Tilesets!
- 8 (50%)
ASCII only!
- 4 (25%)
I don't care
- 4 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: Dwarven Temple Contest!  (Read 21246 times)

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Temple Contest!
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2016, 04:33:12 pm »

I'll be happy either way, tilesets or no, just figured we should decide before we start so everyone is playing by the same rules.  :)  My thoughts are that if we wanted a strict, OMG TEMPLE CONTESTS ARE SRS BSNS contest then all entries should be judged in either ascii only or at least in the same tileset as all other entries...

That said, in the interest of everyone having fun (myself included), I think it'll probably be easier and more fun for everyone involved if we just let everyone play and submit their entries in the tileset (or not) that they feel most comfortable with.

Personally I'm just excited to see what sorts of cool temples and ideas everyone else comes up with.  This is going to be !!FUN!!.  :D

--nomad_delta

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2016, 06:36:53 pm »

Poll's up
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2016, 07:12:44 pm »

What is our stance on players using DF hack to aid in construction?  It's considerably less impressive to have a massive steel temple when they used "createitem BAR STEEL 1000" to spawn it all.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2016, 07:53:41 pm »

Nogoodnames and vjmdhzgr have both been added to their respective lists.

I generall mean no utility tools or changing raws.  I don't want to make a comprhensive list for each individual possible change someone could make, but I would say generally keep things as close to their initial settings as possible, to ensure a fair chance for each contestant.

Of course, I don't care too much about softer init changes, like pop cap or weather, but try to keep it fair, so I'm going to say keep invaders and cave-ins on. For anything else, I'm leaving it up to your own judgement. If you think it would give you an unfair advantage, don't do it.

Edit: We will try to start when we get around 10 contestants.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2016, 08:56:08 pm »

I interpret the rules there as "Bugfixes and pop-cap", but nothing else.

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2016, 12:39:51 am »

Yeah, pretty much what LordBrassroast said, but I'll try to update the first entry soon to make it look nicer and have more of the rules that we've talked about so far.
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2016, 07:11:22 pm »

I guess I can give this a try.  If nothing else, my Novice level offerings should act as a foil against which your Legendary temples may shine the more brightly.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2016, 07:16:25 pm »

I guess I can give this a try.  If nothing else, my Novice level offerings should act as a foil against which your Legendary temples may shine the more brightly.

heh greycat that was pretty much my plan; we can be mediocre together. :)

--nomad_delta

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2016, 08:31:15 pm »

I'd like to compete

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2016, 09:01:46 pm »

Sign me up as a Fanaticolyte! Or however you want to describe a participant in the atrocity to come.

What is our stance on players using DF hack to aid in construction?  It's considerably less impressive to have a massive steel temple when they used "createitem BAR STEEL 1000" to spawn it all.
I'd vote no dfhackery except to offset bugs and crashes.

Either that, or make a "full disclosure" rule for dfhack and require the participants to state exactly what they did. Some things, like tuning the elevations pre-embark so you have a nice hill or valley, are relatively benign.

I'll be playing with Ironhand, regardless of how rules and voting are done and if that means being disqualified.

When creating the save, think hard about the number of z-levels above ground. If people are making temples, you might want to make that a lot larger than the usual 15.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2016, 09:10:02 pm »

Are we going for multi level structures here? Or just single level ones, and so the all have to be designated as a temple?

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2016, 12:12:26 am »

The list has been updated.

As of now, it looks like tilesets are going to be allowed.  I like gchristophers' idea of having people post what changes they made in df hack, but again don't do anything too cheap, like creating materials, fastdwarf, or anything like that.

Also, if you have any requests for what the world should look like, post here and I'll try to incorporate it.  Right now I'm leaning towards a small or medium world with high civs to increase the pantheon variety, low number of sites, extremes in elevation and temperature, and a high number of volcanoes.

Edit: Oh, and for multistory vs. single level, do whatever you want.  You can mark multilevel structuress as being all one temple, just make a bunch of meeting areas and assign them all to the same temple.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 12:24:02 am by TheCheeseMaker »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2016, 09:12:22 am »

A smaller world is better, because some of us are going to be facing FPS as the major challenge.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2016, 11:12:28 am »

A smaller world is better, because some of us are going to be facing FPS as the major challenge.

THat is true. I'm going to have to on a 2x2, no matter what. Though, What do you think about metals? high?

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2016, 01:05:38 am »

I like doing metals rare as a game mechanic - it makes "rare" metals actually rare.  A full golden temple would have to either embark on a place where there's a vein of the stuff, or be really successful trading for gold items.  However, with the economy broken, that might be too much of a challenge.

I'll be looking more at a temple's "flow" and specific architectural aesthetics than I will for quantity of ornamentation or valuable materials anyway.  Bonus points to appropriate special nicknames and titles of the clergy and attention to structural detail (supported walls/floors, pillars, arches, ect...).
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13