Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2965 2966 [2967] 2968 2969 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5859590 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #44490 on: December 12, 2015, 09:09:17 pm »

...Magma?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Bwint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44491 on: December 12, 2015, 09:16:04 pm »

...Huh. I don't remember magma traps making me feel so philosophical. The bouts of supervillain-like cackling is normal, I think, but philosophical ponderings ? This is new.

Must be the new release. Do you have your own library, or are you pondering in your fort's main one?
'There are some things mortals are not meant to know, but we were bored and drunk at the time so we gecided to leave details of those forbidden arts in the library for a laugh.'

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #44492 on: December 13, 2015, 12:48:27 am »

The battle of the bridge at Ogredkeskal !

Now that 42.03 is released, i could resume the huge siege to have my dwarves finally make use of armor they couldn't due to the bug that was in 42.01 and 42.02 , so here's the followup to the situation from there :
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15096.msg6650517#msg6650517

Finally after a few latecomer joined, it was not just a little more than 230 enemies, but a little more than 280 goblins, beak dogs and trolls (with a few traitors) that were marching on my fortress !

My military had 40 (really) strong dwarves.
- 1st squad, melee soldiers, entirely made of legendary warriors
- 2nd squad, marksdwarves, made of highly talented warriors
- 3rd squad, melee, a few legendary and many highly skilled warriors
- 4th squad, melee, made a year ago, but by now they are very well trained warriors

With the armor bug finally gone, i was confident victory was possible.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What a battle it was.
In the end only 3 dwarves made the ultimate sacrifice to protect the fortress

An Axedwarf of the 3rd squad
A legendary Spearmaster of the 1st squad
A marksdwarf of the 2nd squad

3 braves dwarves now watching over their brothers from Dwarven heavens.

Of course there were wounded, but victory was in all the dwarves hearts, the mourning would wait for a while

But when i think of all those corpses and item to clean, i wish dfhack was working for this version, i'm missing the autodump a lot to save lots of time of dwarves slowly hauling everything for my atom smasher.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44493 on: December 13, 2015, 12:53:40 am »

I have a goal now.

I'm going to create the greatest tavern, temple, and library ever seen! Gold and marble columns! Statues! Performers! Hot and cold running booze!
Why stop at marble? I'm planning to use obsidian for the floors, walls and even ceilings of my facilities!
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44494 on: December 13, 2015, 01:37:42 am »

new version, first migrant wave, and way too much time figuring out the new skills and personalities. I'm judging these migrants so hard. Oh, you have a wife an dkids? where are they? WHERE ARE THEY!? fine fine, list known dwarves. Diety, yes... master?

wait... wtf is a master? scholar thing? how old are you? are you a vampire? ARE YOU A VAMPIRE!? no? necromancer? I'm watching you. Alright, I'm giving you the job "poet" and figuring it out later.

Next!

You sir... you're 155 years old? What's your name? Your new title is "Old man Mistem". Your wife is "Old Lady Ast". Go, do the farming labors. Oh, never worked a day in your life? guess you get to learn now.

Next!

You two are married? Have kids not here? Have... wow you realy do have quite a family tree, don't you? I've never seen a list so comprehensive in the aunt/uncle/cousin department. Ah... dream of raising a family. You came to the the wrong place. Too ugly spacey looking for a breeder family. to the military! Yes, really. Yes, both of you. Hurry along now.

Next!

106 years old... I swear we should tell the mountainhomes we have an age limit here. Fine... and no pets! I mean seriously, who brings a pet keet? No known family aside from your master? that's weird. What skills do you have? beekeeping? seriously? Marksdwarf? do we look lik ewe have a bunch of bolts and targets set up? dancer? bah, go with that poet guy over there. I'm sure you can manage something later. Oh, and farm duty in the meantime.

I think the exciting learning curve is back!
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #44495 on: December 13, 2015, 02:04:31 am »

Oh man, i was wondering why despite i had a lot of items to be hauled into stockpile, only 3 dwarves were doing it and tons of "no job" were idling ignoring the huge pile of work.

It happened that i had by mistake assigned 3 wheelbarrow to my stockpile instead of 0 (and in DF, dwarves will -only- use wheelbarrow if you assign them to a stockpile, leading to only a maximum of 3 dwarves to do the hauling for such stockpile, assuming you assigned the max number of wheelbarrow of course, that is only 3 max)

So in case you run into this "none is hauling" problem, remember to check your stockpile, in case you assigned wheelbarrows to them by mistake, and so change this number to 0 again

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44496 on: December 13, 2015, 04:48:19 am »

So operation Black Tower has been a pain in the ass. My first few attempts were hampered by some glitch where when you take a book out of a backpack the game doesn't really believe you. Then the location I built my fort on overlapped with a travelling army. Then when I retired my fort it was treated as abandoned and I had to reclaim instead of retire, former O7 were treated as ambushers. Then I discovered that the books I dropped in the fortress disappeared on reclaim. Then I made sure every book and the slab were in my hands, provoked a woodcutter, let him kill me, and voila!

Quote from: Black Tower Brochure
Are you sick of people? Places? Things? Do you ever feel the desire to show them all? Would you look good perched atop a black throne? Do you sometimes feel like dying isn't for you? Head on down to the Black Tower! Who says the secrets of life and death have to be secret? We have collected works of leading authorities on the dark arts and instead of jealously guarding them we're copying them down and opening our doors to the public! No dark rituals, no evil oaths, no faustian bargains, you want unlimited evil power? Just show up, grab a chair, and do a little light reading then bing bang boom YOU are just a refuse pile away from an unstoppable army of the undead. Head down to the tavern when you're done and enjoy a goblet of wine and a nice blackberry biscuit before you head off to on your quest for world domination.

It's always nice when the siegers are the good guys.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 04:52:34 am by Broseph Stalin »

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44497 on: December 13, 2015, 05:49:23 am »

I forgot that siegers can now not only climb, but also dig. Suddenly bolts were flying in the food stockpile and goblins from the 200+ sized siege were pouring in. Fortress design just got a lot more interesting.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44498 on: December 13, 2015, 06:03:42 am »

I forgot that siegers can now not only climb, but also dig. Suddenly bolts were flying in the food stockpile and goblins from the 200+ sized siege were pouring in. Fortress design just got a lot more interesting.
This is news to me. Did you by chance dig your stockpiles in the first layer of dirt? If you cut down a tree that's above a dug out tile it creates a hole that compromises your fortress.

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44499 on: December 13, 2015, 06:12:00 am »

This is news to me. Did you by chance dig your stockpiles in the first layer of dirt? If you cut down a tree that's above a dug out tile it creates a hole that compromises your fortress.

They are in the first layer of dirt, but there were no holes until this siege. I am almost positive. They dug in from above and the whole roof is now full of holes.

EDIT: I may have cut some trees by mistake... I don't know... I do remember Toady mentioning digging siegers at some point, but it might be that I'm seeing ghosts.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 06:26:31 am by FoiledFencer »
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44500 on: December 13, 2015, 06:30:17 am »

They are in the first layer of dirt, but there were no holes until this siege. I am almost positive. They dug in from above and the whole roof is now full of holes.

EDIT: I may have cut some trees by mistake... I don't know... I do remember Toady mentioning digging siegers at some point, but it might be that I'm seeing ghosts.

According to the dev page digging enemies are a future goal alongside building enemies and ladders/grappling hooks for enemies, you probably cut down trees.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44501 on: December 13, 2015, 06:52:38 am »

Tragedy struck Roaredcanyons! Before the first autumn was over, a wereape came. This former dwarf murdered 5 of ours, among them the two miners from the original settlers. We had no military, no traps and no bridges. That will change now, production of arms and armor commences. The expedition leader took it upon himself to learn the art of mining, and we entombed our fallen brethren. Slabs have been created in their honour and will be placed throughout the fortress, we shall forever remember them.

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44502 on: December 13, 2015, 07:07:24 am »

According to the dev page digging enemies are a future goal alongside building enemies and ladders/grappling hooks for enemies, you probably cut down trees.

Damn, the overseer messed up. I guess it saves me having to move everything into the stone layer though.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #44503 on: December 13, 2015, 07:48:45 am »

Since some time i was noticing i was losing workshops, didn't thought about checking the announcement, but it was annoying to have to rebuild them.

Then in a couple of minutes i just lost 2 , this time i checked and found what happened

Damn that medical chief, yes he's depressed and haggard/obliviously stumbling around but it's not a reason to destroy dwarven workshops.
Sanction will be the "special burrow", and a new medical chief taking this one place.

Racil

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44504 on: December 13, 2015, 07:53:47 am »

Decided to make a water cistern to store water in for winters, but it seems the dwarfs getting the water are all cave adapted and they vomit all over the cistern tainting the water. To counter this I send all my dwarfs outside to get used to the sun.
Then a minotaur decides to come on map when everyone is outside. I've never seen one before so I was a bit worried, but my unarmoured militia was able to take it out with only one wrestler lost.

Now I've filled the pond to about 4/7 depth, and I have an issue with all my tavern guests wanting to hang out in there. Some have been there for over a year. They have ramps so they can get out but they don't seem to want to move or do anything really.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 07:56:51 am by Racil »
Pages: 1 ... 2965 2966 [2967] 2968 2969 ... 3836