Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Was version .40 a bust ?  (Read 26947 times)

Evrett33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Was version .40 a bust ?
« on: December 04, 2015, 08:50:37 pm »

I'm looking at v40 and all I see is broken systems. broken invasion armies. various combat to hit bugs. food supply trivialization.  over detailed lag causing tree limbs. And all of this for slightly more detailed emotional system. I am I wrong to say 40 was a development stage best forgotten?

Xazo-Tak

• Bay Watcher
  • *Camping forever*
    • View Profile
Re: Was version .40 a bust ?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 08:57:09 pm »

0.40 seemed like an improvement, and what was added to get from 0.34 to 0.40 was vital to proceed to 0.42.
How to have recursive Fun:
Have Fun
Reclaim fort
Destroy your main graveyard with a cave-in

AernJardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 08:59:10 pm »

Not at all! Better dialogue, better emotions, multi-z level trees complete with changings of the season, harvestable tree fruit and much more outdoor plant-life detail and uses, climbing in dwarves and everything else, and a whole bunch of other stuff I am sure I am forgetting. Each DF version is a step forward, some of them can just be a little rough.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 09:25:18 pm »

If you say that, you missed the point of the update and miss the point of Dwarf Fortress. The emotion system wasn't even added until 0.40.14 and the food trivialization until 0.40.08. The part that gave it 6 version points (the most of any update, mind) was the fact that it activated the world, which is, in fact, the entire point of dwarf fortress.

Saying what you got out of 0.40 is a better emotion system is like saying that Super Mario Bros' most important contribution to the video gaming world is the idea of koopa shells.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 09:29:32 pm by Putnam »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 09:33:59 pm »

Man, though, Koopa shells, am I right?!
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 09:34:52 pm »

Food trivialization? Huh? Google helps not.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 09:39:29 pm »

Trees make it basically impossible to run out of food. They drop a LOT of fruit.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 09:43:53 pm »

Ohh. Thanks.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 09:53:31 pm »

yes until we get a more in depth system that steps away from the current 1 food item = 1 meal food is practically a non point

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 11:03:50 pm »

That'll happen eventually. I suspect when cooking and farming gets overhauled.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 11:25:59 pm »

Trees make it basically impossible to run out of food. They drop a LOT of fruit.

Never running out of food has been trivial since long before trees were added (outside of frozen wastelands, which don't have trees anyway).
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2015, 01:28:10 am »

I'm looking at v40 and all I see is broken systems. broken invasion armies. various combat to hit bugs. food supply trivialization.  over detailed lag causing tree limbs. And all of this for slightly more detailed emotional system. I am I wrong to say 40 was a development stage best forgotten?

Hmm,

What I Disagree with:
1. v40 added a lot, especially regarding the interaction with the world map/succession/legacy and brought us even further towards more larger scale global issues. I'm very happy for this

2. Fishing, plump helmets and egg layers have made food trivial forever, so the trees trivializing things is more of another option to your infinitely easy ways of getting it. The more the merrier

3. I like climbing, I like jumping, I like the additional swings and such for combat.

What I agree with:
1. Invasion and thieves had major pathing issues and that made me almost entirely stop playing v40 in fort mode. Yah it sucked bad, but now that it's fixed in this edition, I like the features v40 add to armies for adventure and fort mode.

2. Multi attack introduced more gimmicky exploity combat. But again, we already have this if you really do want to exploit things...whips, throwing, wrestling etc

3. Lag, v40 really packed on some lag issues regarding populations. (Especially adventure mode)

4. My biggest one...Way too over powered undead.

5. People behaving far too cowardly. Again this seems to be much better now, so I appreciate that v40 allows us to have those emotions to begin with now that they work.

So I think it'd be appropriate to rate this in two ways:

Short Run Rating: 4/10
(Fort mode pathing problems, and Adventure mode cowardly behavior/overpowered undead really made this version rediculously boring compared to 34)

Long Run Rating: 8.7/10
(Now that they work better, this current version plays great!)

DrunkGamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Beer loving Gentledwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2015, 07:16:22 am »

The only "broken" thing in .40 were invasions, and even then you could still get invaded by settling next to a goblin pit. And to add to it, invasions aren't the only interesting thing of DF, self imposed challenges are.

"I want to build a gigantic pyramid out of candy and make magma flow through it"

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2015, 09:30:29 am »

The only "broken" thing in .40 were invasions
Do you really think that? Well, what do I have to say to that..
Ah, yes..

It was inevitable.

Nothing like making all tasks you could ever perform be completely ignored by absolutely everyone.
Oh and this is still true in 0.42.1; "oh no bandits are harassing us!!" -> kill the fuck out of the bandits and drop the leader's corpse near their face -> "It was inevitable."

thanks
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 09:34:50 am by Bloax »

oh_no

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2015, 10:15:34 am »

The only "broken" thing in .40 were invasions
Do you really think that? Well, what do I have to say to that..
Ah, yes..

It was inevitable.

Nothing like making all tasks you could ever perform be completely ignored by absolutely everyone.
Oh and this is still true in 0.42.1; "oh no bandits are harassing us!!" -> kill the fuck out of the bandits and drop the leader's corpse near their face -> "It was inevitable."

thanks
I guess your version must be broken then. Everybody else gains reputation. Haven't you noticed that after spreading tales of your titan killing exploits, people start to greet you with 'Wow, a legendary hero. You'll have no trouble travelling at night, the bogeyman would get me', and such.

System is working fine. 'It was inevitable' as Toady has said several times is a placeholder and no way indicitive of a broken system.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6