Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 56

Author Topic: Archcrystal: 500 years in a fortress [SPOILERS] Finished  (Read 477708 times)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archcrystal: 243 years in a fortress [SPOILERS]
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2016, 01:06:41 pm »

Nguslu: Hey, why are we letting some dwarf take control of our tower?
Utes: He's not a dwarf, he just looks like one, he's really a demon.
Nguslu: How do you know that? He sure looks like a dwarf to me.
Utes: He came out of a blue-metal spire. He must be a demon.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

sirvente

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2016, 08:36:21 pm »

Since when does Threetoes write stories with happy endings? They all seem to end on at least a bittersweet note

AbanShakehandles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • microscopes are fun
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2016, 06:13:27 pm »

It's quiet... too quiet.

I hope those demons in the ceiling didn't catch wise.

*bites nails anticipatorily*
It's like we're looking
down on Wayne's basement, only
that's not Wayne's basement.

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2016, 07:01:24 pm »

Last time the dwarves of Archcrystal began to put up the clear glass walls in Hell and discovered where the remainder of the demons were hiding. Now the king reveals his true plans for the fortress to the sheriff…

Doren the sheriff sat in the king’s chambers and breathed in sharply before speaking.

“The channel is dug, sire, though I fail to see why we had to tap another underground lake. You intend see your sister’s plan through, I understand.”

“Yes, I do.” The king replied.

“A clear glass fort in hell. It’s ambitious.” Doren’s eyes flashed.

“Indeed, but I have much larger plans than my dear departed sister.”

“Is that why we are dumping water on the magma sea?”

“Yes… we are going to turn much of it to stone – and then dig down through it. At the same time we will dig up through the semi molten rock from hell.” The king smiled.

“You want to connect hell with the 3rd cavern?”

“Yes and much, much more.” The king rolled a large parchment onto the table. “Behold”

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

“We will connect hell with the surface. We will dig a large hole all the way down and raise a clear glass spire from the underworld through to the top of the jungle so that the sun will shine into hell through our glorious glass tower.”

Doren was speechless. It was rumoured that the demons raise towers of slade from hell to the their dark fortresses on the surface, but could the dwarves do the same with glass?

“Such a plan would take decades.”

“Good.” Said the king.

Doren the sheriff nodded and left. He had his orders and he liked the challenge. He gave the order and the dwarves started pouring water into the magma sea so they could start digging…

So there’s my master plan. A clear glass tower all the way from hell to the surface. The only thing is I’m going to have to use DFhack HFS-Pit command to dig a hole through the semi molten rock because while you can dig up through it, it’s only one staircase and then it’s surrounded by revealed tiles which you can’t dig through. You can dig a large hole if you can get all of your miners to complete their staircases at exactly the same time but co ordinating that would be a nightmare, so this is the one instance I’ll use DFHack. I've been a bit busy with work lately, so updates might come a little irregularly.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2016, 07:38:30 pm »

How big of a tower are you planning? Could you dig out a candy spire and fit it in that space? I suspect that would be too small, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Wilm0chimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2016, 07:51:28 pm »

Have you tried deleting some of the items you have built up as a means to improve FPS? Im curious what your FPS will go to if you deleted every single item in the fort, cleared ownership of clothes etc.

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2016, 08:12:20 pm »

Yeah the candy spires are too small plus they are in upper left, lower left, and lower right corners. I want the tower to go in the middle square. It'll be about 20 tiles in diameter. The other hard part will be building it through the 2 rivers, but I have a plan for that.

For fps I regularly atom smash garbage. So I'm usually on top of it but the world history, unit numbers, decorations. After almost 250 years those start to take their toll. I'm ok with 15 fps for now, I've played at 6 before. But like we have 3200 dead/missing and the game has to remember all of it, so not much to do there.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2016, 07:16:24 pm »

You haven't ported it to 0.42, have you? Also, Bastiongate was bug-ridden after only 57 years, I can't imagine 250.

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2016, 08:15:26 pm »

Yeah I'm not going to port it yet. Maybe when I'm done constructing. For now it's pretty bug free so I think 42 will have wait

sirdanilot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2016, 08:48:21 pm »

There is a method to cave in stuff on top of SMR so that you can slowly dig throug hit, but to do that for a 20 tile diameter tower would be night impossible I think.

Definitely following this though.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2016, 09:52:17 pm »

A crystal spire that thrusts up from the maw of hell?

O.o

Also there's a DFhack command you can use to purge the unit dead list, though I doubt it will have any effect on FPS I would imagine.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2016, 11:07:23 pm »

Ptw

RocheLimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2016, 11:58:14 pm »

So there’s my master plan. A clear glass tower all the way from hell to the surface. The only thing is I’m going to have to use DFhack HFS-Pit command to dig a hole through the semi molten rock because while you can dig up through it, it’s only one staircase and then it’s surrounded by revealed tiles which you can’t dig through. You can dig a large hole if you can get all of your miners to complete their staircases at exactly the same time but co ordinating that would be a nightmare, so this is the one instance I’ll use DFHack. I've been a bit busy with work lately, so updates might come a little irregularly.

Have you considered the Dwarven Power Mining method (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=133810.0) for creating the hole?  It may still work in the current version.

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2016, 10:47:16 am »

Have you considered the Dwarven Power Mining method (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=133810.0) for creating the hole?  It may still work in the current version.

That looks interesting, thanks for sharing it. I'm not sure it'll work for the semi molten rock since there is a full 7 layers of it between hell and the magma sea. But I'll look into using it for the upper layers.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2016, 02:46:56 pm »

Powermining, IIRC, was a "feature" that has since been fixed. If it still worked, it could collapse any number of tiles, any thickness you want.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 56