Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Ulengoddom : The First Dwarven Democracy.  (Read 13869 times)

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
Re: Ulengoddom : The First Dwarven Democracy.
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2008, 05:47:00 am »

Adamantine armor seems to be a good idea. Even though I'm pleased, I think we have had too many deaths.

As for the demons, can we somehow release them on the surface without wreaking our fort. Using them as a defense force would be great. Meanwhile, I vote in favor of feeding them our nobles, Queen included.

Oh and are there any of my dwarven fellows who think that our sleeping quarters are way too small. This is a democracy, by Armok ! Not a commune.

[ March 19, 2008: Message edited by: Istrian ]

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2008, 06:09:00 am »

Isterian, you're technically a legendary worker so your quarters are actually 5x5.

As the for the migrants, it was mostly the problem of housing twenty more dwarves and getting them settled in before the next wave arrived. :/ But, if you want to call a vote on increasing the size of our bedrooms feel free to do so. You can do the mining and furnishing yourself. ^^

About the queen, I'm not certain if we will get another if I kill her off. Which would be ... dissappointing. Barons and the like will always be quickly replaced, but the ruler? I'm not certain.

Of course, she hasn't arrived yet so the point is really moot.

Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2008, 08:27:00 am »

Oh, sorry, I only noticed the cramped bedrooms on the map. I thought these were the standard.

Even then, I will defend the workers rights to a large bedroom each. I will dig them out personnally if need be ! Everyone must have a fair life before a fair death.

About the demons. It shouldn't be hard to dig a straight tunnel from the outside down to the pits (with a few locked doors on the way) and release demons when under siege. It shouldn't be impossible to trap them back inside playing with locked doors and chained dogs.

As for the queen, I will abide by your decision to keep her hostage... I mean keep her as a valuable guest.

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2008, 02:54:00 pm »

So what if we dont get another queen?  We dont need one!  Build a +Felsite Guillotine+ and lop her dome off, 18th century style!  =]

Well...if you have to keep her fine.  Maybe theres some disadvantage to dead rulers.  Ive never had a queen so I wouldnt know.  But at worst, Ulengoddom must be a constitutional monarchy.  And the constitution should protect innocent craftsdwarves from random hammerings.  Maybe lock the hammerer up in a tower somewhere.

Thus ends the official written history of the fortress known as Boatmurdered. May their tortured souls rest in peace.

Lemnx

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding Cheese
    • View Profile
    • Lem_Nx
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2008, 03:22:00 pm »

The slime part was... interestingly suspenseful...
..."I bumped Nist Akath and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"...

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2008, 08:17:00 pm »

oh, no worries. The hammerer will be the first to go. As for our queen, well, just wait untill she arrives.

Plus I plan to dump his hammer at first opprotunity.

Also, if anyone else wants to join we have a ton of anassigned dwarves.

Current Votes: (Mayday talked with me on the IRC, so his votes are in)
Poll 1:
Armor 3
Weapons 1

Poll 2:
Noblcide: 3
Train and send in military: 1

The voting window is closed.

Admantinum Armor production will begin immediatly.
All nobles, exceping the queen, will be tossed into the demon pits in order to preserve the lives of our military.

[ March 19, 2008: Message edited by: Jamini ]

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Lemnx

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding Cheese
    • View Profile
    • Lem_Nx
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2008, 08:21:00 pm »

DF IRC?  :D!

Server and Channel please?

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2008, 08:23:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Lemnx:
<STRONG>DF IRC?    :D!

Server and Channel please?</STRONG>

Server: WorldIRC
Channel: #bay12games

Link: http://www.bay12games.com/chat.html

[ March 19, 2008: Message edited by: Jamini ]

Lemnx

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding Cheese
    • View Profile
    • Lem_Nx
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2008, 09:48:00 pm »

Thanks ^_^

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2008, 01:11:00 am »

Apparently, there is a bug in the current version where adamantine rulers will not show up. Meaning, we don't get the queen anyway. Yet.

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2008, 09:06:00 am »

Is there really no one among us who feels that we shoul use the demons as our main defense force against sieges ?

I would think VeryInky's death would serve to support my idea.

Glorious leader, I would like to call for a vote on this topic during next year's meeting.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2008, 04:56:00 pm »

Wayfarer's Log
6th Granite
Another loss today. The miner we sent to dig out the execution chamber was attacked by a proper demon today. Fortunatly, we had already walled off the area in case of that eventuallity and we lost nobody else. The tentacle demons still remain below, unable to climb, but this demon we must destroy if we are to get into the pits.

I've told our engravers to make fortifications for Solon to kill the demon.

11th Granite
Jayfrin has been acting strangly. When he was in the feast hall today he suddenly let loose a ferocious roar and left for the workshop level with a vicoius gleam in his eyes. When I followed him to ask what the matter was, I had noticed that he had barred the door to the forge and was grabbing adamantine wafers as fast as dwarvenly possible. I know not what he is making, but it is going to be very valuable...

14th Granite

Elves have arrived again, bringing with them piles of food, cloth, and wood. Bearded Sack tried to avoid trading with them, telling me that he was on break. After I reminded him that elves also bring the swamp wiskey he loves so very much he quickly changed his mind.

16th Granite

Jayfrin stagged from the forge, his clothes and face soiled black with soot and sweat as he walked past the small crowd of dwarves who had stopped by the forge to watch him daily. He was weary, and tired, wanting nothing more than to eat, drink, and return to his room and sleep.

Disuth stood a short ways off, racing forward to catch the metalsmith as he tripped over a low bin of metal bars. "Whoa there Jayfrin. Where is it, what did you make?" she said, noting how light the dwarf seemed to be after his five-day madness.

Jayfrin said nothing, his head sagging as he motioned to the forge behind him, staggering out of the grip of the captain of the gaurd and slowly walking towards the food stockpiles.

Disuth turned and watched as he left, his low shoulders sagging as he continued away, and then she turned and walked up to the forge. As she opened the door she gasped at the artifact within.

7th Slate

After much deliberation, construction on a large palaside outside so that we may safely harvest trees has begun. When completed, this will protect our woodcutters and haulers from goblins and wildlife. Of course, I do not believe that only one palisade will be enough for the needs of fortress.

Jayfrin came to me today about expanding the quarters of the new migrants, claiming that the rooms we carved were too small. After some discussion he has been relieved of his duties on the fortress guard and sent to join the mining teams in carving out these new bedrooms.

11th Slate
The elves have left, their leader considerably happier than when he came. I really don't care much, but BS seemed happy that he got his swamp wiskey. I think I saw him sneaking away with a barrel of it. No doubt he is going to hide it in his room.

27th Slate

Several Muxoxen have become large enough to butcher tody. Their meat, bones, and skin will be a much-needed boon to our stocks. I also took a quick look into the barracks and found several soldiers with spinal injuries, I've told them to practice in the archery range for the time being.

3rd Felsite

The brook has finally defrosted. At long last we have an internal water source.

5th Felsite
Svenge came to me today with word of another group of homeless dwarves on the horizon. I suggested that he raise the drawbridge, we hardly need more dwarves as it is, but he simply shook his head as he pointed out that several of them were already in the castle.

Frusterated, I went out to meet them and discover what exactly we could do with them.

x1 Dungeon Master
x1 Fish Cleaner
x2 Child
x1 Potash Maker
x1 Siege engineer
x4 Peasant
x3 Craftsdwarves
x1 Engineer
x1 Blacksmith
x1 Marksdwarf
x1 Herbalist
x1 Tanner
x1 Animal Dissector
x1 Armorer
x1 Swordsdwarf
x1 Metalsmith

1 mule, 1 kitten.

The majority of them will be learning new professions, and the three craftsmen will not be extracting adamantine strands, much to their dissappointment. I've put the swordsdwarf and marksdwarf in the fortress gaurd and told them to train their hand-to-hand skills up slightly.

As for the Dungeon Master, well, we will "deal" with him when the time comes.

[ March 20, 2008: Message edited by: Jamini ]

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2008, 05:36:00 pm »

5th Felsite

"Jayfrin!" a shrill shout echoed though the fortress, catching the ears of the recently recovered metalsmith. The heads of the entire workshop floor turned as Wayfarer strode into the workshop level, Disuth in tow, and made straight for the forge.

"The gold items I asked you to make, where are they?" She demanded, her face red with anger. "You've had months to make them!"

The metalsmith gave Wayfarer a strange look, his eyes full of confusion as he noted the fact that disuth was carrying an extra set of platemail and no weapon. "Erm, we don't have gold Reg... You know that."

"We imported some! That's no excuse. The assembly voted for the creation of these gold items and you... you failed to make them." the distraught dwarf continued, shaking her head. "Put on the Armor Jayfrin."

The craftsdwarf look of confustion turned to fear as he suddenly realized what was about to happen. His face turning white as snow. "Wait. You can't do this Wayfarer, we are all equals here. Even you can't order anoher dwarf beaten like this!"

The Wayfarer just shook her head sadly as she motioned to the scroll she was carrying. "In a democracy, no dwarf is above the law either. The punishment for failing a mandate is a beating Jayfrin. You are the head metalsmith so thus you are responsible. I cannot change that. Please, put on the armor."

The metalsmith made to argue, to plead his case, but he stopped as he saw the pleading look in Disuth's eyes. The captain of the guard did not want to do this nearly as badly as he did not want to be the recipiant.  "All right, just make it quick."

As he turned around, he felt the hard hand of the captain of the gaurd slam against his head and then, nothing.

6th Felsite

The deed is done. Jayfrin has a slight concussion and will be laid up for a few weeks while he recovers from his injuries. Disuth was kind to him, but in accordance to our laws she did not hold back.

To reinforce the point of the law, I've mandated the construction of three spears. There shouldn't be a problem keeping this mandate and it will give our smiths some use for the copper we have laying around.

[ March 20, 2008: Message edited by: Jamini ]

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2016, 02:43:55 pm »

I present the biggest necro story on the forums.. As in it has not been updated in a little under a DECADE
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2016, 11:47:30 pm »

Oh gods why did you do that

This is a pretty good story though. If someone wants to reanimate it, I'd be glad to help. But not manage, I can't manage anything.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]