Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3398 3399 [3400] 3401 3402 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5859005 times)

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50985 on: November 25, 2017, 05:58:33 pm »

Saw a migrant whose job title was "Peddler".

His skills were military only.

I've been getting a lot of those. They're armed, too. I wonder if they're spies.

Don't think migrants can be spies yet, but I might be wrong.
If I had to guess, I'd say he's a spy for your civilization, and that the game doesn't realize he's off-limits.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50986 on: November 25, 2017, 06:42:09 pm »

Also, behold this locally-beloved Gorlak Poet and apparent kung-fu master. He successfully held off a werebadger unarmed (beating the tar out of it in the process) long enough for it to turn back and escape.

Unfortunately Master Gorlak was bitten near the end of the fight, and bled out. The stakes were the entire fort, since the werebadger was trying to sneak in through a recently dug passage to the surface that was set to be sealed. The military was in no shape to combat it.

He will be buried with honor and prominence in the temple to the Dwarven god of Poetry, which will be newly built in the tavern at which he performed so famously.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 06:46:18 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #50987 on: November 25, 2017, 06:54:07 pm »

Also, behold this locally-beloved Gorlak Poet and apparent kung-fu master. He successfully held off a werebadger unarmed (beating the tar out of it in the process) long enough for it to turn back and escape.

Unfortunately Master Gorlak was bitten near the end of the fight, and bled out. The stakes were the entire fort, since the werebadger was trying to sneak in through a recently dug passage to the surface that was set to be sealed. The military was in no shape to combat it.

He will be buried with honor and prominence in the temple to the Dwarven god of Poetry, which will be newly built in the tavern at which he performed so famously.

This is why I love gorlaks/plump helmet men, they seem like a bunch of idiots in the caverns, but they can be amazing.
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50988 on: November 25, 2017, 07:05:22 pm »

I didn't realize he was wearing armor. He was wearing bronze and iron armor. He was some kind of secret warrior-poet, but since he was not a historical figure his previous deeds are forgotten.

Luckily I have an quality olivine coffin covered in images of his fight against the werebadger (images made out of precious gems) while the God of Poetry looks on.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #50989 on: November 25, 2017, 07:19:23 pm »

Welp, after a pretty long absence from the game, Saturday has been utterly dominated by Dwarf Fortress. It's been a while since I've sat down with a game and just not wanted to get up again.

An Ettin came to my fortress. Didn't actually attack, just stood on a hillside killing passers by. Flicking through the logs I found it was smashing people's skulls open with a "Nabasmebzuth". Curious. A closer look reveals that the Ettin is weilding what amounts to an artefact hornblende pimp stick. Encrusted with oval malachite cabochons, encircled with bone, with small bone images of a snail man and a single cut gem. So if you imagine a black stone scepter covered in dark green polished gems and small bones, that's what this thing is. As far as DF artefacts go that's pretty stylish.

After nine deaths we managed to kill the Ettin. So now the legendary pimp stick is mine. As soon as I can get a case built, I'll put it on display and charge people top dollar to marvel at it.     

Edit: A sodding Kea stole the artefact.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 08:18:42 am by WordsandChaos »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50990 on: November 25, 2017, 07:35:40 pm »

I have a problem, I can't entomb this gorlak. Is there a way to get the game to allow me to entomb him? If not I'll just leave the empty coffin there with the images intact to create a legend of the kung-fu gorlak. Maybe I can dump the bones underneath the statue of the god in question.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50991 on: November 25, 2017, 07:40:33 pm »

I have a problem, I can't entomb this gorlak. Is there a way to get the game to allow me to entomb him? If not I'll just leave the empty coffin there with the images intact to create a legend of the kung-fu gorlak. Maybe I can dump the bones underneath the statue of the god in question.

If he wasn't a citizen or a dorf, that's probably the best you'll get.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #50992 on: November 25, 2017, 09:29:14 pm »

And a memorial stone, maybe?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #50993 on: November 25, 2017, 09:42:11 pm »

I didn't realize he was wearing armor. He was wearing bronze and iron armor. He was some kind of secret warrior-poet, but since he was not a historical figure his previous deeds are forgotten.

Luckily I have an quality olivine coffin covered in images of his fight against the werebadger (images made out of precious gems) while the God of Poetry looks on.
Ah, sounds like a Skald (DCSS). Neat! This should totally be a thing (warrior-bards).

Edit: In adventure mode you can actually do this. Beating up dragons and then singing about your escapades in a tavern, to the applause of all around you. I must do this. This is my goal.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50994 on: November 25, 2017, 11:52:35 pm »

New fortress, just hanging around for my hobbit caravan to arrive to check if experiments in the new animal tags are working. Two Dark Elves turned up in the first season. A monster slayer and a mercenary. So I obliged them by opening up the caverns. They ignored the giant olm and troll that quickly rampaged up to the bedrooms. Very suspicious.

Luckily just then a human monster slayer turned up, petitioned to join the fortress almost immediately and proceeded to eradicate the incoming cave beasties.

Retiring reveals both dark elves joined with false names. Damn spies. At least wait until I have a tavern set up. (The human was a genuine hero).
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 11:54:07 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50995 on: November 25, 2017, 11:56:07 pm »

burying the bones *underneath* the coffin (channel it out, drop the bones in, and floor it over) would be tasteful if your fort plan allows it and would be good for keeping the bones out of the hands of the dwarfs.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #50996 on: November 26, 2017, 12:00:43 am »

burying the bones *underneath* the coffin (channel it out, drop the bones in, and floor it over) would be tasteful if your fort plan allows it and would be good for keeping the bones out of the hands of the dwarfs.
no, don't bury him under his casket, bury this hero under a masterwork statue of him killing the werebadger, put as many engravings of him in his tomb as you can.
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #50997 on: November 26, 2017, 11:21:54 am »

As for my latest fort in a good biome, I am taking on the villainous aquifer that happened to be my last soil layer, and am hoping the claystone below is not an aquifer as I weaponize a brook to power some screw pumps so I may yet be able to dig a foundation to build those walls to victoriously bypass this first (and hopefully only) layer of aquifer.

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50998 on: November 26, 2017, 11:25:54 am »

Claystone isn't an aquifer stone, only sandstone, conglomerate, and puddingstone (forms large clusters within conglomerate) are.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #50999 on: November 26, 2017, 01:50:56 pm »

An Elf Prophet is visiting my fledgling fortress. Sadly, I am a bit rusty, and haven't been quick enough to provide visitor accomodations. I do wonder though, will he spread his beliefs, and convert my dwarves?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 3398 3399 [3400] 3401 3402 ... 3836