Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Most Dangerous Creature in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 10158 times)

WertyMiniBot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Most Dangerous Creature in Dwarf Fortress
« on: December 17, 2014, 01:06:27 am »

What is the most dangerous creatures in dwarf fortress?

This topic will be dedicated to finding that out.

First off, here are the rules. Any post that fails to follow these rules will not be acknowledged. They are as follows:

No megabeasts or semimegabeasts. We're looking for ordinary creatures with the [NATURAL] token
No randomly generated or theoretically possible creatures, like slade spiders or titans.
No thrallment, zombism, vampirism or any of that other stuff.
Please, no jokish answers like hoary marmots or cats.
Creatures that appear in large groups will be acknowledged, but we're looking for individual creatures.

Next, there are several factors that affect a creature's dangerousness, such as:

Size (Bigger means more damage and durability.)
Material (Most creatures tend to be made of flesh. However, there are a good few that are made of durable metal, and can be really dangerous because of it.)
Anatomy (Lacking the need for organs makes a creature more difficult to kill.)
Dexterity (Includes stuff like agility, quickness to the kill, and speed in general.)
Mobility (How it moves. Can it fly? Can it swim? Can it walk? Can it even move?!)
Robustness (How much ability does the creature have to kill and destroy opponents, as well as to endure and survive attacks from them.)
Attacks (Like claws, sharp appendages, teeth, and ranged projectiles. Creatures that only have fists and feet at their disposal tend to be quite weak.)
Smarts (Can it learn? It's just common sense that a creature that can become better at fighting is more dangerous.)

I'll let you people to look at all of Dwarf Fortress's stronger creature and find the one that you think is the strongest.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 03:51:43 pm by WertyMiniBot »

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
Re: Most Dangerous Creature in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 01:39:02 am »

I don't know about the strongest, but I certainly know which one is the most dangerous.

Every single fortress they appear in will fall. Usually because of them. These little motherfuckers cause more pain for the overseer than hundred megabeasts. After all, you can fight against megabeasts. Against these, you can't. You can't get rid of them.

They are the dwarves. And they plague and corrupt every fortress.

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 08:57:47 pm »

Used to be carp.
I think it's now giant sponges.
You can kill a megabeast, but giant sponges are indestructible, if I recall correctly.
Just had the idea of sponge armor if you could somehow kill them.
It'd stop even adamantine in its tracks.
Regards,
Dampe

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 09:42:45 pm »

Sponges aren't indestructable any more. Their tissue can be pulped.

Dingoes are pretty dangerous to a fledgeling adventurer. They might be smaller and slower than wolves, but having a full pack of 12 set upon your sleeping adventurer is pretty nasty if you have any unarmoured parts for them to bite. They can maul your less-armoured companions, which brings much bigger problems if you're in bogeyman territory.

If you've turned up the savagery in your world, it opens up more places to encounter giant dingoes, which are smaller than polar bears. The wiki is very specific on that last point.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 09:50:11 pm »

Zombies.  Not husks, zoms.

If the necromancers had human ai they'd be the worst.  They don't fatigue, so they can sprint everywhere.  Sneak is OP in dwarf mode (although it isnt used often), and unlimited and (almost) instantaneous profane 'gestures' will make it a game of trap and mouse.

Vampires in forts also seem more bloodthirty, for what it's worth.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 03:03:41 pm »

I don't know about the strongest, but I certainly know which one is the most dangerous.

Every single fortress they appear in will fall. Usually because of them. These little motherfuckers cause more pain for the overseer than hundred megabeasts. After all, you can fight against megabeasts. Against these, you can't. You can't get rid of them.

They are the dwarves. And they plague and corrupt every fortress.

We have met the enemy, and he is us.

Hooved or horned creatures are pretty brutal. Ever meet a Bogeyman with horns? Of course not, cause you'd be dead.

Pyrefly

• Bay Watcher
  • A large firefly fond of technology and art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 05:34:26 pm »

There was once a lion
that got 23 notable kills on my world.
20 of those were from ambushing my adventurer.
She is tall and lanky. Her eyes are brown. Her wing case is black. Her wings are translucent. Her abdomen glows bright yellow.
Pyrefly likes bluejay feathers, flowers, videogames, computers, hydras for their seven heads, cats for their aloofness, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible, she prefers to consume cow steaks and flavored sparkling water. She absolutely detests wasps.

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 09:47:55 am »

Zombies.  Not husks, zoms.

If the necromancers had human ai they'd be the worst.  They don't fatigue, so they can sprint everywhere.  Sneak is OP in dwarf mode (although it isnt used often), and unlimited and (almost) instantaneous profane 'gestures' will make it a game of trap and mouse.

Vampires in forts also seem more bloodthirty, for what it's worth.

Four Words: Zombie. Giant. Sperm. Whale. Thank goodness you almost never encounter them.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 09:31:06 am »

A legendary gelder with his trusty hooksword.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 09:53:32 am »

Sponges aren't indestructable any more. Their tissue can be pulped.

Dingoes are pretty dangerous to a fledgeling adventurer. They might be smaller and slower than wolves, but having a full pack of 12 set upon your sleeping adventurer is pretty nasty if you have any unarmoured parts for them to bite. They can maul your less-armoured companions, which brings much bigger problems if you're in bogeyman territory.

If you've turned up the savagery in your world, it opens up more places to encounter giant dingoes, which are smaller than polar bears. The wiki is very specific on that last point.

Yeah, one of the first things I checked out in 40.xx was if giant sponges were still invulnerable, and nope, the pulping kills them.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 10:50:46 am »

Even if giant sponges were practically indestructible, armor from them technically wouldn't be that good, if I remember correctly. It's the lack of organs and the incredible size that makes them indestructible. Or "made them," to be more correct, as they have been nerfed significantly.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 06:30:16 pm »

Giant. Ferking. Keas
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 11:54:14 am »

Horses. You don't mess with them!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 11:56:02 am »

Horses. You don't mess with them!
+1

Leading causes of death of Demons in my worlds:
3)Dragons
2)Horses
1)Elephants

Those damn elves. :P
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!