Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2967 2968 [2969] 2970 2971 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5859570 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #44520 on: December 13, 2015, 04:44:19 pm »

Lolor Leanpaddles, being the rightful heir, has inherited the position of baroness of Sackbolts.

I'm not sure where that place is, but apparently this migrant farmer is nobility now. She's listed on my nobles screen and makes the usual demands for accommodations. I'm sure it'll be all over the fort's engravings soon enough. My village of fifty-one now houses the lady of a random holding in the civ... Maybe I can make her the countess, too.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44521 on: December 13, 2015, 05:17:39 pm »

The danger of long lived fortress is that most of your military will be either legendary or a couple of rank close to it, with the strength and fighting ability that comes with the territory.

Why is it a danger ?

When one of your soldier decide to throw a tantrum, it is not anymore the relatively harmless punch or workshop/furniture toppling, but a murder spree

After the 1st kill i thought firing him from my military so he get back to his administrator job , then assign him to my "exile" burrow (far from my fortress) would be helpful, but the guy hasn't stopped, and that moron even murdered a militia captain !

I didn't assign a Captain of the Guard, as i wanted to avoid my population getting punched (and so falling into depression) too often for minor stuff, and i have not followed the crazy demands of my king, duke and mayor (meaning there are lots of worker that are condemned to prison) but looks like i will have to, as if i set him to be killed instead of regular dwarven justice being applied by the game, it could lead into tantrum panic.

edit : oh man, that moron murder spree made the merchant caravan panic, they didn't wait at the depot and are now leaving before i am even finished moving the trade stuff.
It says something about Dwarf Fortress that I find the thought of one of your Dorfs going postal absolutely hilarious.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44522 on: December 13, 2015, 05:41:50 pm »

Just had a blind cave ogre beat a web-spitting giant earthworm forgotten beast. There is a passage between cav2 and cav3 and it ends in this 20 something z-level high winding ramp down to the cav3 floor. They were fighting near the top and the ogre charged the beast who jumped out of the way into thin air and smashed into little bits far below. The crazy thing is that the forgotten beast had already attacked the ogre once and then left it unconscious or something. I'd like to think that the ogre learned something from his first encounter and hatched a crazy plan. I was so happy for the little guy. Too bad I had to send my military to dispatch the Ogre cause he was obstructing a corpse I needed to fetch.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #44523 on: December 13, 2015, 05:45:34 pm »

My astronomer is pondering the motion of the earth around the sun! Finally, we will shake off incorrect notions of the sun moving around the earth!

...Except I really wish you'd help the fluid engineer figure out how to breach the aquifer.

--------

Medtob Swordchampion, the working dwarf, has made some plump helmet biscuits! We seven dwarves have eaten only plump helmets and wheat biscuits, with some leaves if we can get them, but now we have milled sugar out of our sweet pods! Ahh, wonderfully sweet plump helmet biscuits.

---------

Every few days, Medtob feels the need to reorganize our library's bookshelves and chests.

And he made almond biscuits! Wait...

"This is a stack of 2 almonds biscuits. The ingredients are minced red spinach leaf and minced almonds."

Did my dwarf just invent salads? :o

Then he celebrated with the last of the wine.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 06:12:13 pm by jwoodward48df »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

kingu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44524 on: December 13, 2015, 06:26:58 pm »

A mercenary is walking around with a silver spear stuck in his right leg. It doesnt seem to bother him at all. He is very slow though. Been there for a year now.

On a sidenote. Is everyone getting barfights? I havent had a single fight in my fort. I want fights!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44525 on: December 13, 2015, 06:42:04 pm »

A mercenary is walking around with a silver spear stuck in his right leg. It doesnt seem to bother him at all. He is very slow though. Been there for a year now.

On a sidenote. Is everyone getting barfights? I havent had a single fight in my fort. I want fights!
Likelihood of brawling is based on traits, when you get somebody who likes to fight you'll get a LOT of them. Your mercenary is probably slow because he's crawling.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #44526 on: December 13, 2015, 06:43:56 pm »

ok, how come I'm not getting any sieges, I'm right next to a goblin dark pit, lot's of wealth, even adamantine, but no goblins sieges. I've also killed just about every elven  caravan for four years each time leaving one survivor...even the cave people are no chance for even the weakest fisherman!
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

kingu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44527 on: December 13, 2015, 08:46:51 pm »

Likelihood of brawling is based on traits, when you get somebody who likes to fight you'll get a LOT of them. Your mercenary is probably slow because he's crawling.

yeah he is. And since he wont go to the hospital he wont get a crutch...

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #44528 on: December 13, 2015, 09:44:33 pm »

My new design is starting to look mighty fine...

Project Superbowl II: Project Glory Hole

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44529 on: December 14, 2015, 02:16:34 am »

It's always a terrible great sign when you start up a new fort and the first thing is:

A section of the cavern has collapsed!

I also found the first cavern layer 9 layers down from the surface (annoyingly, I have only 2-3 layers of stone to work with above it), complete with deep pit. I can't see the whole thing, but by the shape of it, it's a magma tube of some kind. Interestingly, as I mentioned, this cavern starts 9 layers down. The announcement for the collapse was 82 levels down. I suspect I have one hell of a natural elevator going on in this site.

Also my Carpenter just decided to get enraged for no reason what-so-ever. I'm not sure what his problem is.

EDIT: AAAAA MY MENUS STICK AGAIN glorious day!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 02:24:05 am by FortunaDraken »
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #44530 on: December 14, 2015, 02:56:33 am »

ok, how come I'm not getting any sieges, I'm right next to a goblin dark pit, lot's of wealth, even adamantine, but no goblins sieges. I've also killed just about every elven  caravan for four years each time leaving one survivor...even the cave people are no chance for even the weakest fisherman!

It took the goblins 3 years before coming to me, by the time they had no hope as in 3 years my military was way superior to what they sent, but i got further sieges in the following years that were finally deserving to be called sieges when it came to numbers.
Too bad for them my military was even stronger and their troops were still low skilled.

I am wondering, is it possible to have a megabeast/semi megabeast siege in the same year a goblin siege come ? or is it exclusive  : with either a megabeast or a goblin siege and not both ?

In the 2 first years of my fortess i got an Ettin and a Giant , both ridiculously weak and nearly 1 shot-ed by my troops , and i would hate to think they're taking the "siege slot" for the year.
If it's the case, generating a world with advanced parameter and getting rid of those weak semi-megabeasts by setting them to 0 may then improve the gob siege rate.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 02:58:05 am by Robsoie »

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44531 on: December 14, 2015, 04:54:10 am »

I don't think there's such a thing as siege slots for the year or whatever. More likely it's just taking time for the gobos to path to your fort since they do have to path the surroundings. Beasts don't need to path in the same way I don't think, so they just pop up when the game ticks for a beast event, I guess.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44532 on: December 14, 2015, 06:34:02 am »

Do you have enough population for a siege?

Blue_J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44533 on: December 14, 2015, 08:39:12 am »

I've been playing my first fort since 0.34.11, (or possibly before. I don't recall, honestly.) It took some time to re-learn the controls, and the new raws for Dwarf Therapist showed up just as my fort had passed 50 dwarves and playing without it was becoming almost completely unmanageable. I've been trying to play in a less OCD way, because re-rolling worldgen 50 times and then re-rolling again whenever I didn't find iron or the landscape was the wrong shape or I made a mistake pre-planning the entire fort is probably what killed DF for me last time. This time, I'm going to roll with the punches and try to hold the fort until FPS death or regular death!

Anyway, my current embark is in a fairly unremarkable dense forest. (Nothing too fancy, since I'm just re-learning.) The good: Lots of trees, a river in one corner, no aquifer, and possibly more native gold than I've ever seen on a map. The bad: No useful metal, no sand, no clay, and (despite what the embark map told me,) no flux so far. Never tried to stick with a fort without metal before, we'll see what happens.

I didn't have much to trade the first fall, but in the second year I was able to buy various metal items to smelt. Unfortunately, right as I bought enough iron and steel for weapons the second autmun, a cyclops showed up, and I didn't have any traps set up, which was dumb. I was able to seal the fort entrance, and I scrambled my smith to make real weapons for my squad to replace the training weapons. The cyclops massacred all of my above-ground livestock, but when I finally counter-attacked, I only lost one recruit, so I'll call that a win.

Long term, I'd like a lava moat, but without metal or glass it's going to be hard. I may try to do it using lots of minecarts. It'll be suitably dwarfy and tedious, I guess.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 09:57:54 am by Blue_J »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #44534 on: December 14, 2015, 09:51:59 am »

Mercenary axedwarf just one shot killed an attacking wereweasel by decapitating it with a no quality steel battle axe. Shortest battle ever.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 2967 2968 [2969] 2970 2971 ... 3836