codex.  A written-on quire, a written-on scroll and a written-on codex are all basically identical.

To write books you need a designated library with some tables and chairs in it along with some coffers and bookshelves.  Blank  quires or scrolls need to be in the coffers.  You'll probably need a lot of tables and chairs, since dwarves read at them, and also eat there a lot too.  Designate a scholar to the library and after some time he'll write on it.  Foreign scholars who visit your fort can write the same way.

A scribe can make a copy in much the same way.

Scrolls and codices can be bought from caravans but there's a fairly limited selection of them in my experience.

The a) and b) options let you choose how many completed books and blank writing materials you want stored in your library.  You might as well make it some really high number and not worry about it too much.

TheCritsyBear

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a masterful engraving of an avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: December 17, 2015, 12:47:15 pm »

Hi, so... Undoubtedly I'm missing something here, but I can't seem to figure out how to get permanent residents to do their jobs...

I have one or two visitors that petitioned for residency, that claim they're staying for "Soldiering"... I accepted them, but they're unarmed, and I can't assign them to a squad. Nor do they seem to seek out danger on their own. They just sit around and drink.
I had to create a new account for my own reasons, I was once a Bay Watcher like you. Now I am but a lowly Escaped Lunatic.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: December 17, 2015, 01:00:15 pm »

You have to assign mercenaries to a squad led by a citizen dwarf.  You can't have an all-mercenary squad.

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: December 17, 2015, 01:20:15 pm »

Which plants can be slurried for paper?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #2300 on: December 17, 2015, 02:07:41 pm »

All cloth plants.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: December 17, 2015, 03:04:02 pm »

So rope reed and pig tails.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #2302 on: December 17, 2015, 03:07:54 pm »

Aaaand hemp and cotton and (checks wiki) kenaf and jute and ramie and flax. But you're much more likely to find pig tails or rope reed.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: December 17, 2015, 04:47:55 pm »

Yeah all those plants.  You can make papyrus from papyrus plants or parchment from leather and quicklime.  Papyrus requires a very specific plant and parchment has a bit of a complicated process to it.  Using regular paper works well enough.

Hellzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: December 17, 2015, 05:39:00 pm »

I made this from wiki info. It seems the writing part goes either sheet -> quire -> scholar writes on quire -> bind written-on quire into book OR sheet -> scroll -> scholar writes on scroll.

Still, papyrus scrolls seem to be the most straightforward if you have access to the seeds.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 05:46:22 pm by Hellzon »

PFunk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: December 17, 2015, 06:43:43 pm »

Looks like parchment is the least efficient system and uses up the most useful resources of the three options.

Sorg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • EnglishWithCoffee
« Reply #2306 on: December 17, 2015, 07:11:20 pm »

Is there any way to read about dance/musical forms, etc. from the Legends mode? In previous versions there was an "Art" section in the legends but it's absent in my new 0.42.03 world.
Intelligent is a strong word to use around DF.
you're lucky it wasn't an adventurer.  I've heard they can bash your skull in by throwing water at you.  UNDERWATER

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: December 17, 2015, 09:11:16 pm »

Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Hellzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: December 18, 2015, 02:14:00 am »

Looks like parchment is the least efficient system and uses up the most useful resources of the three options.

Yeah, I sorted them that way on purpose. Actually thought parchment would be the most straightforward until I looked up how long the quicklime production chain was.

That's beautiful.  I've stolen it for the wiki.

Steal away, I made it for the wiki but started wondering if the last few steps were right. Now I can blame you if there's an error. ;)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: December 18, 2015, 09:18:25 am »

True, but they seem to have higher value, judging by the prices of parchment you can get from caravans.
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 268