Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Was version .40 a bust ?  (Read 26950 times)

DrunkGamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Beer loving Gentledwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Was version .40 a bust ?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2015, 11:08:57 am »

The only "broken" thing in .40 were invasions
Do you really think that? Well, what do I have to say to that..
Ah, yes..

It was inevitable.

Nothing like making all tasks you could ever perform be completely ignored by absolutely everyone.
Oh and this is still true in 0.42.1; "oh no bandits are harassing us!!" -> kill the fuck out of the bandits and drop the leader's corpse near their face -> "It was inevitable."

thanks

Uh, you're comparing the usage of a placeholder text with invasions being semi-broken. You can still entirely enjoy adventure mode even when people won't give a shit about you. In the other hand, a fortress without the constant danger of goblins fucking your shit up is pretty boring if you don't set your own objectives.

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2015, 11:30:29 am »

Last version was an improvement.
This version is an improvement.

Now don't mix things like bugs and new features , those are INEVITABLE but over time they will be ironed out, removed and replaced with new bugs and features.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2015, 11:52:26 am »

You are comparing Dwarf Fortress versions as if they were different instances of a series of games. This doesn't make sense.

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2015, 01:04:19 pm »

You are comparing Dwarf Fortress versions as if they were different instances of a series of games. This doesn't make sense.

I think the issue is that the OP is combining both "development stage" and "looking back on" in the same argument. Hence why I stated my long run and short run 'analysis'.

To the development of DF, v40 was essential, necessary, and an overall improvement in my opinion. Though a few issues persist, I'd certainly say it was for the greater good given the fun im having in this version.

But looking back on v40 while I was playing it. Many features of gameplay were hardly functional with respect to a large portion of it's additions the version offered.
(*Edited some grammar errors)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 01:11:56 pm by quekwoambojish »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2015, 02:02:39 pm »

"You know, winning the lottery sucks. I got all this money, so I have to pay more taxes, and my wallet is soooo heavy. I gained a lot of weight 'cause I'm eating more now, and people keep calling me to ask for money."
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2015, 02:11:09 pm »

I would agree, .42 is breath of wonderful fresh air. .40 basically erased everything fun about adventure and fort mode ( extremely easy food, rare kidnappings, rare seiges, rare theives, impossible convoluted quests).

In an attempt to make the world more alive the world never seemed so dead.

I still played it, but thankfully those days are over and we have another good version. Praise armok.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2015, 02:14:08 pm »

the quests were basically the same in 0.40 as they were in 0.34, they were just moved a little

...and they haven't changed even in the slightest in 0.42 from 0.40

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2015, 02:19:06 pm »

the quests were basically the same in 0.40 as they were in 0.34, they were just moved a little

...and they haven't changed even in the slightest in 0.42 from 0.40

Naw, in 0.34 you could realistically track down quest objectives without having your cognition raped by information overload and UI problems. I argue 0.42 is better then 0.40 not because of improvements on the crazy system of tracking quests but rather the shear amount of things you can do as well as objectives created by your character's needs / civ cultural ideas.

Also, rather then tear the heart out of the world (kidnappings, war, the world interacting with your fort) for the sake of immersion or abstracted concepts of a world moving unseen (except for FPS) behind your fort, new systems now actually create gameplay elements that make you feel part of an active world (song, visitors, etc).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 02:21:49 pm by k33n »

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2015, 02:31:16 pm »

While I wouldn't call it a bust, I definitely think .40.xx was a lot rougher around the edges than usual releases. It dumped a lot of new features and systems into the game - which was the release' primary purpose. Overtime, Toady will certainly build on these basic systems and polish them into something a bit more enjoyable (like .42.xx!).
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2015, 02:56:55 pm »

40.x was feeling to me more like  kind of "development" version in between 2 releases, new systems were put in place and were required for what's next in Toady's plans with the world activation thing, but most of them were breaking things that were fun in 34.11 .
For actually playing the game i still had a lot more fun replaying 34.11 actually.

Now 42.01 has some new stuff that improve over 40.x obviously, the systems are still the same and will be improved and fixed for sure, at least i hope :D

For the adventure mode there are still too much "it was inevitable" and overall passivity (but i must admit there is a slight improvement, some very rare npc aren't passive anymore) for my enjoyement as i'm not interested in the dance/sing/story new stuff , each to their own i guess, and already saw the other 40.x remaining adventure feature during df2014 era.

Now fortress mode has sieges again, they still take their time, but they come surely now, unlike in df2014 in which you prepared your military for a decade, reaching all of them to legendary status by just sparring a couple of years and the extremely rare gob siege coming were incredibly weak in number and skill (no weapon master or weapon lords in gobs rank, only low skilled troops).
Just the siege potential coming back to me is a big improvement over the broken 40.x and made me enjoying 42.01 so far despite the crashes and other assorted problems.

Hopefully with more bug fixing and tweaking of the 42.x , we'll all be happy to forget 40.x and get back DF out of just some testing things to a more fun experience like in 34.11.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 02:59:50 pm by Robsoie »

Evrett33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2015, 06:30:27 pm »

God I had forgotten about kidnappings being a thing that could happen. When you have a year+ in between versions I think its fair to treat each release as an individual product rather than a development stage.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2015, 10:10:13 pm »

Oh yes gods I'm never going back. DF2015: only improvements. And bugs. But the worst have been fixed and I'd rather have horse-filled worlds with sieges than normal worlds without.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2015, 10:20:03 pm »

The only "broken" thing in .40 were invasions
Do you really think that? Well, what do I have to say to that..
Ah, yes..

It was inevitable.

Nothing like making all tasks you could ever perform be completely ignored by absolutely everyone.
Oh and this is still true in 0.42.1; "oh no bandits are harassing us!!" -> kill the fuck out of the bandits and drop the leader's corpse near their face -> "It was inevitable."

thanks

Uh, you're comparing the usage of a placeholder text with invasions being semi-broken. You can still entirely enjoy adventure mode even when people won't give a shit about you. In the other hand, a fortress without the constant danger of goblins fucking your shit up is pretty boring if you don't set your own objectives.
I'm comparing the single most important part of adventuring (getting famous!) being completely broken compared to 0.34 to an important part of fortress mode being broken.

The reason doing performance stuff in 0.42 is of any interest to me whatsoever is due to the fact that you actually gain recognition for it; people actually react to you doing it.
They do not act at all to you performing feats and quests for glory. In fact they're outright dismissive about it. That absolutely kills the buzz of adventuring.

Because nobody is going to care, and "actually doing it" is not a fun motivator if you know exactly how broken the game is and how to exploit that.
Of course you could play without exploits, and sure - I will do that. Once somebody gives a fuck about what you perform in the world for them.

oh_no

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2015, 10:54:48 pm »

For me, the most important part of adventuring is exploring a world. And that is way improved in DF2014. Though, of course, to each their own.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2015, 02:23:39 am »

I'm comparing the single most important part of adventuring (getting famous!) being completely broken compared to 0.34 to an important part of fortress mode being broken.

The reason doing performance stuff in 0.42 is of any interest to me whatsoever is due to the fact that you actually gain recognition for it; people actually react to you doing it.
They do not act at all to you performing feats and quests for glory. In fact they're outright dismissive about it. That absolutely kills the buzz of adventuring.

Because nobody is going to care, and "actually doing it" is not a fun motivator if you know exactly how broken the game is and how to exploit that.
Of course you could play without exploits, and sure - I will do that. Once somebody gives a fuck about what you perform in the world for them.

Except that's... literally untrue. Kill a dragon and they'll say "it was inevitable", sure, but ask them about yourself and they'll say "You are a legendary hero". This was as true in 0.40 as it is in 0.42. People are really quick to call you a legendary bard in this version, heh.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6