Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: When Gods Play(SG)  (Read 6563 times)

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
When Gods Play(SG)
« on: August 04, 2014, 11:54:10 am »

Philosophers have said that the common man are used as little more than pawns by the Lords and Kings of men in the conflicts that rage across the world. Few have guessed that those Kings too are the pawns of yet greater forces in the cosmos.

Gods, demons and titans alike are no strangers to the concept of war, and the battles they've fought have at times wiped creation of nearly all that is. Most such creatures tire of reforming the cosmos into a comfortable balance of order and chaos again and again, so they've struck an accord. Instead of obliterating entire worlds in petty feuds and fits of boredom, the powers now use mortals as game-pieces to decide the outcomes of greater conflicts and battle for divine resources. The Great Game, as it has so been dubbed is deeply successful in resolving conflicts and entertaining the fickle Immortal creatures that rule creation, and so has become what seems to be a permanant fixture of the laws of the universe.

You are a new player in the great game, barely even a figure of the complex politics of divinity. You are no stranger to risk and reward however, and see the potential in using the game to further your own ends, to gain resources and power. You are just barely eligible to even compete however, and losing a Great Game always has consequences...

Character

You must choose a name and basic background. You may also vote on gender, species, history and physical attributes as desired.

A few example backgrounds are as follows.
-Demigod: The progeny of some union between divine and mortal, though true godhood is still out of your grasp you bear some of the grace and power of your divine parent.
-Ascended Pawn: You've already been part of many Great Games, though never before as player. Rather you've been a highly sought after pawn in the machinations of higher beings. Being chosen as a pawn grants a mortal just a little bit more agency, a little bit more importance and power in the cosmos. If a pawn plays in enough games then maybe, just maybe they might become a player...
-Demon Lord: Through manipulation, judicious use of force and the acquisition of mortal souls you have risen high enough in the ranks of Hell to be granted a seat at the players table.
-Eldritch Horror from Beyond: You are a creature that defies the classification of mortal ken, and even the gods of mortals find themselves uneasy with the existence of you and your ilk. The Great Game is considered unimportant to most of your kind, and you are playing mostly as a representative. A token acknowledgement of those even greater and more unfathomable than yourself.

Basic Rules
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pawns

Organizations

Boons

Challenges

Note for the Future
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 12:41:32 pm by Mlamlah »

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
Re: When Gods Play Cards(SG)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 11:56:07 am »

Ptw
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

aattss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When Gods Play(SG)
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 12:58:25 pm »

Name: Ouroboros

Background: Ancient-Ouroboros is an ancient snake who has spent the past thousands of year going in circles around the universe, silently observing but never acting, although only now has it decided to extend its power.

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified Time Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 01:05:58 pm »

ptw

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 06:35:54 pm »

Hoping to start the first part of the game in a few hours or so.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 08:15:12 pm »

Name: Marok
Background: Titan. Marok is an ancient warlord and predecessor of the mortal gods, who was killed and sealed away in a mountain long before recorded history began. Some recent combination of divine and geological events, however, have caused fire from the center of the earth to flow through Marok's tomb, granting him new life. He is able to project an avatar resembling a lionheaded red humanoid giant, but his true form, and the vast majority of his power that goes with it, still remains sealed in the Volcano.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 08:21:41 pm »

Ptw

I'm not sure how we should start though.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 08:37:49 pm »

PTW
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 12:05:39 am »

I could pick from one of the two suggestions, but i'll wait a bit for more suggestions/votes first.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 12:54:36 am »

I'll just quietly toss a ptw in here.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 03:11:24 am »

Alright, well since i can't sleep i'm gonna call it an allnighter. I'll post here after i'm finished working on stuff for my other suggestion games, so it's the last call for any votes on the character.

Comrade Shamrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 09:01:43 am »

Name: Marok
Background: Titan. Marok is an ancient warlord and predecessor of the mortal gods, who was killed and sealed away in a mountain long before recorded history began. Some recent combination of divine and geological events, however, have caused fire from the center of the earth to flow through Marok's tomb, granting him new life. He is able to project an avatar resembling a lionheaded red humanoid giant, but his true form, and the vast majority of his power that goes with it, still remains sealed in the Volcano.
+1 Seems cool.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 07:30:47 pm »

Marok the Forgotten Titan

Deck

You were once a warrior of great power, a commander of legions, of this you remember. In battles even you've forgotten though, you were struck down, and beaten. Your opponents still had enough respect and fear for you to entomb you deep beneath the earth, where you were forgotten by time. Something though, has awoken you. Your tomb, broken asunder by unknown events, has let the blood of the earth flow over and into your body. Your body is torn asunder and scattered across your own tomb however, and you are too weak to break the barriers that keep your body seperate, too weak to wage war on the earth. Still, you are alive, and though it is humiliating to be left without your legendary might and combat prowess you are not without other means.

Casting your conciousness across the expanse of space you find that the cosmos is teeming with life. Your kin of long past are few, and have given up their struggle for dominance against the gods. Instead a new form of conflict has emerged, Gods battle for dominance not with world shattering power, but with mortals as proxy soldiers in conflict.

In the old days you would have been in for a very long time waiting and watching, forced into manipulating others into helping you gather power and break from your prison. It would have been humiliating to sink to begging for assistance, you are a conqueror after all. Now however, this "Great Game" has given you the tools to *win* your freedom, to gain victory by crushing your opponents in a game of wits.

Firstly you must use this game to gather raw power, to nurse your wounds and regain your strength. After that... well, you will decide that when that day comes.

It would probably be best to seek out weak players to prey against. Those with no experience in the game, or who have been driven to the brink of destruction by their failure. Some such players compete in tournaments, but you might also seek out opponents to chalenge. You might also simply make your existence known, and wait for ambitious challengers.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 07:40:03 pm »

Go find someone to challenge. It will probably be best if we get some practice before entering a tournament, and we need some sort of reputation before anyone will challenge us.

Comrade Shamrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2014, 07:46:10 pm »

Go find someone to challenge.
+1
Someone without any experience preferably.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6