Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Rockfalls the (New) Depths of Volcanoes  (Read 3344 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Rockfalls the (New) Depths of Volcanoes
« on: April 13, 2015, 05:07:42 pm »

Rockfalls the (New) Depths of Volcanoes

We all loved Rockfalls, but it died too soon.  I propose a restart.  I think I've got a good design going, so I'll start with the back-story and dwarves.

NOTE: You don't have to read Part I.  Sorry, but I was still a Novice Writer (Rusty) at the time.  To skip to the inside-Rockfalls-with-magma-surrounding-them part, see http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=150094.msg6204513#msg6204513, where Kulet writes a book and everybody joins in.  (Eventually.)

Also, if you enjoy this, please, please, please say something!  I've gotten like three replies!  I think that I have had over 500 views, but I'm not sure how much of that is me writing and revising.  I'd gladly accept any dwarfing requests, but I like the dwarven names.  Professions and a bit of leeway in the behavior and emotions of the dwarf would come with dwarfing.  As long as it's not ridiculous or inappropriate.

Also, (sorry!) the introduction's "government stuff" isn't important for the rest of the story.  Of course it's not!  They're inside a volcano!

Introduction:

Cerol Lûkigril looked up as a long-haired middle-aged dwarf walked into his general food store.  "Hello," he said.  "Who're you?"

"Feb Oltarkat," he answered.  "Do you buy in bulk?"

"I sure do.  You startin' that new outpost they're talking 'bout?" asked Cerol.

"Yes, I am.  I'm the expedition leader.  Which meat is least expensive these days?"

"I'd say... probably echidna meat.  The hunters in Togalvod are bringing in a lot of 'em." replied Cerol.

"I'll take 15 meals' worth, then." stated Feb.  "I think 15 prepared cave fish and 15 plump helmets, too."

"Sure thing."  Cerol went and packed the food into three barrels.  "What'll you be payin' with?"

"Government check."  Feb pulled a paper out of his cloak.

"So it's a government outpost, then?"

"Yes." said Feb shortly.

"Would it be okay if I asked ye what for?" asked Cerol hesitantly.

"I can't say much, but it has to do with safety." said Feb slowly.

"Safety?" Cerol asked incredulously.  "Kelonul is the safest mountainhome in the world!"

"Well...  I don't want to spread rumors, but there is talk of the goblins moving north."

"So what's the purpose of the outpost?  Will it be a stronghold, or perhaps a training post for soldiers?"

"No.  Strongholds can fall.  Remember Shetbêtholil?"

"That's only a legend..." Cerol said unsurely.

"It could be true history.  Anyway, this will be impenetrable.  Literally."

"What will it be named?"

"Rockfalls the New Depths of Volcanoes."

"Rockfalls!" Cerol gasped.  "Feb, that was a disaster for the southern dwarves."

"We're planning to improve upon their work." said Feb with a look in his eye.

"This seems like a fey mood to me." said Cerol, raising an eyebrow.  "Anyway, that'll be 120 coin."

Feb signed the check and handed it to Cerol.  "This may seem impossible, but I know I and my team of miners and masons can make it, and it'll be grand!"
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 05:25:56 pm by jwoodward48df »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
Re: Rockfalls the (New) Depths of Volcanoes
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 05:29:52 pm »

go for it. this will be epic.....

think we can find a way to connect to under lava bubble to the caverns? forget the surface, a bit of training under the lava with embark weapons. then some mining in the caverns=army
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 07:01:07 pm »

Not sure how you would use it, as it is pretty rare to encounter normally, but apparently waterfalls which end on a magma flow tile are sufficient to keep a dorf alive for a lot longer than you would think... because the magma keeps turning into obsidian and disappearing, and I guess the constant water mist prevents the expected insta-death from taking place. I encountered this after punting a bandit captain into a hole in a troll pit, where she fell through a flooded cavern layer which was draining into the magma flow... and for some reason this kept her from being killed or burned until she tried to crawl around on the magma.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 08:51:09 pm »

Part I: Foundation

From the Journal of Feb Oltarkat, expedition leader:

We've arrived at the site for our great construction.  It's currently covered in snow, but it'll melt soon.  The forest around us is thick.  We're surrounded by our menagerie of breeding pairs of yaks, rabbits, turkeys, peacocks, guineafowl, geese, ducks, cavies, chickens, goats, pigs, cats, and dogs.  We'll need them inside Rockfalls the Depths of Volcanoes!  The new one, of course.

Anyway, I'm Feb Oltarkat.  I'm the expedition leader of this group that's founding Rockfalls.  It's going to be an improvement on the last one, an bubble in a magma pipe, surrounded by a shell of obsidian.  It's going to be impenetrable!

Most of the dwarves coming with me are friends, and the other two are some long-term acquaintances of mine.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's Kulet Arrosdodok, a mason.  He's seventy-one, and very skinny.  He's agile, though, and quite quick to heal.  His brown hair is short. dry, and straight.  He has very flat ears and a prominent chin.  He has a very long moustache and beard, but his sideburns are short.  He says he likes porcelain, aluminum, tunnel tube wood, giant cheetah bone, dresses, cats, and grasshopper men.  He likes to drink tuber beer and eat dwarven wheat flour.  I saw him jump a foot when he saw a slug once, and that's saying a lot for a dwarf.

He appreciates art and natural beauty, and is open-minded to new ideas.  He is easily moved to pity, but he's quick to anger and doesn't take risks.  He says he has a good spatial sense, an important sense for masons, but can't analyze or focus well and has little patience.  He's a good friend of mine, though he's far quicker to abandon tradition than I am.  He's the main designer of this fortress.  He's been scribbling in his notebook the whole way here.

Kulet's talking to me right now excitedly.  I quote: "I think I could add some room and allow for resource stockpiles in the workshop level.  Or maybe I should enlarge the side storage rooms?  Would that affect the buoyancy?  Perhaps they would help with stability..."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then there's Vutok Likoteral, a miner.  She's seventy-six.  She's rather fat, and has a hooked nose.  Her hair is clean-shaven.  She has slate gray eyes and dark peach skin.  She's slow to tire, but clumsy and weak.

She says she wishes she could mine out the ore of legends, that mystical blue metallic strand-like stuff found near magma.  At least according to legends.  Who knows, perhaps there might be some at the bottom of this magma pipe.  She also likes tin, which comes from the cassiterite she mines.  She also likes mining pink jade.  She likes pond turtle shell and earrings.  I bet she'd love a pond turtle shell earring.  She doesn't like oysters, though, so she'd probably stay away from the pond turtles.  She likes her pick quite well, she says, and also large, serrated discs.

She remembers stuff quite well, but has poor empathy, little willpower, very bad intuition, a poor ability to manage or understand social relationships, and very bad analytical abilities.

She's often discouraged, and tends to overindulge to cheer herself up.  She's kind of reserved.  She's cheerful, despite her discouragement.  She's not interested in art.  She doesn't really understand or display her emotions.  She's trusting, open to new ideas, and modest.

She's also a weaver, clothier, and dyer.

Some tease her, because she's fat, not... mentally superior to others, and very emotionally and socially awkward.  She trusts me, though, and I like her.  She's sweet.  Even when she gets nervous and stops talking, she's nice.

Ushat Kolokol, another miner, is also very fat.  He's sixty-nine years old.  His slate gray eyes are slightly protruding.  His brown, dry hair is medium-length and neatly combed.  He has jutting chin and splayed out ears.  He has somewhat high eyebrows.

He's quite durable and almost never sick, but when he is, he's very slow to recover from the sickness.

He likes the dark, dense stone of legends, said to pave hell itself.  He also likes platypus leather, shields, traction benches, yaks, and grackles, which I think are birds, because he likes their "raucous calls."  He likes drinking whip wine.  He really doesn't like digging in dirt, because he might find worms.

He's fairly good at reading emotions, but he's not that good at remembering stuff.

He's self-conscious and slow to trust others.  He's very disorganized and doesn't handle stress well, overindulging when it occurs.

He's also an animal trainer, butcher, tanner, leatherworker, and beekeeper.  He says he likes working with the animals.  He asked if we could bring the yaks along instead of the water buffaloes we were going to bring.  He also thought ahead and got a male and female.  That way, he's be able to admire yaks for a long time to come.

Then there's Atis Erithmesir, our brewer, miller, cook, appraiser, organizer, record keeper, and leader.  He's fifty-two years old and very skinny.  He has close-shaven hair and very short sideburns, but his moustache and beard are very long and arranged in double braids. 

He's clumsy and often sick, but he recovers quickly.

He likes serpentine (cool, I like that too!), bismuth, yellow grossular, two-legged rhino lizard horn (if that even exists), amber (ditto), rings, and leeches (ick!).  He likes eating SPERM WHALE, gutter cruor, and dwarven sugar.  He hates toads.  Well, there won't be any in Rockfalls, and no leeches, thank goodness.

He has an amazing spatial sense, a great kinesthetic sense, and a good feel for social relationships, but he's not creative and not an intellectual dwarf.

He doesn't handle stress well and avoids confrontations.  He's not very confident, but is (strangely) assertive.  He's reserved and well-organized.  Well, I hope he's well organized!  He's our manager and bookkeeper!

He's a good friend of mine.  He's more assertive than me, but can't handle stress.  I guess we sort of share the leadership, giving him the assertive-type jobs, but I can deal with stressful issues or issues needing straightforwardness or compromising.

Cerol Ducimedem is a weak seventy-seven-year-old mason.  She's also a thresher, wood burner, lye maker, soaper, and presser.  I haven't known her long enough to call her my friend yet, but I got well-acquainted with her.

Her long, brown, and straight hair is tied in a ponytail.  She has close-set eyes and high eyebrows.

She likes chert, nickel silver, spiny dogfish leather (huh?), goat horn, giant cave spider silk, and amulets.  She likes eating alligator, dwarven beer, and dwarven sugar.  Except for the first, she'll be happy here, or pretty much anywhere, in terms of food.  She doesn't like mosquitoes, which, like Vutok's pond turtle shell thing, means that she probably stays away from the actual alligators.  Which is a good idea anyway.  I mean, alligators.

She has a great kinesthetic sense, good creativity, and a good spatial sense, but she's not good with social relationships, isn't musical, and has poor analytical abilities.  All of the good traits are good for a mason who'll be building walls and carving statues.

She's reserved and tends to avoid crowds.  She's relaxed and has a fertile imagination.  She likes art and natural beauty.  She has a good awareness of her own emotions, even if she's not good with relationships.  She's disorganized, but strives for excellence.  She loves thrill.

Cerol's a nice dwarf, too.  I think I'd like to get to know her better.  We'll certainly have enough time inside of Rockfalls, once we're sealed in.

Onul Ralsanad, a muscular seventy-six-year-old mason, is the last.  I haven't known her for long, but we talked on the wagon ride.  Her hair is clean-shaven and she has a prominent chin.  She's very agile and strong, but she's often sick.

She likes sphalerite, silver, tsavorite, elk horn, the color mahogany, shields, crutches, and chickens for the way they scratch for food in the dirt.  She made sure we brought some along.  She likes drinking whip wine.  I'll see if there's any whip vine around for an herbalist to pick so we can grow it inside Rockfalls.  She doesn't like flies.

She's very patient and has good intuition and a good intellect.

She's incredibly calm, relaxed, slow to anger, unassertive, and impervious to the effects of stress.  She likes taking risks, though.  She isn't often happy or enthusiastic, but she's not grumpy.  She doesn't like to compromise, which I can't understand.  Compromise is the method by which interaction can stay peaceful through disagreement!  She says that it's weak, though.  I guess she values strength in all ways.  She likes to think she's better than others.

Onul isn't my favorite dwarf on this team, but she's a good mason and grower, and she's okay.  I think I can get along with her, but she won't be my best friend, probably.  Who knows?  I certainly admire her ability to stay calm during intense stress.  It's also great that she's not quick to anger; given her strength, I don't think I'd like to see her angry.

As for me, I'm eighty-six and agile, but I get tired fairly quickly.  I have very long hair and facial hair.  It's brown, but flecks of gray are starting to show.  I'm average-sized and my head is narrow.  My dark tan skin is getting wrinkled.

I like serpentine, fine pewter, black pyrope, pine wood, clear glass, giant cave spider silk, the color burnt umber, gems, short swords, toy axes, and minks.  They have such long, twisting bodies.

I prefer to drink tuber beer.  It's the best.  I ate some giant desert tortoise once, in Cuggánineth.  One of them walked right into a weapon trap, just flew apart.  We ate its meat for months.  It was great.  I also like white-spotted puffer.  It's a type of fish.  I don't think I'll be eating either of those foods anymore, though.

I'm very creative, have an iron will, am very patient, and can read emotions fairly well, but I don't have a good spatial sense, can't focus, and I'm not musical.  At all.

I can handle some stress.  I'm pretty unassertive and willing to compromise.  I'm cheerful, but I don't go out of my way to do more work than necessary.  I admire tradition, but find rules confining.  I'm a bit conflicted by that.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 09:00:30 pm by jwoodward48df »
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 08:53:57 pm »

For all you who think I'm proposing encasing a dwarf in obsidian or think I might connect to the caverns, read this: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=81183.0.  It's the original.  Just the first couple of posts should get you informed.

Note: You can claim a dwarf.  I'd love it if you'd write for him/her, but stay within the dwarf's actual personality.  I'm not changing the names; I like the names, and waiting to start until all dwarves have been claimed sound very boring.
Sigtext!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 09:11:29 pm »

Oh I saw the original, it just struck me as a neat thing you might be able to use, and hey, always handy to know a dorf can in fact survive a short period of time on a magma flow while treading water/magma apparently.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 09:25:21 pm »

From the Journal of Kulet Arrosdodok, mason and designer of the New Rockfalls:

Here's my plans.  We'll dig out a large pit, leaving some scaffolding, then build a fortress inside of the pit, then dig out the scaffolding, leaving the fortress connected to the ground only through six pillars of obsidian, then flood the place in magma.  After everybody gets in, of course.  I think we can do that through use of non-magma safe bridges.

I've got some very good designs: four levels, each large and rectangular, with two staircases opposite each other.  Each staircase will be between the large hall and a smaller room.

First Hall: Gardens

For the animals and above-ground plants.  Also Farmer's Workshop.

East Room: Furniture Storage

West Room: Miscellaneous Storage

Second Hall: Mud Room (literally)

For the tree farms and subterranean plants.

East Room: Compost

West Room: Food Storage

Third Hall: Residential

For the bedrooms and dining hall.

East Wing: Noble Quarters

West Wing: Hospital

Fourth Hall: Workshops

For all most of the workshops; contains stockpiles for whatever is used in workshops.

East Wing: Magma Extractors and Furnaces and Forges

West Wing: Water Storage

One very important component of my design is the Magma Extractor.  With it, we can get any metal (except the legendary one, and maybe platinum) from the magma that we'll be surrounded by.  Copper will be the easiest to extract, and will take but two days to get one bar.  Iron will take a week and a half, but tin, zinc, and bismuth will also take about two days.  We'll not run out of metals!  Gold would take a month to extract, but silver just as long as iron.  This is all from calculations on the composition of magma.  It could take a little longer.  I think I'll install something to allow it to extract two things at once...

No, that wouldn't work.  If we need faster metal, we'll have to build more extractors.  Hmm.. maybe I could reduce the size of the water reservoir?  No, it'll be too hard to get more water.  Oh, well, it's not like we'll be pressed for time in there.

OOC: Okay, Max, just wanted to make sure you knew.  That is interesting, but I hope I won't have to use it.  D'ya wanna claim any o' my dwarves?  I wouldn't change the name, though, at least probably.  I might change the name of the migrants, though, but only if you ask before they arrive and I use their names?  Probably?  I dunno.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 09:40:05 pm by jwoodward48df »
Sigtext!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 01:16:14 am »

If they were bearded and female I'd say sure.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 08:04:18 am »

From the Journal of Kulet Arrosdodok, designer of New Rockfalls:

I think I'd better add a third level.  For the tombs.

I'm not sure if trees will grow without walls beneath them, but there'll be plenty of walls in the residential level, by the bedrooms.

I'll tell the miners to get started.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I put down my pickaxe for a few days and chopped down some trees.  Now I'm back to mining.  We're currently just scouting for sand and clay and extracting (not Kulet's way, the normal way) some hematite from the stone.  I know Kulet's machine will give us some metal, but I think we should have some ore in there, just in case.

Vutok says she thinks the sand might be south.

We found it!  There's no clay to be seen, so we've decided on a spot.  I'm clearing the spot of trees.  Don't want them falling down onto our miners.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 08:42:55 am by jwoodward48df »
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 08:49:58 am »

Granite 20th, 206:

Apparently, Vutok and Onul have formed a grudge.  Vutok's the sweet, fat one and Onul's the muscular, uncompromising one.  Well, maybe Onul said she was better than Vutok, or Vutok accidentally messed up while talking with Onul.  Anyhow, Onul has fallen in love with Ushat, the other fat miner.  That was fast.

Granite 24th, 206:

Some of the snow has finally melted!

Granite 27th, 206:

Gold!  Native gold in the mines!

Slate 19th, 206:

The miners are almost done excavating the hematite.  I'm almost done cutting the logs; there's hundreds of them!  We'd better move them out of the way before we mine.

Hematite 1st, 206:

Summer has come, and we're still trying to bring in all the logs I cut.

Hematite 3rd: 206:

That gold nugget was the only one of its kind.  Oh, well, at least we've got four gold bars!

Hematite 25th, 206:

Aaand I think that's all of them!  Wait, missed a spot.  Now we've just got to haul them in.

Malachite 11th, 206:

As we were mining out the beginnings of the magma pipe, some migrants came.  There's Led Tangathoddom, a weak metalsmith with short, straight brown hair.  She's sixty-nine.  She likes native silver, zinc, aquamarine, clear glass (me too!), pig tail fiber fabric, the color maroon, and caps.  She likes to eat flounder, goat cheese (we'll have that!), fisher berry wine, dwarven sugar, and dimple cup spawn.  She hates leeches.  (Me too!)

She has a great memory, good creativity, a good intellect, and the ability to focus, but she's not good at music or social relationships, has very bad intuition, and isn't patient.

She's nervous but cheerful, preferring order and stability over chaos and ambiguity.  She's sincere when talking with others.  She's organized and strives for excellence, so takes time when making decisions.

She's only a novice furnace operator, armorsmith, and metalcrafter, but she's be very useful in those roles.  Glad to have you, Led!  She does, in fact, have a cap, but it's cave spider silk, not pig tail fiber.  I'm sure Vutok would be happy to make you one, once we're inside Rockfalls.

Then there's Alath Gadandodok, Led's four-year-old son.  He's skinny, with very long straight, brown hair.  His nose is slightly hooked.  Led says he recovers from scrapes and illnesses very quickly.

According to Led, he likes cave spider silk, and holds onto a scrap of it all the time.  He also likes squares.  He saw one on a decoration, and talks excitedly about them when he sees one, such as our mudstone blocks the masons have been churning out.  He likes boxes, probably because they're rectangular.  He grabbed a whip vine as he was walking with his mother, and held it out taut, saying "so long!"  He likes drinking dwarven beer.

He's very calm, but not often happy.  He's not messy when he eats.

He's a very cute little child.  Here's to hoping he lives a long life inside of Rockfalls.

Then there's Kulet Lenshamalath, Led's husband.  He's a butcher, a cook, and a grower.  All will be useful inside Rockfalls.  He's seventy-two years old, and skinny.  His long, dry, brown, straight hair is tied in a ponytail.  His very long moustache and beard are braided.  He has thin lips, just like Alath.

He's indefatigable and quick to heal.

He likes tetrahedrite, because it can produce both valuable silver and copper, useful for barrels and such.  He also likes nickel silver, red zircon, cabochons, greaves, and goats for their "eating habits."  Well, we'll definitely have those.  He likes kingsnake, sole, dwarven rum, Longland flour, and quarry bush leaves.  We'll have the dwarven rum and quarry bush leaves, maybe the Longland flour, but not the others.

He's very good with language and with the surrounding space, has very good intuition and a sum of patience, but not very creative.

He's slow to anger and compromises with others.  He prefers not to lead, though.  He's very active, which is probably why he's so fit.  He likes to try new things, so acts impulsively.  He dislikes intellectual conversations, which is odd.  I guess he might like nonintellectual conversations?  He's slow to trust others, so doesn't often openly express emotions.

According to him, there's another coming along.  Oh, there she is.

Lolor Vutramalath is the three-year-old son of the two recently-arrived adult dwarves.  She's fat, and has extremely long brown hair.  She has narrow head and wide-set slate grey eyes with large irises.

She's agile and slow to tire.  Right now, she's running around, talking to everybody.

She likes crystal glass, rope reed fiber fabric, gems, windows, and llamas, according to her parents.  She likes eating dwarven sugar and drinking tuber beer.  She hates worms.

She seems pretty comfortable in social situations.  There's a small crowd around her, and she doesn't seems disturbed.  She's pretty trusting and sincere.  Of course, that's just a guess.  She's three!

She's another great child.  I hope she'll stay safe.

That's all.  Wait, what's that?  It's a goat kid.  Oh, it's Led's pet.  Well, hopefully she'll let us shear and milk it.  If not, it's always able to breed.  We can't have useless things in Rockfalls.

Aaand... a baby llama?  Is that Lolor's pet?  No, it just tagged along behind them?  What the carp is it doing here?

AAAAAAAHHH!!!  ALMOST OUT OF BOOZE!  Just about twenty drinks left for eleven dwarves.  That's less than two drinks each!  Start brewing, Atis!

Atis?

You're on break?  Well, I won't confront you about that, because I know you wouldn't like that.  Just don't do this inside of Rockfalls, okay?  I can get Kulet to do it.

Malachite 28th, 206:

Kubuk Rulcilob, a cat, has adopted Kulet.  Or so he says.  He says she helps him think.  Well, do whatever you need to help you think.  We need to not die in Rockfalls.  Well, we'll all die in Rockfalls, but of old age.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 09:59:55 am by jwoodward48df »
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 10:13:39 am »

I'm now as skilled in mining as in wood cutting.  We're digging out the full part of the magma pipe.  Kulet will design the next part to leave some dirt inside Rockfalls.

From the Journal of Kulet Arrosdodok:

Somebody came with my name!  Cool!

A cat came up to me all aloof-like, but I think it wanted to adopt me.  Yay!

I made a mistake, so I'm going to shift the orientation of Rockfalls to north-south instead of east-west.

Limestone 7th, 206:

The animals have started to give birth.  The sow has given birth to a piglet, Kubuk to a kitten, the rabbit to bunnies, and the nanny goat to a goat kid.  This is good.

Limestone 12th, 206:

Now the cavy sow has given birth to cavy pups.  Almost done channeling the first layer.

Limestone 19th, 206:

I told the masons to install an office for Atis so he could track our stocks.

Limestone 24th, 206:

Some more migrants have come.

First to arrive is Nomal Fikodikud, a cook, herbalist, and shearer.  She's eighty-one years old and incredible skinny.  She has very long brown hair with a touch of gray, neatly combed.  She has slightly wrinkled dark tan skin.  She say she heals incredibly quickly.

She likes schist, bismuth, light yellow diamond, goat hoof (we'll have that), pig tail fiber fabric (ditto), slabs, earrings, and llamas for their long necks.  If she brings another llama, but this time a female, both she and Lolor will be able to see llamas for a long time to come.

She prefers to eat plump helmets (we'll definitely have that), Longland beer, and wild strawberry seeds.  She absolutely hates lizards.

She's very empathetic, has a strong will, is very creative, has a good feel for social relationships, has a good intellect and a good kinesthetic sense, but she's not that good at focusing.

She's very comfortable being in social situations.  She's very active, like Kulet.  Maybe they'll start a fitness program.  She likes order, strives for excellence, and takes time to make a decision.  She doesn't go out of her way to help others, though.  She doesn't like intellectual conversations.

Then there's Kadol Egathtulon, Nomal's son.  He's four years old, and very skinny.  He has very long, dry brown hair.  He has a narrow and tall head.

He's flimsy, but he's quick to recover when he gets injured.

He likes tetrahedrite, billion, pyrite, oak wood, elk leather, mountain goat hoof (not goat? mountain goat?  sorry, would plain goat hoof do?), and spears.  He likes to eat black bullhead (is that the head of a black bull or what?) and swamp whiskey.  He hates blood gnats.  You won't find those in Rockfalls!

He has a lot of willpower, is good with language, and has a good memory, but he's not good with social relationships.  (OOC: He seems a lot like me!)

He's nervous, but very friendly.  He's somehow also relaxed.  Huh?  He's not a thrill-seeker, and isn't given to flights of fancy.  Seems pretty down to earth.  He's pretty aware of his own emotions, even if he's not good with other people.  He's pretty guarded in relationships with others.  He doesn't like authority and tradition.  Kids these days!  Hah, just jokin'.  It's not like I like rules, either, so I can understand his position somewhat.  Besides, all the rules will change in Rockfalls, as will the traditions.

Then there's As Tanzuntir, who's only good with a hammer.  Well, you can be the official militia commander or something, we've got a place for all in Rockfalls.  As long as "all" is twenty dwarves or less.

He's seventy-nine, and incredibly muscular.  He says he's indefatigable, mighty, durable, and agile, and almost never sick, but when he is, it takes him a while to recover.

He likes earthenware.  Sorry, we haven't got any clay.  He also likes pig iron, pinfire opal, pond grabber leather, amber (why does everybody like this it doesn't even exist), loon bone, bolts, shields these two make sense; after all, he is a military dwarf), animal traps, chickens, and giant leeches (ugh.).  For their "feeding habits!"  He likes eating giant sparrow and drinking whip wine.  Better get some whip vines, whip wine seems pretty popular around here.

He's good with at telling where his body is.  Probably helps him dodge.  He has a sharp intellect (good!  he's not a stupid tough guy!), and a very good feel for social relationships, but has a little difficulty with words and poor focus.  Well, that's okay.  Vutok has some trouble with talking to others, too.

He's tense and jittery.  He's slow to anger and trusting.  He admires tradition, but is highly adventurous.  He's sincere, but is immodest.  He lacks confidence in himself.  Maybe if he trains to be a legendary hammerdwarf, he'll be more confident?  He's very self-disciplined.  He gets distracted during conversations when he's nervous.  Just like Vutok!  I think I'll get along fine with this guy.

As tells me that there's another child coming along, Urdim Asthunen.  He's Ast's and Nomal's three-year-old son.  He's very muscular and likes to be active.  He has very long brown hair and a hooked nose.

He's agile and strong, but he's quick to tire.

He likes horn silver, which he saw in the mines at the last fortress he was in.  He also saw some emeralds, and liked them too, according to As.  He likes eating water buffalo cheese and drinking tuber beer.  He likes rope reed fiber cloth and backpacks.  He hates purring maggots, and thinks they're disgusting.

He has a strong will, seems very sharp, and has a good intuition, but has a little trouble with language, quite a bit of trouble empathizing with others, and isn't musical.

He's often depressed.  He's not good at judging art.  Just like me, he's willing to compromise.

Then there's Atir Rigothes, a fishery worker.  I'm sorry, but there won't be any fish inside of Rockfalls.  She's eighty-four years old, and is very fat.  She has a narrow head with a prominent chin.  She has long, straight hair, arranged in double braids.  It's brown with a touch of gray.

She's very agile, but she's flimsy.  She's almost never sick, but when she is, she's very sick.

She liked stibnite, silver, violet spessartine, and goats for their eating habits.  Like eating my spare socks?  'Cause one just did that.  She likes drinking swamp whiskey and eating whip vine flour and spotted ratfish.  That's it, I'm buying some whip vines from the elves.  She hates bats.  No bats in Rockfalls!  No fish, though, either.

She's got a lot of willpower, a sum of patience, a feel for music, a good spatial sense, an ability to read emotions fairly well, a good feel for social relationships, and a way with words.  Wow.

She's guarded in relationships with others, though, and would rather intimidate others than compromise with them.  Perhaps she'd be friends with Onul?

A stray yak calf (male) follows them.  Okay, what the carp?  Following the yak is Rigoth Cattengur, a talented weaver, skilled tanner, and novice spinner.  I bet she's going to be doing some weaving inside Rockfalls.  That makes sense how she's a spinner and a weaver.  Perhaps someone she knew sold her wool to spin and weave.

She's sixty-eight years old, and fat.  She has very long dry, brown, straight hair, tied in a ponytail.  She has tall ears and high eyebrows.

She's tough but slow to heal.

She likes petrified wood, lead, pyrite, green tree frog leather (I.I.E.E. [if it even exists]), the color olive, grates, and rabbits for the way they burrow.  We've got rabbits!

She likes to eat cow, muck roots, and swamp whiskey.  Sorry, no cows, but perhaps the others, depending on whether they grow in the area or are traded by the elves.  Speaking of elves, I've got to remind Kubuk to build a trading depot.  She hates leeches. Me too!

She's got a great feel for social relationships, an iron will, and a great sense of empathy, but she's not very musical and has poor spatial and kinesthetic senses.  She also doesn't have a great memory.

She's often nervous, but she likes taking risks and trying new things.  She's organized, but doesn't like contracts and regulations.

Fikod Nethrigoth, a novice diagnostician and glazer, follows her.  She's sixty-eight, and agile but flimsy and quick to tire.  Her straight, brown, dry hair is arranged in double braids.

She likes the ore of legends, the metal of legends (wow), morganite, common snapping turtle shell, the color blue, bucklers, barrels, figurines, flasks, and giant koalas for their "adorable appearance."  She likes eating giraffe and drinking sewer brew.  She hates... hamsters, of all things.

She has an iron will, a great affinity for language, very good focus and a good feel for social relationships, but she has an iffy memory, an iffy sense for music, little patience, and very bad intuition.

She's self-conscious and organized, but occasionally overindulges.  She enjoys the company of others, but sees said others as selfish and conniving.  She very active, but is not a risk-taker.  She is assertive.  She's incredibly creative.

Oh, boy, yet another person I don't quite like.  I think I could get along fine with her, but maybe not friends.  Who knows.  Maybe we'll all be friends in Rockfalls.  Maybe we'll all get along just fine, seeing as if one person goes insane, they could be the end of Rockfalls.

Maybe the moon is made of cheese.

Sandstone 28th:

Kulet's got an idea.  He's sent us to mine for magma.  I told him, does he know how long that'll take?  He told me, we might as well do it because we'll have to do it sooner or later, and if we do it now, he can install his machinations and allow the masons to build as we mine out Rockfalls.  We're also mining out any ores and gems that we find.  Kulet says it'll be hard to extract anything but copper.  We've struck hematite, sard, red pyrope, tetrahedrite, sphalerite, yellow spessartine, violet spessartine, galena, clear zircon, and native GOLD!  A big vein, much more than the single boulder's worth we got before.

Timber 5th:

The other two, Ushat and Vutok, have become masters at mining.  I'm still great, though.  That's still great.  I spent the time they spent mining out the first vein of hematite cutting down, as Kulet's told me, five times what actually had to be cut down.  Well, it had to be cut down anyway, if just for the sake of having wood.  I'm a carpenter as well as a miner, and I'm afraid neither of my skills will be of much use when we're surrounded by magma.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 03:40:24 pm by jwoodward48df »
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 03:51:36 pm »

I've been thinking, since the masons aren't doing much this year.  I have a design for a machine that will push magma up a pipe.  It will be powered by a cave river, which I think I've heard in the mines.  It will work thusly:

1. Open valve to magma sea.

2. Suck magma in.

3. Close valve to magma sea.

4. Open valve to pipe.

5. Push magma into pipe.

6. Close valve to pipe.

7. Repeat steps 1 through 6.

It will push the magma up until the pressure from the pipe reaches a level that I have calculated and included in the design through the use of gears.  Then it will stop pushing.

Then I thought, What if the magma evaporated?  Or worse, what if it were pumped out?  I realized that evaporation and pumping out of magma would reduce the pressure on it, allowing it to complete as many cycles as needed to return the pressure, and therefore the magma level, to the way it was before.

You may have noticed a flaw in my magma extractor idea.  What about when the magma runs out of metal?  I realized that, too.  My magma pumper will also solve that problem.  I will include a small hole in the magma reservoir, leading to a different position in the magma sea.  I will carefully note the direction of flow of the magma and ensure that the magma is returned "downwind" from the magma pumper, so that the same mineral-less magma does not return to the extractor.  Isn't it brilliant?

First, we need to get to the magma.  I've sent the miners off to find it, and possibly get some ores and gems.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 04:17:29 pm »

From the Journal of Feb Oltarkat:

Opal 1st, 206:

Ushat has become a legendary miner, and the rest of us aren't far behind.  We're whizzing through the stone like it's dirt.

According to Kulet, we're about two-thirds of the way to the magma.  He's told us not to mine any more ore.  He wants us to find it before we're dying of old age.  I think we've got enough ore to last a long, long time.

I think that maybe I could expand the side chambers for multiple extractors...

Wait!  There's no clay, so we don't need a kiln!  Oh.  We do.  For gypsum powder.  I think we should just make a lot of gypsum powder before we go in.  I'm already planning on piping some magma close to the mason's workshop (the temporary outside one) for obsidian generation.

Opal 8th, 206:
We're all about to starve, as the herbalists never told me they had finished gathering the plants I told them to.  What can we do?  The caravan's left with no trading as we had nothing to trade, the fish are underneath the ice, and unskilled herbalists take a while to get anything.  Even if they do, with my luck, it'll probably be a hide root.

Yes!  Onul's woken up and is gathering some plants!  They're some bloated tubers.  Led, Nomal, and Alath are running after her, begging for food.

Opal 13th:

Nomal's helping, now, and got four prickle berries.  Onul got two wild strawberries.  Led got another wild strawberry.

Opal 22nd:

We've got five plants, now, that are uneaten.  I'm a legendary miner before Vutok.  I told her not to be discouraged, to just keep working at it.  She's a grand master miner, so she's very close.

Opal 27th:

We're out of food again.  Vutok's become a legendary miner!  At this crucial time, Onul is...

On Break.

Obsidian 3rd:

Thank the gods!  Onul's back to working again.

Obsidian 4th:

We've got some rat weed.  Icky, but it'll do in a pinch.  Wait, what?  We... I'm confused.  There were three edible plants and three rat weed.  Now there's... oh, somebody claimed it.  Okay.

Obsidian 7th:

We're out again.  Wait, no, two bloated tubers now!  Four more!  Four more!

Obsidian 18th:

We're running out of booze.  This isn't good.

Granite 1st:

We've got 9 edible plants and 12 drinks.  We're barely scraping by.  A kobold thief came by, but a cat scared it off.

I've been thinking.  For people working so hard for safety, we aren't safe.  The dwarves back home were hundreds of times safer than we were.  They didn't have famines, for one thing.

Granite 5th:

Another bloody kobold.  This time the dogs chased it off.  Running out of booze again.

Granite 12th:

I think we've stabilized.  We have 21 edible plants and 12 drinks.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 04:52:38 pm by jwoodward48df »
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 05:04:54 pm »

Granite 13th, 207:

Oh, so cute!  I think I'll call it Kadol Idenid!  Such a cute kitten!

Back on topic, the miners have been spending so much time down there, I think they must have discovered magma by now.

Oh, dear.  They've been mining ore the whole time!  Wait!  I think they're very close to it; I can feel heat!

Aaand Ushat mines three meters in and goes to sleep.  Huh.

Hey, Feb, could you mine this for me?  Sure?  Thanks.

Dramatic pose... and there's no magma.  Wait, the walls are really warm!  Could you try again, Feb?

Feb?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Granite 20th, 207:

Well, he went up to mine some galena.  He's back now.  Dramatic pose (take two)...

He's discovered a great magma sea!  YEAH!

And a magma pool!

And the ore of legends!

And the ore of legends... again!

I can see a strange crab-like thing in the magma!  That's odd...  I ask Feb to close it up until I need the magma.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 05:17:49 pm »

Granite 26th, 206:

I'm just now getting around to meeting with the outpost liaison.  "Sorry, but we've been busy," I tell him.  He seems a bit scrawny.  He must be getting old, as his dark tan skin is slightly wrinkled.  He asks me what we need for the project.  I tell him that some silk would be good, as well as leather and perhaps wood.  I ask, but they don't have any obsidian blocks.

Slate 1st:

I'm working on getting the magma pumping machine up and running.  Thankfully, a large portion of the rock here is magma-safe.

Slate 2nd, 207:

The liaison told me the mountainhome currently values short swords, war hammers, backpacks, large gems, plants, anvils, cheese, toys, legwear, earrings, rings, and leather waterskins.  Seems like three forces at work here.  Fashion/Toy/Pretty Stuff is the large gems, toys, earrings, and rings.  Food currently being liked/in short supply in cheese and plants.  Finally... war seems to be imminent.  I wonder if we really are in great danger.

He says farewell.  He looks forward to our meeting next year.  Our fortunes, as is traditional, fall and rise together.  Unfortunately, I don't think he's going to want to enter Rockfalls for good.  Next year, but beyond that, I shall not meet with him or any liaison.  I shall be in Rockfalls.

Slate 20th, 207:

Kulet and Cerol have gotten married.  I didn't know they were in love.  Well, I haven't been socializing much over the last year.  I guess I'll get to do all the socializing I want once I'm inside Rockfalls.

Slate 22nd, 207:

Some migrants have arrived.  This'd better be the last of 'em.

First is Monom Imeshber, the novice carpenter who's also a rusty armor user, fighter, biter, and dodger, as well as a swimmer.  He's also adequate to skilled in social skills, including liar, flatterer, and intimidator, as well as conversationalist, comedian, consoler, pacifier, judge of intent, persuader, and negotiator.  He's dressed very well; some of his clothing is from giant cave spiders, and much is dyed.

He's eighty years old and scrawny.  He has medium-length sideburns (neatly combed) and a medium-length beard (braided), as well as a very long moustache, arranged in double braids.  He has long, dry, brown hair, neatly combed.  He has a slightly hooked, quite long nose.  His dark tan skin is slightly wrinkled.

He's rarely sick, but he's weak and clumsy.

He likes rose gold, crystal glass, earrings, and spiked balls.  He prefers to drink sunshine and eat rock nut oil.  He hates purring maggots.

He has an iron will, a deep well of patience, very good creativity, very good intuition, a good feel for social relationships, and the ability to focus, but he has an iffy sense for music, poor empathy, and an iffy memory.

He's slow to anger and self-disciplined.  He's very friendly, but tends not to openly express emotions.

He seems okay.  He says he was a trader before, and became quite skilled at that.  He also was very social.  He says it's been a while since he's had a drink, and, as such, is working slowly.  That's fine, we have some booze here.  He tends to change the topic when I talk about how well he lies, though.

Then there's Zasit Ibeshavus, a competent engraver and novice cook.  He's eighty-six years old and muscular.  He has long hair, tied in a ponytail, and a very long braided beard.  He has wrinkled brown skin.

He's strong but flimsy.  He's referring to how he's not good in a fight as one hit can injure him more than others.

He likes horn silver and the silver that comes from it.  He also likes faint yellow diamond, tower-cap wood, cave swallow leather, bucklers, quivers, and large gems.  He prefers to eat donkey cheese and wash it down with dwarven ale.  He hates bark scorpions.

He has a great musical sense, very good intuition, very good focus, and a good kinesthetic sense, but he has a little difficulty with words and a large deficit of willpower.

He's self-conscious and lacks confidence.  He appreciates art and natural beauty, which makes sense for an engraver.  He has a good awareness of his own emotions, and has a sense of duty.  He doesn't like to compromise with others.  I've come up with a hypothesis.  Perhaps those who are weaker cannot overpower others, therefore leading them to appreciate nonviolent ways of solving things?  It's quite possible to resolve issues nonviolently and without compromise, but if one entity uses violence, the whole thing is thrown off.

Slate 26th:

Somehow, a bit of dirt fell while I was mining.  Both Vutok and I were knocked unconscious, but only for a little while.

Felsite 6th:

Kulet the Farmer has stopped talking to people, and is muttering about wood and making sketches.

Felsite 7th:

Kulet threw Cerol out of her workshop.  I hope this is good; we'll need rock crafts for the caravan to come in autumn.

Felsite 15th:

Bloody kobolds, scaring all the animals.  Kulet's grabbed some wood and is demanding leather.  We haven't got any.  I ask Ushat to butcher a yak calf.  By the way, he's in love with Onul.

The elves arrived.  I have my suspicions that they caused the cave-in before with their trees.  I'm going to steal from them.

Felsite 17th:

The elves arrived and have started unpacking their goods.

Felsite 19th:

Bloody kobolds, interrupting everyone's jobs.

Felsite 20th:

Kulet ran up and grabbed the tanned hide of that yak as soon as Atis was done.  He's working furiously on some large round thing.

Felsite 22nd:

Atis has finished rendering the fat from the yak.  Bloody kobold almost grabbed something.

Felsite 24th:

Kulet's finished his thing.  It's an alder bracelet.  He says he's also a legendary woodcrafter now, because he made it.  Okay, but how will that be...

Oh, that's okay.  We've got tons of wood and some time.  You can make a couple of crafts to supplement our obsidian crafts.

Felsite 27th:

Now that Kulet's done, Atis got around to stealing from those elves.  He took some good stuff, but he forgot that we have sand, not clay.  They had some clay, but he took their sand.  Oh, well, it's a bag at least, and we probably won't even have a kiln in there.  Waste of space.  When we need gypsum (after our hundreds that we'll make out here) run out - wait.  We can't make hundreds.  I suppose we'll just use charcoal, or we can carry a glob of magma in buckets, or something.  It's not like we'll be injured.

Hematite 3rd:

After being stolen from, the elves started to pack up.  Now they've finally left.  Can't you tell you aren't welcome?  You're spies!

It's started to rain.  That's fine for me, but some of the other dwarves don't like it.

Hematite 4th:

Even in the rain, the kobolds come.  This one was discovered by the animals, and they ran frantically all over the hills.

Hematite 7th:

Led has given to a baby boy.  She and Kulet (the farmer) named him Tholtig Nalonul.  He's scrawny, and has a long beard.  He's moving his hands about with agility, but can't push himself up yet.  He liked the pigs.  His mother gave him a sip of tuber beer from the bloated tubers our herbalists keep finding, and he liked it very much.

He hummed musically, and it sounded pretty good.

He's calm.  He made a mess with his prickle berries.

Hematite 16th:

The weather's cleared up.

From the Chief Medical Dwarf's Log of Kulet Arrosdodok:

Malachite 4th:

Apparently, on Malachite 2nd, Feb fell and landed on his right foot, shattering the bone.  Then the rest of him slammed into the ground, and he slipped in and out of consciousness before Vutok found him.  She's very distraught, but I've told her he'll be all right.  He's unconscious now.  Fikod brought him to a bed in the dormitory.  We haven't got a proper hospital yet, so we'll have to make do with that.  Fikod's looking at his foot now.

Malachite 5th:

Since Fikod's only a novice diagnostician, he wants to be sure he knows what's going on, so he's evaluating Feb again.

Malachite 7th:

Fikod evaluated Feb again.

Malachite 10th:

Fikod evaluated Feb again.  I told him that his diagnosis was good enough the first time, and to get to cleaning Feb.

Malachite 11th:

Fikod cleaned Feb's wound.

Malachite 12th:

Fikod sutured Feb's right foot with some cave spider silk I made sure we brought with us from the mountainhome.

Malachite 15th:

Fikod made sure he had sutured Feb's foot correctly before moving on to setting the wound.

Malachite 16th:

Fikod set Feb's wound, then evaluated Feb again to see how his treatment was working.

Malachite 18th:

Fikod dressed Feb's foot with some rope reed fiber cloth we stole from the elves.  I evaluated Feb's wound again, as I had finished installing the magma pumper.

Malachite 20th:

I set Feb's foot with a splint I made sure we stole from the elves.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 12:52:03 pm by jwoodward48df »
Sigtext!
Pages: [1] 2 3