Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2928 2929 [2930] 2931 2932 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5866917 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43935 on: November 19, 2015, 01:39:16 pm »

The Zoombie has too many zombies in it.

I think I'll add a lever with all of the cages linked to it for instant-apocalypse if I want it. Cathelms is nearly 15 years old, might be time to raise the pop cap past 30 now that I got the new rooms dug out and such.

Gotta finish expanding all the rooms though, but hey.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #43936 on: November 19, 2015, 02:50:07 pm »

James Amidalath, manager baron of Bronzeancient: Journal Entry

24th Sandstone, 128: I have been chosen as baron! The honor! I will personally make some of my own statues, as well as furniture. I will admire it even more for having made it myself. My friends dig out my chambers, which will have high ceilings, and the engravers are working hard to smooth the rough stone. I am, again, quite honored. Apparently I have a "barony" sort of mind, whatever that it, according to Zulban the mayor/hammerdwarf.

------

5th Timber, 128:

Mafol, a farmer, has withdrawn from society and is acting peculiarly secretive.

6th Timber 128:

And now she is sketching pictures and collecting items secretly. I ask the workers to keep track of what she takes. It's fine to use our raw materials for such great crafts, but tell me! I'm still, of course, the bookkeeper, and I need to know exactly how many logs there are left!

Later that day:

I am working to make blocks, and I see her collecting logs.

7th Timber 128:

She has collected a willow log, a date palm log, and a rough rock crystal. Use that well. They are rare.

9th Timber 128:

She has brought one cushion cut yellow zircon, one roll of cave spider silk cloth (dyed dimple blue), two siltstone blocks, one bismuth bronze bar, and one square brilliant cut moss agate. She is now working secretly....

11th Timber 128:

We do not have enough chains for the jails! I mandate more chains! We are currently in fact making do with only eight ropes! Three more ropes or chains, I demand!

13th Timber 128:

Alekasteb, a willow scepter! Produced by the secretive farmer, this willow scepter has an image of Tekkud, our human outpost liaison (he's adopted). He's the one that made me baron! I may claim it, or save it for the king (who I hope may one day arrive here).

Taking a closer look, I judge with legendary skill that the scepter is worth 43,200☼. description (copied from stocks sheet):

• It is encrusted with oval moss agate cabochons,
  • decorated with cave spider silk, and
  • encircled with bands of date palm wood.
  • It menaces with spikes of yellow zircon,
  • siltstone,
  • and bismuth bronze.
  • On the scepter is an image of Tekkud Cudgelmanors the human in willow. (Note: this is our outpost liaison)
  • On the item is a rock crystal gem cut into an octagon shape.
  • On the item is siltstone cut with a table cut.

The ninth artifact! It will go into the vaults for now.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 06:13:31 pm by jwoodward48df »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #43937 on: November 19, 2015, 07:23:59 pm »

My bowyer had a strange mood.  I stopped him from using coal instead of any of the several expensive metal ores stockpiled nearby.  I stopped him from using claystone gizzard stones instead of the expensive cut gems I buy from caravans specifically for moods.  And finally, after collecting all his materials, he created... a blowgun.  Despite the fact that I've modded in several additional bows and crossbows, and no additional blowguns.  Well done, Stokko, I'm glad you're satisfied.

At least the thing's worth 202,800☼;  maybe I'll stick it in a weapon trap in the dining hall.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43938 on: November 19, 2015, 07:51:29 pm »

Reclaiming a ruined fort is interesting! I decided to try it for giggles, had to abandon because my embark settings messed up, went to reclaim it again and got all their stuff. Huzzah!

So far I'm up to 15 dwarves slowly cleaning up the place (there are cabinets EVERYWHERE), I have walled us off from the caverns so stuff doesn't wander up like the wild GCS that's currently trapped in the dining room. Need to make some mechanisms for cage traps.

Also there's a Serpentpeople ambush near the cavern entrance. They lost two people to another GCS before killing it. I'm hoping another GCS or a cave dragon wanders by and finishes them off. Military is the last thing on my mind right now, this place is a MESS.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #43939 on: November 19, 2015, 10:48:24 pm »

Just found out your dwarves can miscarriage and now I have a depressed dwarf who won't drink any water or ale or eat any cat burgers. Man that just made me feel really depressed and sorry for her.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43940 on: November 20, 2015, 06:11:10 am »

Fact: having a site with a waterfall is kinda cool.

Fact: the waterfall being a part of a brook is not cool.

Time to VERY QUICK channel out the top of this thing before we all drown.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43941 on: November 20, 2015, 08:01:09 am »

Just found out your dwarves can miscarriage and now I have a depressed dwarf who won't drink any water or ale or eat any cat burgers. Man that just made me feel really depressed and sorry for her.

... Really?

I've never had that happen. Ever. And I run generation forts. The chance for it must be really low, less than 1%.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #43942 on: November 20, 2015, 10:56:11 am »

Dwarves only miscarry if subjected to stress and/or trauma iirc, and trauma in DF is often either "mild injury" or "painfully and unquestionably dead."
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43943 on: November 20, 2015, 12:17:14 pm »

Well, that was fun but it doesn't promise too much for actual defence applications.

new movie: http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2744-perimeterguntestshot

Three minecarts cycle, each on its own ~ 400-tile long circuit, propelled to max useful speed via impulse ramps. Each cart goes past nine or ten exits, which are normally inactive. Only when a sensing pressure plate is activated will a bridge raise and divert the cart into one of the 28 shot barrels.

The barrel accesses look like this:

Carts travel north-to-south. If a bridge raises, the cart on that track can't go through and takes the corner instead. The extra solitary ramps are to prevent possible collisions between carts or carts being on top of a bridge when it raises.

A bridge raises 100 steps after it gets activated and if activated by a creature, it'll usually only stay up for 110-120 steps. A cart takes about 170 steps for a full cycle, i.e. the "up time" of the bridge must be extended to ensure a shot.

I did that on the cheap, by manual-reset latches:

above                                                  below
28 latches, each consists of nothing fancier than a sensor-operated hatch with a minecart on it, with the pressure plate that actually raises the bridge below. Sensor is activated, latch cart falls off the retreating hatch, lands below on the pressure plate and keeps it active until a dwarf comes around to put the cart back on the hatch. Carts here are usually forbidden. This not only means i can easily check if a shot has been triggered, it also prevents my stupid crafters from whisking latch carts away for decoration jobs.

So the cart leaves the main cycle, goes up a few ramps and slams into a wall under open ceiling to release its ammo. The shooting range looks like this:

Spoiler: big image (click to show/hide)

Each visible downward ramp is actually a gun barrel. A shot was released through the northmost barrel. The shot was triggered by one of the pressure plates in the middle of the picture, i think it's the one northeast of the alpaca, cougar and peahen (white "a", yellow "c" and brown "p"). The unit who triggered it was the yak cow, the corpse of which is visible at the very bottom of the picture. It was apparently busy running away from the other cougar (also a corpse now, next to the "Y"ak remains) that was the only casualty of the shot. There are more trap components (the large sigma sign) out of shot, to the south. The range over flat floor is 70-80 tiles.

The ramps don't cause ballistic launches, because they're not connected to the "forward" exit: barrels shooting south have an EW ramp under them. This way, the cart runs directly into the wall, releasing a flat (not ballistic!) shot, then slides off the ramp to the side. I made it like this to allow an automatic return of the cart to the loading station. The cart return network was probably the messiest bit of work where mining and engraving was concernted. A very small part of it looks like this:

Spoiler: 'nother large picture (click to show/hide)

This part services seven of the twenty-eigh shot barrels. The shot feed lines and return lines are -unsurprisingly- interspersed here. At the end of the return trip, the cart is unceremoniously dumped back into the loading station:

Three route stops, three 3x8 weapon stockpiles (no bins, take trap components from copper or silver only). The petrified wood bridge to the north is raised when the gun's in normal operation, to prevent both dwarfs and intruders from pathing into the gun.

No enemies have shown up in well over a year, i'm not really expecting much of this contraption.

In other news, we managed to fulfill a production mandate when the indicator was well into the red. Toy production mandates are fiddly stuff. And a dwarf made a thing - another clothier, another adamantine garment. This time, it was a toga, using two rolls of cloth and two wafers (decoration), resulting in a total value of just over two million.

Total fort value: a bit over 38 Million.
Of those non-adamantine artefacts: 470 000
Artefacts made from or containing adamantine: ~ 17 200 000
Total "architecture" and "displayed" values add up to 11,5 Mio, of which approx. 11 Mio are contributions of "built" adamantine artefacts. So yeah, we may have close to ten million value not counting adamantine.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 05:00:30 pm by Larix »

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43944 on: November 20, 2015, 03:15:51 pm »

ooh, my weapon smith with drew from society after her miscarriage...hmmm Tin mace decorated in Tin Spikes...disappointing. I don't even think a tin mace is good for anything anyways.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Sig-texts!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #43945 on: November 20, 2015, 03:20:35 pm »

ooh, my weapon smith with drew from society after her miscarriage...hmmm Tin mace decorated in Tin Spikes...disappointing. I don't even think a tin mace is good for anything anyways.
Reminds me of when my dwarf in Demongate made a tin mace. Just give it to your captain of the guard as a ceremonial weapon.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43946 on: November 20, 2015, 03:27:28 pm »

Reminds me of when my dwarf in Demongate made a tin mace. Just give it to your captain of the guard as a ceremonial weapon.
ok, well at least I now have a legendary weapon smith to go with the armor smith (got a tin helmet with the slaying of a crundle on it and the symble of local government, Decorated in rings of leather and has pieces of kobolite in it). For a three year old fort, rng hath favored me.
GENERATION 31:
Sig-texts!

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43947 on: November 20, 2015, 09:57:56 pm »

Zombies.

Due to some technical issues and an odd lack of any metal for armor, I've been about 1 siege behind on traps, and now three sieges behind on 'armor', and now I've got a zombie force outside that outnumbers my dwarven military.  I'm not sure my dwarves could handle more than about 5 of them without serious injury, so I pulled everyone in and sealed the door.

Now as I wait for my melters to find those precious steel items so I can start using dwarven practices to turn it into squadrons worth of armor, I'm seeing teeth all around my barracks, and a dead dwarf outside.

I'm not sure what happened, but the teeth belong to a human corpse.... ah, there's the zombie corpse in my barracks, with a pair of dwarves sparring on top of it.

Dunno how that zombie got in (I've a few ideas, but they involve climbing to areas well outside my active burrow, which means there should have been no dwarves in or near LoS...
I'm more puzzled as to how the dwarf got out.

Edit: I discovered that barracks has a skylight  :o
Re-Edit: Four skylights, sealed at the loss of one beloved mayor.   :-[   Digging deep now in search of better metal than silver for armor.

//Torrenal
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 02:57:49 am by Torrenal »

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43948 on: November 21, 2015, 07:29:19 am »

Yet another boring elf incursion:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This time I'm putting the fort under full lock-down to train my marksdwarves...

...and my siege operators.

EDIT:
Wait, what the hell?
My militia captain somehow slipped (jumped? warped??) beyond the walls and is now hogging all the prey to himself! Unacceptable.

And of course one idiotic marksdork charged into the ballista range while I wasn't looking!

EDIT2
Welp, right after most of the attackers had been skewered by crossbow bolts and ballista arrows, brave warping captain Olon Woundsmith mopped up the remnants without leaving any for his squadmates.
He's a new-ish recruit who had zero kills before this fight, and seems quite shaken by his abrupt entry into the world of elficide.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 08:17:34 am by SirQuiamus »

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43949 on: November 21, 2015, 08:39:59 am »

Pages: 1 ... 2928 2929 [2930] 2931 2932 ... 3836