Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1842929 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4230 on: May 10, 2016, 05:16:52 pm »

Why does carving a haft from a branch use carpentry instead of woodcrafting?
I assume it's because woodcrafting isn't implemented as adventurer skill yet, so having it use carpentry was the easier way. IIRC Toady mentioned that all the old workshops and assorted crafting skills were really old (non-OO) code and would have to be completely reimplemented one by one to be used in adventurer mode.

I can't find the specific quote, unfortunately.

As Putnam said, there's no sane reaction not to give haft-carving the woodcraft skill instead of the carpentry skill, especially as it doesn't use the building.

EDIT: Another question.

Why are splints craftable? You can't use them in adventure mode yet.
So that you can embark next to hut full of splints to help kick start your fortress.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4231 on: May 10, 2016, 05:37:07 pm »

Why is the dwarven calendar the way it is? 336 days, 12 months, 7-day weeks, four weeks in a month. Why not something smoother? Like maybe 360 days, 12 months, 6-day weeks, five weeks in a month?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4232 on: May 10, 2016, 06:01:55 pm »

Ha ha, yeah, it takes you out to travel mode and then tries to reload the world map -- which is the secret 1x1 map of the arena's world.

Senpai noticed me. *~*
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: May 10, 2016, 07:15:21 pm »

Why is the dwarven calendar the way it is? 336 days, 12 months, 7-day weeks, four weeks in a month. Why not something smoother? Like maybe 360 days, 12 months, 6-day weeks, five weeks in a month?
Seven-day weeks are more familiar to players who grew up on Earth.  And since reskinning 30/31 day months would seem cheap, the best solution was lunar months that happen to be four weeks long.

The calendar might get a fresh look when Toady gets around to celestial bodies.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4234 on: May 11, 2016, 10:29:32 am »

They aren't lunar months.

DF has 13 lunar cycles per year.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4235 on: May 11, 2016, 10:46:52 am »

They aren't lunar months.

DF has 13 lunar cycles per year.
I was going off the werebeast example interaction, which is active from "day 27" until "day 0" of the moon phase implying a cycle at least 28 days long (and probably exactly 28 days long).  But the wiki has 13 full-moon dates throughout the year, the first being the 25th day of the year.

Dirst is confused.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4236 on: May 11, 2016, 01:02:43 pm »

I'm really glad you are finally taking stabs at making the 64 bits version. What forced you to take this step? There was something specific or simply to allow us have bigger games? What would be the main (practical)differences between the 32 and 64 versions for us players?

Also, and feel free not to answer this if you don't want. Would you consider multi-threading on the long run?
I know is not quite the same to do so, but it would go great lengths to help make a better game, specially if the number of cores keep increasing. Given how dwarf fortress is being developed I think is quite important to aim it to (albeit slowly) take advantages of technologies looming on the horizon (once you know it's actually going to be catchy/common).
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4237 on: May 11, 2016, 06:08:48 pm »

Toady talked about optimization and multi-threading (and lack of need to do so) in the podcast posted on March 13th devlog. Towards the end, during the Q&A.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4238 on: May 11, 2016, 06:12:57 pm »

Which makes his complete 180 on that, making 64-bit a "soon" thing, highly confusing.

Even more confusing, we were all hyped for this alleged myth system. I thought it was also soon, but the 43.01 post made literally no mention of it whatsoever. Not even saying something like "still working on it" or "other priorities have crept up" or anything to explain. :V
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: May 11, 2016, 08:17:40 pm »

Which makes his complete 180 on that, making 64-bit a "soon" thing, highly confusing.

Even more confusing, we were all hyped for this alleged myth system. I thought it was also soon, but the 43.01 post made literally no mention of it whatsoever. Not even saying something like "still working on it" or "other priorities have crept up" or anything to explain. :V
Myth gen is the next cycle after this one. We're not finished with this cycle yet (despite the version number increasing). The plan, which hasn't changed or reversed, is and always has been:

1.Bug squishing and features for 42.x (so many features it became 43.x)
2.64 bit test release
3. Begin next big cycle - artifacts and mythgen (probably a year's work despite good intentions).

We're still in 1) right now - have been since January.
You're confused because Toady made a prototype of one of the features of the next cycle (mythgen) for a conference.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4240 on: May 11, 2016, 08:33:15 pm »

Ah. That explains it. Time-travelling hype from the future. ;w;
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: May 11, 2016, 09:24:11 pm »

64 bits will allow larger forts and longer histories without crashing the game from running out of memory. There are also some highly technical optimizations C++ compilers can do for 64 bit programs but I don't remember the details.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: May 11, 2016, 10:04:26 pm »

Though again, when did Toady change his mind on that? owo
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: May 11, 2016, 10:15:53 pm »

The plan was always 64-bit before artifacts AFAIK.

The earliest mention I can find is right here. He also mentioned doing the 64-bit test before the artifact release the first day of the year.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 10:17:43 pm by Putnam »

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4244 on: May 11, 2016, 10:38:16 pm »

Toady, do you intend for plants with the same name as RL plants to share as many properties with the RL plants as possible?

If that's vague/confusing, here's a more concrete question: Is the bayberry tree supposed to act like real-life bayberry trees do, as much as possible?

(see here)

Edit: Not sure why I thought I was supposed to bold my questions. Makes it hard as circus to read.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 306