Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forges and Smelters Generate Smoke  (Read 1174 times)

Trappington

• Bay Watcher
  • Micromanager for Hire
    • View Profile
Forges and Smelters Generate Smoke
« on: January 18, 2016, 05:38:37 pm »

This is something that I have been thinking about for awhile, and since I was just reminded of it by another thread I wanted to write this down so I didn't forget.  I think that having forges and smelters produce a plume of smoke every time that they complete a job would not only increase realism, but also provide a bit of incentive to add some neat designs into your fortress (i.e. smokestacks).  The nature of smoke might have to be changed slightly so that it will consistently rise multiple z-levels and leave the fortress rather than stay low and gas out the metalsmiths, but ultimately I think it would be a worthwhile change.

(And yes I do know that this topic has been suggested before, its just that the most recent thread was from back in 2014 so I figured that I would just start a new one with fresh dialogue.)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forges and Smelters Generate Smoke
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 10:13:20 pm »

Don't mean to be the forum police (but today I just kind of feel that way), but your new thread doesn't invalidate the discussion and ideas from a couple of years ago. Unless it went completely off the rails (as suggestions threads sometimes do) you should probably do what it says at the top of the page: add to the existing thread. Necro rules don't apply to the suggestions forum (generally).

Remember just one guy with a pretty busy schedule has to read through all these threads (well, he doesn't have to, but apparently he does).

Smoke though, great idea and I imagine needs as many ideas as possible on how to implement without destroying fps, making game micro-management hell, etc.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 01:25:41 am »

Magma forges should be exempt from this as well, though a smelter making pig iron/steel should still give off some smoke
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 10:14:58 am »

When this was suggested previously, it also included stuff like using wood and kindling and the fact that kitchens should also require fuel. At some point, lighting will be implemented and perhaps also heating which will also produce smoke.

This raises a few questions. Will chimneys essentially become a long shaft at the top of which you build fortified walls so the smoke clears out?(which would be kinda boring and pointless) Will caverns have their own atmosphere and so be able to disperse smoke? Will smoke be weaponizable like water is now?

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 10:54:51 am »

reaction_smelter.txt

[REACTION:BRONZE_MAKING]
[NAME:make bronze bars (use ore)]
[BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:1:METAL_ORE:TIN]
[REAGENT:B:3:METAL_ORE:COPPER]
[PRODUCT:100:4:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:BRONZE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BOULDER:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:SMOKE]
[FUEL]
[SKILL:SMELT]

inorganic_metal.txt

[INORGANIC:SMOKE]
   [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:METAL_TEMPLATE]
   [STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:embers]
   [STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:embers]
   [STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:smoke]
   [DISPLAY_COLOR:0:7:1]
   [MATERIAL_VALUE:0]
   [SPEC_HEAT:400]
   [IGNITE_POINT:9000]
   [MELTING_POINT:10000]
   [BOILING_POINT:10010]
   [SOLID_DENSITY:200]
   [DEEP_SPECIAL]

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 04:17:21 am »

Er... I'm not convinced [DEEP_SPECIAL] needs to go on your metallurgic smoke, as I'd imagine that might interfere with other features.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 08:08:00 pm »

It prevents objects made of the smoke material being generated in worldgen. And I've not had problems with candy or clowns.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 10:42:02 pm »

Erm, try using [SPECIAL] just in case.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 01:37:57 pm »

How would the smoke behave over time?

Would it be a case that the room would gradually will with smoke and unhappiness if left alone? Or would it behave more like mist, a wipsy thing that appears and then vanishes? And could it be designed so that ventilation done in a certain fashion would mitigate or redirect it for makework and aesthetics? Would it be subject to gas dynamics somewhat akin to water, and would that burden the FPS?

Trappington

• Bay Watcher
  • Micromanager for Hire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 06:17:06 am »

I think that it should act  similar to how smoke does in real life, moving upwards if possible and only diffusing after a long time in a large volume of air.  With a general trend of moving upwards, it would be easy enough to make one's forge/smelter a couple of z-levels tall followed by some chimneys that will carry the smoke to the surface.  I can't say how this would affect FPS, but I have a feeling that it wouldn't be too bad if smoke was given a very simple formula for its movement.  Something like it can only move outwards if it can't move upwards or if it is blown by wind and after 7 z-levels in the open air it dissipates completely.

PersonGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 12:08:56 pm »

This change would almost certainly complicate Fortress design by making it so you can't have unventilated underground conventional forges lest you suffocate or just give to your dorfs bad thoughts, which is more realistic so I think it is good.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 12:11:13 pm by PersonGuy »

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 02:30:42 am »

I've said this in another thread about this topic. But, what about the heavier gasses that don't rise so easily?
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 02:16:38 pm »

Nothing floats in water so I'd think heavier-than-air is a long time coming. Besides, smoke rises one way or another. Ash might be heavier than air, but it still goes up the chimney by virtue of the draft.