Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1842335 times)

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3585 on: March 07, 2016, 05:52:19 pm »

So when might invaders and other guests/traders/migrants only show up from the edges of the map that can be traveled like in adventure mod so that mountains have some safety?
With the adventure map loading attempting to deal with sites might this also be applied to fort mode at some point as to load sections of the map and unload?

Will moods ever result in new items and even one off workshops (like a big magic magma forge from a possessed dwarf that causes some of the dwarfs that work it to add to a cursed armor and go insane soon after) being created?

When might it be that hydras regenerate quickly and even grow back heads as well as forgotten beasts made of fire and even blobs not dying in one hit?

Do not think I have had a dwarf get moody once, have artifacts been turned off for 42.0x? Turns out it was the mod.

So some of these questions might have been answered in one or more ways already

« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 01:43:59 am by KillzEmAllGod »

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3586 on: March 07, 2016, 05:55:41 pm »

So when might invaders and other guests/traders/migrants only show up from the edges of the map that can be traveled like in adventure mod so that mountains have some safety?
With the adventure map loading attempting to deal with sites might this also be applied to fort mode at some point as to load sections of the map and unload?

Will moods ever result in new items and even one off workshops (like a big magic magma forge from a possessed dwarf that causes some of the dwarfs that work it to add to a cursed armor and go insane soon after) being created?

When might it be that hydras regenerate quickly and even grow back heads as well as forgotten beasts made of fire and even blobs not dying in one hit?

Do not think I have had a dwarf get moody once, have artifacts been turned off for 42.0x? 

So some of these questions might have been answered in one or more ways already

About the invaders that is already a thing as of 2 major versions ago.
The world is alive now and invaders already travel on the map realistically. SO that is a thing already.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:World_activities

Im sure the answer to that second question is "when I get to it".

Artifacts are definitely still on, you might just be unlucky.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 05:57:25 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3587 on: March 07, 2016, 09:27:29 pm »

Are you SURE that it takes direction and accessibility into account when placing invaders?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3588 on: March 07, 2016, 10:16:09 pm »

Are you SURE that it takes direction and accessibility into account when placing invaders?
What do you mean by accessibility? If an adventurer and his army of rescued children can walk over the mountains, why would a bunch of goblins not be able to? 40.x goblins found it tricky, sure, but that was a bug.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3589 on: March 07, 2016, 10:31:42 pm »

Yes, they actually move around on the world map, none of the armies in dwarf fortress "teleport" anywhere, they can move in the same places adventurers can, which is why you don't get invasions if you embark on a secluded island.
I am an indie game dev!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3590 on: March 07, 2016, 10:53:53 pm »

Yes, they actually move around on the world map, none of the armies in dwarf fortress "teleport" anywhere, they can move in the same places adventurers can, which is why you don't get invasions if you embark on a secluded island.

Derp. Armies and civs have checked for access since DF2012, one of my long-running Fun forts was an island that had the odd property of getting the occasional titan (correction: one titan) but no invasions. :V

EDIT:

In any case, the zones are almost done -- I just need to allow you to declare actual locations like the halls in human villages so you can claim your own site with a named group. Then a few more site tweaks, work order changes, bugs and done.

Yessss. Also bugs. I like the sound of that.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 11:07:24 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3591 on: March 08, 2016, 12:36:52 am »

'Bugs and done'. So beautifully optimistic.
:)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3592 on: March 08, 2016, 12:49:06 am »

Unless he means there will be new bugs, in which case it was inevitable.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3593 on: March 08, 2016, 05:13:34 am »

What do you mean by accessibility? If an adventurer and his army of rescued children can walk over the mountains, why would a bunch of goblins not be able to? 40.x goblins found it tricky, sure, but that was a bug.

There are several different possibilities here that all boil down to the resolution (or "abstraction level") of the checks (an interesting question is how it checks that and when/if those flags get updated after the player changes something).

For example, consider a square of 9 world map tiles adjacent to each other, so they are indeed all accessible on that level of abstraction.
However let's assume if you "zoom in", only one tile actually permits physical movement to the middle world map tile (a narrow bridge for example) - the rest is blocked.
For the sake of the argument, let that entrance be in the north (Like a 'U').

So now, your fortress is in that middle tile and the invaders are to the south.

If the game only checks general accessibility, and then "teleports" the armies to your site, they would appear on the south edge of your fortress map. (old behavior IIRC)
If the game checks on a higher resolution, they would appear on the north edge of your embark area. ("direction and accessibility").

I'm wondering, what is the actual resolution of those checks: How does the game deal with different resolutions of the same obstacle? i.e. a U-wall/moat 1. on your embark area, 2. a U-shaped obstacle on the "travel map", 3. a U-shaped obstacle on world map scale (a peninsula for example).
In other words, does an army (or anyone else) have to physically move on each tile, or do they only have to physically move on the "travel map"? Can they then move through travel map tiles from west to east, even if a bunch of them are technically only accessible from the north (but consequently marked as 'accessible')?
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3594 on: March 08, 2016, 07:35:34 am »

yep

That's what I meant.

awesome post is awesome
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3595 on: March 08, 2016, 10:32:59 am »

There are several different possibilities here that all boil down to the resolution (or "abstraction level") of the checks (an interesting question is how it checks that and when/if those flags get updated after the player changes something).

For example, consider a square of 9 world map tiles adjacent to each other, so they are indeed all accessible on that level of abstraction.
However let's assume if you "zoom in", only one tile actually permits physical movement to the middle world map tile (a narrow bridge for example) - the rest is blocked.
For the sake of the argument, let that entrance be in the north (Like a 'U').

So now, your fortress is in that middle tile and the invaders are to the south.

If the game only checks general accessibility, and then "teleports" the armies to your site, they would appear on the south edge of your fortress map. (old behavior IIRC)
If the game checks on a higher resolution, they would appear on the north edge of your embark area. ("direction and accessibility").

I'm wondering, what is the actual resolution of those checks: How does the game deal with different resolutions of the same obstacle? i.e. a U-wall/moat 1. on your embark area, 2. a U-shaped obstacle on the "travel map", 3. a U-shaped obstacle on world map scale (a peninsula for example).
In other words, does an army (or anyone else) have to physically move on each tile, or do they only have to physically move on the "travel map"? Can they then move through travel map tiles from west to east, even if a bunch of them are technically only accessible from the north (but consequently marked as 'accessible')?

They don't teleport anymore they are moving around on the world map at the same resolution as the adventure mode fast travel screen ( which is actually very zoomed in I believe toady has stated it is 24x zoomed in (16+8) or more, because it used to be 16X zoomed in and he zoomed it in more in the 34.x version and he may have zoomed it in more since then)  toady has mentioned this and you can see it in adventure mode.I reccomend you listen to some df talks. So yes In fact they can travel over bridges and you can observe it.That was a huge important part of the world activation release.

(The player In adventure mode is in fact stored as an "army" when fast traveling aswell (toady has said this)

This is why bandits and the player can travel on roads in cities via fast travel.
What we don't know is whether the player built structures get updated to this screen. If it does then yes the player could make bridges, if it doesn't then no. But judging by how sites look in the fast travel screen the answer would be yes.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 10:50:18 am by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3596 on: March 08, 2016, 10:49:34 am »

What we don't know is whether the player built structures get updated to this screen. If it does then yes the player could make bridges, if it doesn't then no. But judging by how sites look in the fast travel screen the answer would be yes.
If they do, I suspect it only applies to actual bridges and roads (as opposed to a "bridge" of constructed walls or somesuch), since local pathfinding is a bit much to expect at this scale.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3597 on: March 08, 2016, 11:54:20 am »

[...]
So how is a "travel map" tile checked for impassability?
Consider this image:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/j2uj7wjhvqs7c05/asd1.png

A view of a "travel map". Nothing the player did, this is just what worldgen produced. One tile in the grid is one travel map tile.
Red and orange are small sites. Green is just meadow, forest. Grey are impassable obstacles (ocean, river, wall, whatever).
The big grey area is obviously marked as impassable, as the entire tile cannot be traveled on.
On the other hand, the thin grey is a very small, still impassable obstacle in the middle of a "travel map" tile. It's not visible from the travel map, only on "fortress mode resolution".
Note that, for example the bottom row of those tiles are technically passable on the west-east axis, but not on the north-south axis.

Does the game know this? Does it consider these tiles passable or impassable?
In other words, would an army use the light blue or pink path?
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3598 on: March 08, 2016, 02:06:18 pm »

[...]
So how is a "travel map" tile checked for impassability?
Consider this image:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/j2uj7wjhvqs7c05/asd1.png

A view of a "travel map". Nothing the player did, this is just what worldgen produced. One tile in the grid is one travel map tile.
Red and orange are small sites. Green is just meadow, forest. Grey are impassable obstacles (ocean, river, wall, whatever).
The big grey area is obviously marked as impassable, as the entire tile cannot be traveled on.
On the other hand, the thin grey is a very small, still impassable obstacle in the middle of a "travel map" tile. It's not visible from the travel map, only on "fortress mode resolution".
Note that, for example the bottom row of those tiles are technically passable on the west-east axis, but not on the north-south axis.

Does the game know this? Does it consider these tiles passable or impassable?
In other words, would an army use the light blue or pink path?
That map of yours is at the wrong resolution, sites in the travel map are huge. So big in fact that the size you made your impassible objects would be considered an (relatively large) obstacle and they would take the pink path.

See this map, the green is part of a small hamlet, but in the travel map you can't even see the entire hamlet, the little brown bits in the large river are small 3x4 / 3x5  (in fortress resolution) tile bridges.

but what we don't know is if player constructions would be added to this map, I think ill just let toady answer it :P

Sorry for getting so technical.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 02:13:50 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3599 on: March 08, 2016, 02:22:36 pm »

So, in a recent playthrough in adventure mode, I wandered into a large evil mountain biome then into some strange yellow clouds and was turned into a creeping mist husk.

My max speed wet from 2.5 to 3.999 and I was so fast I could jump over rivers, so I did. I then went on a rampage in the nearby human civ, and since the mist stuff was all over me, I infected many more people with creeping mist husk-ism I went on to kill over 500 people and became legendary in several skills. My "friends" who i infected (but wasnt in a party with)  also got several kills on their own (some had over 30) . After my unfortunate death to bogeymen. I went into legends to look into how my buddies whom i infected held up, I noticed something odd, legends mode didn't label them as "creeping mist husks" though they still had their kills and they for some odd reason they still lived in the hamlets we destroyed (possibly by themselves) I thought this was odd so I created a new adventurer and found one of them hanging out in a house in one of the villages (killing any living things who went by)  eventually killing me. It was still a thrall, but wasn't labeled as one in legends mode, is this a intended feature or  a bug?

Also will people who get infected with this stuff ever lose their citizen status and rampage the world a bit like one would expect an evil thrall to do, the fact that they maintain their status as citizens in the hamlets they helped kill off is very odd and immersion breaking, and they didnt even get a reputation for killing either  do you plan to remedy this?

edit:
a couple of them became "rumored killers" 2 weeks later but they still maintained citizen status in the nation also one of the site governments did in fact disapear(likely because they all died)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 11:30:40 am by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 306