Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 32

Author Topic: Ravens are murder. [SPOILERS]  (Read 165078 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Ravens are murder. [SPOILERS]
« Reply #375 on: October 06, 2015, 10:16:45 am »

might want to try Red Mars, then :P

Not entirely sure if it's quite as good, though.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 21, 2015, 10:24:34 am »

Can't wait to see how the black bronze titan fares against thousands of people.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 22, 2015, 02:09:45 pm »

But really, it's time to appease the grammar gods and fix the title of this thread: Ravens are *unkind.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 22, 2015, 04:23:15 pm »

But really, it's time to appease the grammar gods and fix the title of this thread: Ravens are *unkind.
You seem to have linked nothing, what are you trying to refer to?

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 22, 2015, 04:39:52 pm »

A group of ravens is called an "unkindness." A group of crows is a murder.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 22, 2015, 07:12:00 pm »

Whoopsies, was on phone. Will fix that link now.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 23, 2015, 09:55:20 am »

A group of ravens is called an "unkindness." A group of crows is a murder.
I thought a group of ravens is a conspiracy?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #382 on: October 24, 2015, 05:36:08 pm »

The title is deliberate; otherwise it'd be an Unkindness of Ravens are murder

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The bastard of an elite marksman the humans deployed to great success against the Dwarven Fortifications was taken down (though not killed). The arrival of another 40 marksmen and another elite marksman persuaded the Dwarves to retreat to the HQ; not before losing another Dwarf to boltfire. In the hospital injured Dwarves arrived one after the other; surgery waiting times were short, there were few other things the Dwarves could do besides patrol and maintain life.
In another personal defeat for me, Baron Muthkat did not survive his injuries. It is always grueling to lose your favourite Dwarf, and even worse when you can't spare the time to bury them. Poor Muthkat died in extreme pain with his spine severed and his best friend killed right after he had recovered from his wife's death. On the bright side, he was also happy to have died fighting, a worthy end. There is no time to mourn.

And at least the still-living Dwarves at least had the courtesy of walls and roofs, and a functioning hospital. When Captain Onul led the recovery teams to pick up wounded Dwarves, the humans had the option to retreat into the undead-infested Spidery Forest or remain out in the open field exposed to the harsh and supernatural elements.
Here a Maceman was being beaten to death by her comrade's severed arm with her own breastplate. Several mounted halberdiers and bowmen cut their way through the undead surrounding her and many others, carving a path through to let the wounded and defeated retreat.
Their efforts are valiant; they only narrowly avoid being overrun by their own fallen.
I have been somewhat saddened to see the humans and their own heroes suffer so gravely. Lacking no quick victory or defeat, this has very quickly turned into the nasty kind of siege warfare - the slow gradual infection creeping into your bloody wounds, as opposed to the greataxe falling through your neck.
Humans and camels pass out from pain, bolts sticking out from bloody limbs, limping around in and out of consciousness. Even in the heat of high summer the humans huddle beneath the occupied gatehouses, clustered around campfires to try and dry out the dwarf blood from every inch of their clothes. The smell of burning corpses only tantalizes both sides to the availability of food; the Dwarves have sown another season's round of berries and slaughtered many of the eagles, pigs and rutherers to make ends meet. One particularly poor human, Otir Flierracks - lies trapped beneath his own collapsed camel. The only other suviving member of his squad Quosa Nohuser stands guard over him with a silver pike in hand.
It will take a few months to clean the wall spikes, and possibly years to clear the battlefield. There are still at least over a thousand soldiers encamped, entrenched, fighting or dying beneath the limestone walls. If they continue their assault and refuse to retreat, the Dwarves will be forced to pull the lever.
The Moose Pit has slowly been filled to the brim with hundreds of corpses, the Dwarves are still hard at work to throw them down into the writhing meat mound.
The wriggling death, the corpse king of thousands - the moose pit is legion and titan.

Ibruk has also been released on the Eastern approach. The humans have taken one look at the black bronze colossus spewing forth venomous vapours and have decided it is preferable to go around the metal wargod. Of note is that whilst the other human squads have wisely decided to bypass Ibruk, one of the captains in the rearguard - Captain Ithru, he cannot see Ibruk and is leading his squadron into disaster.

Wait, no, sorry I was wrong. Ibruk has broken into the Fortress and Ithru is leading his squad after him into the Fortress. I have given the order to destroy the ramp and pray that is enough to keep Ibruk out - if he breaks through, the hospital will be lost, the stocks lost, the armoury lost and all the northern towers compromised. Two masterwork hatches and a door should hold him out for enough time. The caverns will be lost, which is not much of a problem since they're still infested with fire, fungus, titans and corpses. The 3rd level has some scaled crab titan corpse roaming around, I suspect it ate the other beasts. I may be condemning two plump helmet guests who were chained up as sentries outside to death - but the risk is too great; if they are noticed by Ibruk then so be it. Sadly I was convinced that Ibruk was going to end this war.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 24, 2015, 06:05:11 pm »

After the HFS bastion...

The megabeast entering the fort...

I know you did this to test Silentthunders, but you aren't going to test it to destruction, are you?
One wheel short of a wagon

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 24, 2015, 06:57:00 pm »

Fighting to the end, here's hoping the titan doesn't get in too fast and lead the human armies behind him, otherwise the human empire may have a new leader and the dwarves one less fortress...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #385 on: October 24, 2015, 07:24:16 pm »

The Fortress is very compartmentalized, just about everything has some way of shutting everything down. This was one notable exception as the defences there had not been tested to account for all possibilities and I released the Titan from within the tunnel (bypassing the main defences) but it has been sealed to a serviceable extent. Not the first time some great big immortal warlord has been sealed away in (or outside) the Fortress, I'm sure I could find a way to trap Ibruk eventually, or perhaps just let him live in the corridor. I consider Ibruk a problem for the future.
In the present state the humans are launching a massive attack. The time approaches; this is the main strength of human forces - if it is broken, their will must surely also fail.

I have also realized that there is a massive single point of failure, where losing the HQ could cause Dwarves to be permanently trapped in areas of the Fort or fail to seal off areas of the Fort in time. Not much can be done about that now, now is the time to watch the human host crash upon the ramparts!

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 25, 2015, 09:50:49 am »

Yeah, I don't actually have a quarrel with the title. Was just giving the thread a friendly bump. Awesome updates! Crazy, crazy stuff going on in Silentthunders.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 25, 2015, 12:47:31 pm »

PTW

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 25, 2015, 01:41:46 pm »

Awesome.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #389 on: October 26, 2015, 07:15:59 pm »

I have somewhat lost track of what is going on. Firesmoke raises from the Western moat, a mixture of campfires out of control and severed limbs burning in the ditch. On the court wall the Dwarves successfully repulsed all the reanimated limbs that had broken through the fortifications, though the rampart top remains lost (as does the rampart), writhing arms and heads inseparable from their perches. On the brook and western approach there is only carnage and gristle, dead horses dragging their intestines along the ground as they chase after camels and comrades with unnatural hunger, mangled limbs grasping after fallen masters - and human soldiers fleeing this way and that on panicked steeds whilst others try to defend their fellows and others try to hold the line. The south was thrown into absolute chaos after a retreating column crashed into the advancing mass, sending the army into disarray. In the moose pit, Ayanyu the undying worm crashes against the gate waiting to be unleashed upon the overworld. Behind the shelled flatworm undulates the unending limits of the undead army the Dwarves have been collecting for so long now. Victory seems at hand, only in a matter of time and at what cost. In the Western gatehouse I saw one fleeing maceman kicked by an undead horse by his head so far he flew three meters before collapsing, dead. Another rider was thrown from his horse after his steed was impaled upon a great menacing copper spike - the rider fought on foot thereon but the horse was descended upon by the undead. Another human captain likewise was flung even further and had his spine severed from the fall, at which point his squad broke heart and some fled the gatehouse. Currently the hero hammer Lord Onmo Drinktunneled leads a renewed assault upon the gatehouse and is clearing a path to the axemen and macemen trapped in the north. Met with this inspired assault I have felt a slight pang of mercy and decided against sending the marksdwarves to the wall; the humans will have as much time to save the survivors up north as it takes for Ayanyu the undying worm to herald the end. And then... Well, I'm not sure what happens next.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 32