Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will the Undead raised by a Necromancer Citizen be friendly or hostile?  (Read 2580 times)

AMTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, so I lost a fort to a zombie siege, but it was really nice. So I tried reclaiming it and half of the reclaimers died horribly basically within seconds of entering the settlement.
So I retired the fort, went and made a demigod, a cheated demigod with all the stats as it wasn't to play just to clear out the fort, sneaked into the tower and picked up necromancy because, hey why not, then slowly hunted down all the zombies I could find in the settlement, chatted with the survivors who were now happily working in the town, well kinda happy, all they wanted to talk about was death and inevitability, but alive and busy scholaring.
 Anyway, I retired them there as they'd done the one thing they existed to do, expecting them to vanish into not being represented when I unretired the fort.
 But they're still around, which was good as it turned out I'd missed an elf corpse and then made them militia captain and sent them off with do that. But, it's weird, I now have a Necromancer in my fort. A necromancer demigod in my fort.

And she raised a duck from the dead to do her bidding. I mean it's just a duck, but it bodes, which is what drawbridges are for.
 If I let the duck in to my fort, will it be a friendly duck corpse? or will it kill my scholars?

If my scholars kill it or it kills my scholars, will that turn the necromancer hostile and lead to one of those civil wars that used to happen in the old version?

Or is there any chance at all, my fort will now be protected by a legion of the dead?

AMTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Will the Undead raised by a Necromancer Citizen be friendly or hostile?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 04:20:08 am »

She managed to find some skeletons inside the settlement, raised them and they promptly massacred the scholars. So, no worries...
It turns out the answer is hostile, and playing it safe until you find out doesn't work unless you lock the necromancer outside too

Also, outside of the military and raising the dead, she doesn't seem to do any work.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 04:37:13 am by AMTiger »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 07:17:06 am »

Undead are supposed to be hostile to all life, and the necro isn't attacked due to its undead controlling power, so any other living creatures should, in theory, only be saved from being massacred as long as the necro actively reins them in (which I think isn't included in DF, at least not in fortress mode). On the other hand, black tower sieges in 0.40.24 frequently consisted of one or two living "handlers" who weren't labelled as necros (can't speak for 0.42.02 here, but guess it's still the same).

If the necro is a full blown citizen it should be controlled as normal, but if it's a resident who's petitioned to stay in the fortress it seems they can be ordered to do only what they applied to do until they become full blown citizens.

An army of undead outside your fortress will indeed protect the fortress from invaders, but it will also attack any dorf daring to step outside...

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 07:46:02 am »

You should have left the slab in your library so that your non necromancer citizens would read it and join in the fun.

The game considers necromancers themselves as a form of undead, so the "opposed to life" tag on zombies doesn't instantly trigger hostility against them. That and vampire curses would be surefire ways of immunizing your dwarves against the local zombie population.

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 08:26:16 am »

If you maintained 2 sections to the fortress, one filled with non-necromancers and a library full of books on the secrets of necromancy and the other section 100% necromancers could you then allow the undead free access? Do necromancers get bad thoughts from being around the undead?

Or perhaps a military which is 100% necromancers.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 01:55:11 pm »

And now we get the ☼Warlock☼ mod in vanilla.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!