Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 778

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 855386 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly sad today thread: THE CLAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWW edition
« Reply #2175 on: November 22, 2016, 08:35:14 am »

I don't understand how people interact with strangers.

Like you're apparently supposed to pretend they care about what you have to say, even though they don't, in order to build enough rapport for them to actually care about what you have to say? But it's annoying to bug people with things they don't care about?

How did I even manage to have friends
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Things that made you mildly sad today thread: THE CLAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWW edition
« Reply #2176 on: November 22, 2016, 09:23:56 am »

Like you're apparently supposed to pretend they care about what you have to say, even though they don't, in order to build enough rapport for them to actually care about what you have to say? But it's annoying to bug people with things they don't care about?

By interacting with people who care what you have to say to begin with. Common interests and all.

WAIT WHAT THE HELL

How am I giving interpersonal relations advice?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: November 22, 2016, 10:06:21 am »

Cinder, you just have to give strangers the benefit of the doubt. Some people do small talk that's relatable to most anyone. Sometimes, I like to broach real talk with strangers too; disclose sensitive or personal or sometimes socially risky information or opinions, which lets strangers know what kind of person they're talking to.

Put yourself in a strangers shoes; odds are their desires and concerns aren't that different than yours. Think about the way a stranger you'd like to talk with and get to know would talk to you, and try to do that with them. Empathy has a lot of uses.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2178 on: November 22, 2016, 10:25:12 am »

I do social interaction by... in Afrikaans it's called 'picking up stompies', which are cigarette butts, but it sounds terrible in English.

Anyway, if I happen to catch a snippet of a loud conversation amongst a group that seems open and friendly, and I have a relevant thing to say, I'll toss it in. It's a good way of making casual friends, or at least people whose names you know.

The other way is, when waiting for the same thing as someone else, to strike up an idle conversation about it.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: November 22, 2016, 11:28:16 am »

I do social interaction by... in Afrikaans it's called 'picking up stompies', which are cigarette butt

"picking up butts"

Now there's a bit of social interaction I'm ok with.
Anyway, there are people, people are usualy able to talk, so you talk to them. Comment on things they ask if its appropriate, and allow conversations to flow by itself. You can talk to all kinds of people with all kinds of nonsensical talk.

Don't be worried about scaring people, thats a good thing.
Because anyone that doesn't like you should at least be scared of you :U
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: November 22, 2016, 03:27:19 pm »

A combination of tiredness, anxiety, unhappiness, a lack of sufficient pockets and the fact that I just got paid a few days ago have combined and are rapidly convincing me to not go to "work" this morning. In fact, they pretty much have already. I can always get more sleep tonight and go tomorrow and the next day instead, and even if there is a problem I have plenty of time to sort it before my next unemployment payment is due to come in.

Kinda wish I had something worthwhile to actually do with my self-proclaimed day off, though.

Edit: Forgot to mention that my alarm either didn't go off this morning or I somehow slept through it, waking up about a half-hour or so late.
I need time to wake up before doing things this early, damnit, at least when I sleep schedule isn't very good. Spoiler alert: It isn't.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 03:33:48 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: November 22, 2016, 03:42:50 pm »

What people really want is for other people to listen to them talk.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: November 22, 2016, 05:33:38 pm »

What people really want is for other people to listen to them talk.
True enough, I suppose, but not always true. I sit next to someone who has some very interesting things to say on history every now and then.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: November 22, 2016, 05:39:55 pm »

I for one prefer when people actualy talk back :U, I hate the feeling of having someone completely passively listen to me.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: November 22, 2016, 06:03:02 pm »

So I found an Australian liquor website selling Buckfast (which I have never tried) for quite cheap and got quite excited, but then the shipping costs doubled the price... then I noticed a "local pickup" option which raised my hopes again, only for them to be dashed once more when I realised the physical roots of said website were two liquor stores all the way over in Western freakin' Australia.

How unhelpful. :-\
Cursory googling suggests there's not really anywhere else in Australia that sells the stuff.
Booze is Life for Yoink

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: November 22, 2016, 06:26:37 pm »

Oh dear good God

Do not get Buckfast.

It's a byward for acid round these parts.

((Even if it is affectionately called buckie too))
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: November 22, 2016, 06:42:15 pm »

I for one prefer when people actualy talk back :U, I hate the feeling of having someone completely passively listen to me.

Yep. I didn't mean completely passively.  :)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: November 22, 2016, 10:14:23 pm »

Brother had to come over and bring his girlfriend. I'd really appreciate a day without being reminded that i'm single and unemployed.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: November 23, 2016, 09:43:51 am »

For some stupid reason I went to family's place this evening and now have stayed up 'til past midnight.
There's no way I can reasonably get up and go to work at 5AM now, barring energy drink which is expensive... and the supermarket is closed that early, so I'd have to buy it from a servo ("gas station") on my way and that would be even more expensive.

Honestly I can't really be bothered. It's not like this "job" actually benefits me in any way.
But I will probably have my pitiful unemployment payment severed if I don't show up too many days in a row. Maybe I can get a medical certificate stating that I had good reason for being absent... :-\
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 10:43:17 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: November 24, 2016, 01:29:39 pm »

Yesterday, I tl;dr'd a couple of weird's posts, and then a couple more, and today I just skipped 6 pages or something in the ameripol thread.

I should probably just go back to not reading it at all.
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 778