Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Balacing harvestable  (Read 2174 times)

Evrett33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Balacing harvestable
« on: November 01, 2015, 02:21:03 am »

Could some effort be taken towards reducing the gamebreaking amounts of food that come from trees and bushes. 1-2 trees in my compound will provide food and fruit booze for 150 dwarfs. How do we want this addressed ?

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Balacing harvestable
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 11:35:43 am »

Suggestions forum ->.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 06:16:35 pm »

Evrett, please "Move" this thread to suggestions if you want it to be spoken of in more than a whisper....

"He-who-must-not-be-spoken-of has thought of reducing our food supplies..."

Edit: It seemed funnier when I thought of it. I guess I was just tired.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 12:06:01 pm by jwoodward48df »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 12:48:24 pm »

You could probably mod this by simply making all things gathered from trees/bushes be inedible, but be able to be processed at an "orchardist's workshop" or something similar to generate food that is actually edible at a 10->1 ratio or something similar. Not too complex of a mod, but it would take a fair bit of busywork to go through the raws and edit everything to fit the new pattern.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 06:53:23 pm »

Perhaps later on we'll see more realistic consumption; the increased yields might make more sense then. Right now, dwarves technically only eat, what, once a month? Because of the time compression involved in dwarf mode. Of course, they take, like, three days to do so. And spend a week drinking every two weeks or something.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 12:07:36 pm »

Not really. They used to spend weeks eating and drinking. Now they take a (more) reasonable amount of time eating, but the proportions are all off.

I would actually be fine if each day was modeled. Dwarves going to sleep at roughly the same time, the outside getting brighter and darker, large bells for signaling mealtimes. I'd like that as an optional setting.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Evrett33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 12:14:23 am »

I'd really like to know if Toady plans any food balacing in the new version. I went back to 38.11 to experience kidnapping and ambushes and found food management much more !FUN!. Wood management was also important as trees only dropped one log. (Limited)Resource management can be fun and the current excesses in trees and gatherables  makes that aspect of the game trivial.

ToadChild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 03:27:38 am »

Not really. They used to spend weeks eating and drinking. Now they take a (more) reasonable amount of time eating, but the proportions are all off.

I would actually be fine if each day was modeled. Dwarves going to sleep at roughly the same time, the outside getting brighter and darker, large bells for signaling mealtimes. I'd like that as an optional setting.
The problem is that for the time scales that Toady wants to represent in Dwarf Fortress some time compression somewhere is required.    Dwarf fortress "days" tick by pretty rapidly, so things like eating, drinking, and sleeping all take place on the week/month timeframe.  Similarly, walking from one end of the map to the other takes a surprising number of days.

If you model individual days, with a day/night cycle slow enough to impact the dwarven metabolism, you then have to compress the length of the year until a season is only a few days long.  Otherwise it will take days or weeks of real-world player time before caravans come, babies are born, or child dwarves grow up.  This is the approach taken by The Sims, where the average lifespan of a Sim from birth to old age is ~100 days by default.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 02:24:07 pm »

I'd really like to know if Toady plans any food balacing in the new version. I went back to 38.11 to experience kidnapping and ambushes and found food management much more !FUN!. Wood management was also important as trees only dropped one log. (Limited)Resource management can be fun and the current excesses in trees and gatherables  makes that aspect of the game trivial.

Soil quality is going to become a thing, so will proly nutrients be as well as recipes.

Also, how the hell are you playing .36 that food management was ever an issue? I started with what we call 40d(0.28something) and food hasn't been an issue ever.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 01:18:02 am »

I would set fruit that hits the ground to rot very quickly. I'd set it for 1200-2400 ticks in fortress mode. So you'd either need to have a lot of folks standing idle waiting for it to drop, or you're going to lose all of that output. I have no problem getting large amounts of fruit provided they climb up and get it. My apple tree puts out easily 20x as much material by mass as if I had cultivated it's drip line with something like wheat. IOW, I think trees are about as overproductive as farming in DF.

Evrett33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 08:20:31 pm »

IOW, I think trees are about as overproductive as farming in DF.

Agreed in this case I was lumping trees and other harvestables together. There is just too much, even in scarse deserts and it all grows back with little effort on the part of the player.
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2015, 04:29:28 pm »

Well good news folks! I have been working on a mod for this and I just released version .1

Crimson Crops: Food Overhaul Thread

it currently makes crops season dependent and requires months for them to grow based on real life numbers. I have also lowered clutch sizes of all domesticated birds.

In future iterations I will be adjusting more food sources.

The problem is that for the time scales that Toady wants to represent in Dwarf Fortress some time compression somewhere is required.    Dwarf fortress "days" tick by pretty rapidly, so things like eating, drinking, and sleeping all take place on the week/month timeframe.  Similarly, walking from one end of the map to the other takes a surprising number of days.

If you model individual days, with a day/night cycle slow enough to impact the dwarven metabolism, you then have to compress the length of the year until a season is only a few days long.  Otherwise it will take days or weeks of real-world player time before caravans come, babies are born, or child dwarves grow up.  This is the approach taken by The Sims, where the average lifespan of a Sim from birth to old age is ~100 days by default.

An interesting fact...I was able to calculate the yearly intake of food for a dwarf on a 2700 calorie diet to be roughly 832kg per year which puts each meal at roughly 104kg.

I am using that and other calculations to figure out food production numbers and I will be basing my mod around those numbers in the end.

Ignore the bit about being an escaped lunatic! My real profile is dennislp3...I just wanted to separate the two for modding purposes

Check out my mod Crimson Crops: Fun Food Overhaul if you are looking for a more balanced and challenging food system!