Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 43

Author Topic: Seeker of Spellcraft (SG)  (Read 46948 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Seeker of Spellcraft (SG)
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2015, 03:54:11 am »

Don't base starting skills off of what you want in the far far future. Base them off of what we will need ASAP. Aka Hunting/Trapping and Herbalism. Hunting/trapping lets us fill our belly whenever we're in nature, as well as gives us a headstart on stealth, archery, trap making and setting, butchery, and a bunch of other things, and herbalism balances out the diet and gives us a headstart on alchemy, healing, poison making, and prevents us from suffering from eating bad plants when we're hungry. Cause we will know what the poison mushrooms are. We Cannot. And I repeat. Cannot. Make health potions at the start. Because of the No Advanced Magicy Stuff Clause./ So even if that twisted logic works (which it probably won't.) It will not fill our belly during the early stages of the game. It will not give us a headstart on any skill branches. And it most certainly will not benefit us. Our character is clearly a fast learner and Will Learn The Various Things You Want Later. I for one would like to not die early on because we starved to death.
There is no "Advanced Magicky Stuff Clause". It just said that our parents can't be mages. The book we were given has 20 pages worth of spells so we can expect to be able to use some magic.

I'm really against the idea of getting most or all of our sustenance from nature itself. Doing so will basically force us to stay in or be near the wilderness which will hurt our magical studies unless we go with nature magic. I much prefer being a great-artifacts-of-power archmage than a freaking elf. You also have to remember that just because we choose a profession other than food-gatherer doesn't mean it'll be difficult to acquire food. Again, we can just make stuff or do stuff (we have magic, remember) and we can get money for food that way.

I'm much more in favour of having a proper trade and learning to be an archmage in a city of knowledge rather than playing around in the dirt as some shamanistic savage.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2015, 04:10:07 am »

The plan is move to a city without Starving. And Then. do advanced magic.

We are very far away from our destination. We are literally smack dab in the middle of Nowhere.

We Will starve if we do not gain sustenance. Starting skills mean literally nothing after a point cause we Can Learn more things. You're acting like we are incapable of learning new things. We Can learn literally anything later. Trade is only useful if we have someone to trade with. I don't think we can talk to plants, so I doubt they can tell us if they're poison or not. You cannot ignore the short term.

We aren't going to sit around in nature. We're going to not die. And we'll have a number of nice stepping stones to better things for when we get to the bloody city. It's honestly rather absurd that you assume the goal is to sit around in the middle of bloody nowhere.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2015, 04:34:35 am »

I know we can learn anything but it would take ages to do so, and that assuming we're not busy doing other stuff.

I acquiesce. We'll keep Herbalist and choose something else but I insist that it be something other than Forester or Hunter. Those two professions just aren't in any way useful to a mage. After some thinking, I think that we should get Animal Handler. It'll help with having familiars as a mage and as a beginner it'll help with baiting animals and it might get us a horse or a hunting dog to start with. Worst case scenario we can always eat the dog/horse.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 04:37:17 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2015, 04:46:27 am »

Hunter/animal tamer? Hunters used dogs right?

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2015, 04:59:15 am »

As a hunter we'd probably start off with a bow and arrows or a spear rather than a dog. That's not the point, though, the point is that Animal Trainer is useful to us both as a mage and as an adventurer while Hunter is only useful to us as an adventurer.

Herbalist/Animal Trainer is my vote.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2015, 05:09:35 am »

I mean one of the parents being a hunter/animal trainer and the other being herbalist. Hunters used dogs. Would make sense for them to have training skill.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2015, 05:35:58 am »

I'm glad to see that you're closer to a consensus. Hunters do use dogs but if i understand history correctly the proper breeding and training of them was it's own profession. I imagine however that as a loving parent a dog-trainer would be more than willing to give a trained hunting hound to a child going on a journey.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 05:59:44 am by Mlamlah »

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2015, 08:48:19 am »

Leonardo Gentelechi (5 points if you know the artistic references, Hint its roman catholic borqoue. An of course leonardo is not it.)
Male
Father Huntsman
Mother Herbalist

Huntsman to get good food and herbalist for future potions. Early game i suspect we can at least make find some animals or mushrooms to eat easilly. Hunter because we can stalk our prey/future magical enemies without being noticed.

Plus with huntsman we can become some kind of magical hunter. Like in guild wars 2 :
*Note you'll need to skip an ad to get to the picture of a hunter.

I'd like to point out that the principles of hunting can be used for anything and it'd be so cool if we could merge magic and hunting together.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 11:45:12 am by 3man75 »

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2015, 12:16:05 pm »

Ok, I agree that hunting is necessary. But if we have hunting, we don't need herbalist yet. And blacksmith will take forever to get, so I propose this:

Name: Jehundik of the House of Theronia
Father: Blacksmith or Jeweler, whichever people want more.
Mother: Hunter

The idea of making magical jewelry appeals to me greatly, and being able to make jewelry will be much less of a headache later on.
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2015, 01:10:09 pm »

I'm voting for herbalist and animal trainer

Or if someone wants to be a musician... Just cause that's awesome

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2015, 01:11:52 pm »

I'm voting for herbalist and animal trainer

Or if someone wants to be a musician... Just cause that's awesome
Don't we already have proficiency as a story teller? Backstory stuff says we learned all the tales in town by heart. With that, we could prolly apprentice under a bard for a bit. Learn music and Bardic Magic, among other things on the road.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2015, 01:14:03 pm »

Name: Jehundik Vanyik
Father: Blacksmith
Mother: Herbalist

We need to be able to survive on the road first. We can learn blacksmithing and alchemy later.
We can survive on Herbalist alone, we just have to keep making health potions!
And forage for edibles. +1

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2015, 01:18:53 pm »

Ok, I agree that hunting is necessary. But if we have hunting, we don't need herbalist yet. And blacksmith will take forever to get, so I propose this:

Name: Jehundik of the House of Theronia
Father: Blacksmith or Jeweler, whichever people want more.
Mother: Hunter

The idea of making magical jewelry appeals to me greatly, and being able to make jewelry will be much less of a headache later on.

I'll agree to Hunter and Blacksmith. But if needed to win I can vote for having jewelry also. Blacksmithing however, will make it so that we can have some kick ass armor. Heck even under armor would be nice.

So yeah Blacksmithing over Jewelry.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2015, 01:31:36 pm »

We plan on being a mage. Mages don't wear armor. They weave strands of telekinetic energy around the body as weightless armor.

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2015, 01:34:48 pm »

I would vote Jeweler, just because of some of the epic things I can think of for enchantments. We could make a ring, that when it is put on, summons armor...

Also, I get the feeling we are over thinking this.
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 43