Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: [LCS] Why Limit Hate Speech is a Conservative Prop.?  (Read 13065 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [LCS] Why Limit Hate Speech is a Conservative Prop.?
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2016, 03:04:52 pm »

If your idea of liberals is BLM or the Democrats, then you're rather ill-informed.

That was kinda the point of the mini-rant..

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2016, 09:39:05 pm »

It's a new-age non-gendered pronoun for people who are too grammar-conscious to use "they"

So in short: It's stupid bullshit.

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2016, 09:43:15 pm »

Well, the reality is that nobody likes it when people express ideologies other than their own, liberal or conservative.

I disagree entirely, I like to hear what people think regardless of whether or not I agree with them. It helps you open your mind and to understand other people.

That doesn't mean I can't think something is stupid though.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2016, 10:52:49 pm »

It's a new-age non-gendered pronoun for people who are too grammar-conscious to use "they"

So in short: you always want to sound like you're assuming someone's male? Alternatively, what about agendered people? We NEED a gender neutral pronoun. Shut the hell up, ignorant conservative.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2016, 05:15:39 am »

Pretty sure "they" is gender netural.

Also, nice assumptions you've made about my views.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2016, 05:25:33 am »

So in short: you always want to sound like you're assuming someone's male? Alternatively, what about agendered people? We NEED a gender neutral pronoun. Shut the hell up, ignorant conservative.

Bro, you're taking this a bit to heart. I don't think he meant to offend you like this.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2016, 12:16:07 am »

It was kinda a joke, kinda a parody, and kinda "me getting kind of outraged because somebody calls something bullshit that I support". If I were being serious, I'd have been a lot more polite. The conservative part was entirely a joke, given the board we're in. But that's the problem with the Internet, you can't hear tone.

...crap, I forgot to include a wink in my post, no wonder I seem outraged and berserk and in a martial trance and surrounded by goblins and screaming at them and this joke is much too long I'm not even sure what it was oh god how do I end this sentence NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2016, 10:46:34 am »

I thought he was calling bullshit on the fact that we need a new word, when Singular They goes back literally to Chaucer. It was only language prescriptionists in the Victorian Era who tried to stamp it out. They never succeeded. It's from that whole Classist "King's English" bullshit. So a good working class person should reject the rule and use Singular They.

That's the main reason xe or similar are silly: we already have a word for non-gendered third person singular, unless we're being Intolerant Revisionist Grammar Nazis while trying to be tolerant at the same time.

You know what's an abomination? Singular You. You was originally plural-only, and "Thou" was the singular form. If we're going to bring in xe, how about we bring back Thou as well?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 10:49:45 am by Reelya »

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2016, 02:26:02 pm »

1. Oh, that makes sense. Sorry, misunderstanding. Thought it was... a conservative... in here? no way.[/sarcasm? maybe[/sarcasm, definitely[/nested awesomeness]]]

2. FINALLY ANOTHER PERSON WHO UNDERSTANDS THAT YOU WAS NEVER SUPPOSED TO BE SINGULAR

I am always ranting about this to my family, and my friends, and random strangers on the street. Just like how I rant about how the plural of octopus, if we want to be pedantic, should be octopodes, but octopuses is also fine. Octopi makes no sense. "us" to "i" is a Latin pluralization - and octopus isn't Latin, it's Greek!

might have been a little off-topic, but it's been off-topic for hours SOME AMOUNT OF SOME UNQUANTIFIABLE PROPERTY BECAUSE TIME DOESN'T REALLY MATTER ON FORUMS

wait, #ofposts would work. *facepalm*
Sigtext!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2016, 04:54:13 pm »

Then real language pendants come in and point out that language only has value from consensus, and that perscriptivist rules are derived from the language people use; by definition, everything people say is grammatically correct, but sometimes the rules we use to describe that language are inaccurate. TL;DR: The least correct form of grammar is the kind found in grammar textbooks.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2016, 12:12:05 am »

Nooooo! I needed those pedantic rules to feel superior to everyone else!
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 2 [3]