Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cancels Job: Horrified  (Read 3634 times)

HiddenEyes056

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh my gosh!
    • View Profile
Cancels Job: Horrified
« on: January 01, 2016, 08:25:27 am »

I got a migrant wave today that tripled my fort population. Nothing out of the ordinary, until ...

One of them spotted a mangled gremlin in the corpse pile. They dropped what they were carrying and cowered on the floor for a few minutes, then dusted themselves off and kept on with life. This happening much to anyone else?
So basically the Mountainhomes is now sending complimentary cheese dip with every caravan.
A named spider who died centuries before I even played was helping rescue kids I had in fact rescued.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Cancels Job: Horrified
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 08:37:36 am »

<NOOOO> What happened to my cute little Mogwai???? <Horrified>

But yeah, it happens all the time, depending on dwarf personalities.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 09:52:26 am »

Yes. It's actually LESS common than in 0.40.X. Seeing sapient bodies (and parts thereof, including half a tooth) used to instill bad thought in all but the most battle hardened of dwarves, and a merchant seeing it will immediately recoil in horror, dump what's hauled, and leave, taking the rest of the caravan with him without any notice except the horror marker over his head, if you happened to watch at the moment.

Currently, most dwarves seem to not care about dead sapients, but some still do. The standard advice is to keep sapient bodies away from the eyes of your dorfs. One way is to use a quantum stockpile where the storage part is down a hole so the hauler loading the cart will only see the body hauled, not those at the bottom. You can also do the same with manual dumping.
An issue with the bodies now appearing in the corpse stockpile rather than in the refuse one is that the corpse stockpile doesn't have any sub menus, so you can't separate the dorfs (who you'd want to bury) from e.g. the goblins (who you'd want to obliterate). This means magma at the bottom of the hole might not be a good idea since your occasional dorf may end up there. The same goes for an atom smasher, although you have more control over that method of disposal.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 06:49:57 pm »

Eh, engraving slabs would cover any dwarves that get burned.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 11:18:25 am »

I manually dump bodies.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 09:27:13 pm »

An issue with the bodies now appearing in the corpse stockpile rather than in the refuse one is that the corpse stockpile doesn't have any sub menus, so you can't separate the dorfs (who you'd want to bury) from e.g. the goblins (who you'd want to obliterate). This means magma at the bottom of the hole might not be a good idea since your occasional dorf may end up there. The same goes for an atom smasher, although you have more control over that method of disposal.

That can be solved by clever engineering and careful use of stockpiling. In addition to the stockpilers, have a dedicated undertaker that hauls the dwarven corpses out of the hole and to the nearby cemetery. Or just have it done later by the stockpilers. Then you can add the magma, or atom smash.
Alternatively, you torch everything and just carve slabs for people, or have empty coffins dedicated to them.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 09:31:02 pm »

or have empty coffins dedicated to them.
Will that work? I had a fisherman ghost, even though he did have a dedicated coffin. His corpse was stuck up a tree though and unreachable. Slabbing him put the ghost to rest.

Does this not happen if the corpse is burned / atomsmashed?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 09:45:08 pm »

If the corpse (I think specifically it's the upper body?) is unrecoverable, for any reason, then you need a slab to put the ghost to rest.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 06:06:18 pm »

But yeah, it happens all the time, depending on dwarf personalities.

Once a dwarf has seen a lot of dead sentient creatures, he will eventually turn less sensitive against it. Not feeling anything when he sees a mangled corpse. They can get over it if they have enough happy thoughts to balance it out.
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 06:37:43 pm »

Yeah, just dump a goblin corpse in his bedroom. He'll get a nasty shock when he wakes up for the next few days, but pretty soon he'll get used to it.

Hope he likes miasma. :)
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 06:41:14 pm »

A dwarven toe is enough to put the ghost to rest. Not just any toe, I mean, the ghost's toe. The toe the formerly fleshy ghost had when he was alive.

Spoiler: unrelated (click to show/hide)
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!