Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a list of what is being added in the upcoming update?  (Read 1753 times)

MaGicBush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is there a list of what is being added in the upcoming update?
« on: September 01, 2017, 01:04:15 pm »

I'm just curious to see what is being added or changed in the new update that's due soon. I don't see a list anywhere, and I don't really want to scroll through all the news posted on the site for the last year since I played. Or if someone is kind enough to let me know here that would be great :).

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Is there a list of what is being added in the upcoming update?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 01:26:06 pm »

Try this?

Also, a summary of the devlog since 43.05:

Artifacts (and heroic items)! More involvement/creation/influence in world history; artifacts moving around the world and passing hands (looting, peace offering, whatnot); NPCs now care about artifacts; fortresses can display artifacts more; artifact-related interactions between your fortress and other parties (invading armies, thieves, requests, etc.); more possible interaction between PC adventurers, NPCs, and artifacts (retrieve a stolen item for a noble! obtain a rare scroll for a scholar! etc.); and so on. (Some of this will also tie into the previous update, which [in dorf-mode] focused on taverns and temples and visitors.)

Being able to attack outside your fortress by sending squads of militiadwarves! They can rescue prisoners, too, or even be captured and imprisoned themselves. In general, you can look at the rest of the world in a better way (the old, nigh-useless (c)ivilization screen has been improved).

Worldgenned dwarforts are more navigable! (Every player who plays dwarven adventurers should be ecstatic.) Kobold caves have also been improved.

More shadiness! Criminals and thieves and whatnot do more things and are more important. This ties into both the main focus of this updoot (artifacts!) and the taverny stuff of the last updoot. Spies exist (and I think PC-adventurers can have cover identities too!) This makes me excited:

Quote from: 12/19/2016
We finished up the monks and other new critters, and today was the first real day engaging with agents enjoying their new covers. The last agent I looked at involved a human town on the border of two separate evil lands that was itself half-goblin by year 50. The demons could send in goblin agents to collect information that arrived there without much suspicion (they'd use humans for the towns farther from the border).

Kutsmob Dentblack decided to assume the identity of a prophet of Oled the Gleeful Healing, the god of justice, and wandered around town shouting about the impending doom of the world. Over the years, he befriended a human priest as well as the gangster boss that hung out at the Fragrant Brunch tavern. The friendships are stored asymmetrically -- they thought of the 'prophet' as a buddy, while Kutsmob considered them information sources.

At the same time, a human from a civilization to the south had infiltrated the town pretending to be a petty criminal, and a goblin from the other evil civilization, pretending to be a bard, had made it in as well. Kutsmob's tradecraft was lacking, and he was 'befriended' by both of these agents, though neither of them knew that Kutsmob was also an agent -- they just thought he was a good information source -- and Kutsmob himself simply thought he had a few buddies to help him pass time during his assignment. It was fun to load up the world and see them all talking together with the ganglord at the Fragrant Brunch.

As for when it will happen - I haven't been looking much, but I'd guess maybe early October September (because while my math skills are impeccable, my calendar skills are not), given a back-of-the-envelope calculation and the figures he's given us. I KNOW NEITHER MATH NOR CALENDAR and I give up
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 10:35:07 pm by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

MaGicBush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 02:40:30 pm »

Try this?

Also, a summary of the devlog since 43.05:

Artifacts (and heroic items)! More involvement/creation/influence in world history; artifacts moving around the world and passing hands (looting, peace offering, whatnot); NPCs now care about artifacts; fortresses can display artifacts more; artifact-related interactions between your fortress and other parties (invading armies, thieves, requests, etc.); more possible interaction between PC adventurers, NPCs, and artifacts (retrieve a stolen item for a noble! obtain a rare scroll for a scholar! etc.); and so on. (Some of this will also tie into the previous update, which [in dorf-mode] focused on taverns and temples and visitors.)

Being able to attack outside your fortress by sending squads of militiadwarves! They can rescue prisoners, too, or even be captured and imprisoned themselves. In general, you can look at the rest of the world in a better way (the old, nigh-useless (c)ivilization screen has been improved).

Worldgenned dwarforts are more navigable! (Every player who plays dwarven adventurers should be ecstatic.) Kobold caves have also been improved.

More shadiness! Criminals and thieves and whatnot do more things and are more important. This ties into both the main focus of this updoot (artifacts!) and the taverny stuff of the last updoot. Spies exist (and I think PC-adventurers can have cover identities too!) This makes me excited:

Quote from: 12/19/2016
We finished up the monks and other new critters, and today was the first real day engaging with agents enjoying their new covers. The last agent I looked at involved a human town on the border of two separate evil lands that was itself half-goblin by year 50. The demons could send in goblin agents to collect information that arrived there without much suspicion (they'd use humans for the towns farther from the border).

Kutsmob Dentblack decided to assume the identity of a prophet of Oled the Gleeful Healing, the god of justice, and wandered around town shouting about the impending doom of the world. Over the years, he befriended a human priest as well as the gangster boss that hung out at the Fragrant Brunch tavern. The friendships are stored asymmetrically -- they thought of the 'prophet' as a buddy, while Kutsmob considered them information sources.

At the same time, a human from a civilization to the south had infiltrated the town pretending to be a petty criminal, and a goblin from the other evil civilization, pretending to be a bard, had made it in as well. Kutsmob's tradecraft was lacking, and he was 'befriended' by both of these agents, though neither of them knew that Kutsmob was also an agent -- they just thought he was a good information source -- and Kutsmob himself simply thought he had a few buddies to help him pass time during his assignment. It was fun to load up the world and see them all talking together with the ganglord at the Fragrant Brunch.

As for when it will happen - I haven't been looking much, but I'd guess maybe early October, given a back-of-the-envelope calculation and the figures he's given us.

Awesome! Thanks for the quick reply. Cool to see we can go off site and interact with the world a lot more. I may actually try to get into adventure mode this update after all these years. Spies sound fun also :).

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 03:33:47 pm »

No problem! This update is definitely intriguing. The last one was easy to pin down - it was primarily about the new activity zones, visitors and their interactions with those zones, and new dwarf-mode happenings in those zones. This one seems a bit more general - it's making the world as a whole more realistic and detailed and inter-active (in the sense of "interacting with other parts of itself") as well as interactive (in the sense of "you can interact with it in new and different ways"). And that is a very important step in the development of the game.
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 09:30:59 pm »

What I'm hyped about is kobold caves being actually populated. Yay for modded kobold adv mode raiding parties!
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 10:33:19 pm »

Yay for them being more than a few kobolds standing around a pile of junk, outside! Now they'll be standing around a pile of junk, in a hole!

But seriously, more realistic/detailed koboldy stuff is fun. Plus they'll be able to steal artifacts and then keep them, so there's that.
Sigtext!

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 11:58:09 pm »

Yay for them being more than a few kobolds standing around a pile of junk, outside! Now they'll be standing around a pile of junk, in a hole!

But seriously, more realistic/detailed koboldy stuff is fun. Plus they'll be able to steal artifacts and then keep them, so there's that.

To be fair, there were no kobolds AT ALL last time I checked, in ALL caves.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 11:33:15 pm »

Caves? You ought to look in kobold camps. That's where I've always found them. I haven't found kobolds in caves since the 2d version.
Sigtext!

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 02:01:57 am »

Caves? You ought to look in kobold camps. That's where I've always found them. I haven't found kobolds in caves since the 2d version.

Yeah, but the camp ones tend to be hostile to adv kobolds unless you use some convoluted DFHack magic to take control of a specific bandit.