Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 32

Author Topic: Ravens are murder. [SPOILERS]  (Read 163281 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: Ravens are murder. [SPOILERS]
« Reply #420 on: January 06, 2016, 07:27:51 pm »

Heck yeah, LW activity!
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: January 06, 2016, 07:29:03 pm »

Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: January 06, 2016, 09:32:03 pm »

Holy Mother of Armok, what is this. How. Why? Have we sinned? Is the blood of Dwarf and Man on OUR hands? What possible sins could we have committed to bring this upon us?

It was inevitable.
It was terrifying.
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #423 on: January 06, 2016, 09:51:53 pm »

It IS terrifying.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #424 on: February 11, 2016, 10:05:35 am »

The war has been going on with no end in sight. There were also some slight miscalculations in how things would turn out.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The humans rallied around themselves and their archers let loose great volleys, where I had expected some grim last stand by the humans they just fired a rain of arrows like upon the undead, wiping them out categorically. They set up camp there in the safety of numbers, and I can't blame them as any stragglers up north have suffered terrible fates. One can only wander the spidery forest for so long before they grow tired and collapse from exhaustion, and the undead have the patience of death.
I think the surviving humans are even becoming veterans of this terrible war, should they ever return home, they will be a fearsome foe to their enemies!

With all the undead trying to pick off the great human army getting pincushioned until they run out of ammunition, the undead seem to have taken it upon themselves to try and and break open Silentthunders to get the tasty morsels lying within. I would not pay them much credit had the great corpse worm not led this assault, and it is currently burrowing its way through my doors. It shall be a while as there are a lot of doors, a few of the Fort's man traps are still active (though mostly all jammed by body parts, disturbingly with some of those still writhing) and the garrison are working overtime. I still have Dwarves patrolling the rooftop clearing undead body parts that got lodged in the Fortifications and the Marksdwarves have been continually firing bolts into the undead flows and it has slowed them down, but has not made any noticeable dents.

They just keep on going, forever and onwards, onwards to my Fort. I believe they may have been chasing a live camel into my Fort, and amazingly there are still humans who survived the first assault desperately trying to stay alive and escape the forest of blood rain.

Oh and this horrible crystal warmachine attacked the rampway. He made it to the approach before his head was locked in the mandibles of some great corpse beast, and then another great corpse beast attacked. As the battle rages on above, so it rages on below.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #425 on: February 11, 2016, 11:37:24 am »

The pics are broken :(
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: February 11, 2016, 12:05:42 pm »

Strange, they're working for me.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: February 11, 2016, 01:05:21 pm »

The pics in the post work for me, but LW's avatar pic is broken. Or at least the one that tried to display when I last loaded the thread.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #428 on: February 11, 2016, 01:16:19 pm »

When I reload the page, his avatar appears for a moment (the one from the main page, going through the adventurer and elephants and magma and dragons...) -

AND THEN DISAPPEAR

MY HEAD ASPLODE

Either my computer is wonky, or SOMETHING HATES LOUD WHISPERS.
Sigtext!

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: February 11, 2016, 01:36:07 pm »

If I recall correctly, LW uses some service that gives a different pic every time it is loaded (or a random pic from a set of them). I suspect that service isn't working correctly.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: February 11, 2016, 02:44:46 pm »

LW, this is amazing. I should update Bastiongate.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: February 11, 2016, 03:18:24 pm »

This entire fort is made of win.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: April 01, 2016, 02:48:36 am »

Loud Whispers,
Did you ever know that you're my hero?
Your fort is everything mine wishes it could be.
I could fly higher than an escaping war eagle.
You are the wind beneath my undead raven wings.

I just finally read through this whole thread all over again.

Let me just say this:
Silentthunders must survive. 

Do not have "one last epic stand".  If the gates fall, pull the lever to isolate the whole fortress, and dig to one of the caverns to try to start a new farm. Let the quarry gates open, and let the FBs reign free above.

Silentthuders must survive for the natural lifespan of a dwarf.  Silentthunders must win.  When version 1.00 comes out, I would like to see Silentthunders still hypothetically playable.

Also, in terms of tactics, it would have been much better to have simply ignored the South encampment until it started moving up to the courtyard before throwing the lever to let the zombies free, pinning the humans between the zombies and your own forces... Why not just temporarily raise a drawbridge, though?  I'm sure when the bridge is up, the zombies will turn around and look South for food...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #433 on: June 23, 2016, 04:44:10 pm »

@NW_Kohaku, that is grade A cheese  :P
(but thanks anyways)

Also, in terms of tactics, it would have been much better to have simply ignored the South encampment until it started moving up to the courtyard before throwing the lever to let the zombies free, pinning the humans between the zombies and your own forces... Why not just temporarily raise a drawbridge, though?  I'm sure when the bridge is up, the zombies will turn around and look South for food...
That could've been brutal, but I believe at the time I had issues with getting the corpses all thrown in the moose pit and the Dwarves throwing the lever at the right time (humans were not taking the bait, probably suspecting an obvious trap).

The undead herd finished devouring the last scattered cavalry and camelry trapped north and focused their attention south. For months the encampment dealt with the undead attacks, keeping them far away from the perimeter with well-placed arrow shots, but the undead just kept attacking. Several hundred humans and their cavalry began retreating in an orderly fashion, carving a path out via the southern gate. I noticed one crossbowman holding back the entire horde by themself quite heroically - Aspa Shadowseed. Aspa fired off bolt after bolt into the undead because at some point in the assault, his mount had bolted off and something ate his foot. Still he moved on, dragging himself away towards the gate, and he continued fighting even long after he ceased having working limbs. Aspa single handedly bought them many days.

The army set up a new camp in the southeastern quarter, at which point things began to die down (though the dead did not remain dead), with the human rearguard keeping the southern gate occupied and clear of undead. A series of months passed in which only skirmishes occurred, as the Dwarves focused on fixing the recovered wounded.
Arduous work, the medical Dwarves and Architect Kogan in particular (who had few buildings to design and plenty of spare time as a result of the war) set about fixing broken Dwarves. Only one Dwarf died, having perished of thirst, the rest having made full recoveries.
At the brass palisade the dead littering the streets began to raise.
Seen above - the horde descends upon a poor horse, desperately trying to escape the many hundreds of grasping teeth chasing its heels. The piled dead and littered war detritus awakens with bloody vengeance, only the smallest and most damaged of limblets and corpses escaping this curse - the dwarf scurrying on through to the farms no doubt appreciative of the blessed stone keeping them out. The horse is not so fortunate, with nowhere left to run. There are only corpses in its future.
Pictured here is a human warrior. She was safe in the southeastern camp patrolling near the gatehouse when elf corpses and raven corpses drove her horse away from the human camp. To my surprise the humans still had war lions and war mosquitoes which fell upon the undead in hungry league with the great army, driving them off with minimal casualties. Yet for this poor halberdier, Sporro her name was - her horse was driven far into the southwest into the spidery forest's evil grasp. The wild horse was tired and crazed, and its eyes tried blinking out the falling dwarven blood snow. Sporro had her cloak wrapped around herself and her fingers frozen on her axe, and as she realized she was very alone, with death itself surrounding her - she shivered.

A lunging camel galloped towards her at full trot, using every muscle with total disregard for self-preservation, those terrifying toes clanking on the metal of the rarely-used brass road, clanking through the crunching slush of the blood snow. With a swoop of its neck it tried to grab Sporro, but she deftly dodged its swipe and opened its belly with her halberd, spilling its rotten guts onto the ground. This seemed to have stayed the camel beast for the time until even dead things undied, but with dread Sporro realized her horse was not stirring - for her horse had died.

I expected Sporro to perish not soon after, but to my surprise Sporro dodged and weaved through the masses with expert dexterity, against monstrous beings that could snap her in two if they managed to grab a hold of her. Sporro was no champion, no great warrior or lord of war. Sporro was just some guard who got sent to fight a war against reclusive alcoholics. One Dwarf family pause their lunch to watch Sporro through stone windows, fighting her way to victory.

Unfortunately, fighting in the wrong direction. The masses of bodies pressed further and further, restricting even this most resourceful survivor's movements.

Sporro would finally go down after attacking an undead horse, I like to think that perhaps this was the horse she rode into battle. Operating off of the few reflexes its decaying nerves could still carry out, the horse kicked her in the face, killing her instantly. Her corpse walks again, with a broken face.
Thus ends the brief legend of Sporro.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: June 23, 2016, 06:03:32 pm »

At first glance I thought the floor was lava.

Then I remembered.

And I once again rekindle my yearning for anti-army aviary. An undead biological superweapon, a way to make use of flying tag for your own ends, weaponizing the rocs....

There are no worthy targets, as you show. Still, even if it may be impractical overkill, it is beautiful.....And capable of reaching every square on every z-level to destroy targets, even flying ones, that would otherwise require substantial constructions to funnel.

Not that Silentthunders lacks in massive constructions, granted.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 32