Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How dangerous is fire?  (Read 4743 times)

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Re: How dangerous is fire?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2016, 05:12:49 pm »

All creatures are impervious to fire if you disable temperature calculations.

Yeah, but I didn't.

If your cats are impervious to fire then odds are you did.

Of course not.  However, after more testing I see my question wasn't precise enough. By "fire" I meant "A Fire", the status/description similar to "Smoke" or "Miasma" or "Dragonfire", which is visible in a tile upon inspection with "k". That's the one cats survive. I thought it is a common status with playing with magma and burning items, or interchangeable with !!items!!, but I see now it's not. "A Fire" is exclusive to grass, plants and trees. I was unable to create it with normal flammable items, unless they were next to grass. Something (like a rope) may be !!rope!! and in a tile with "A Fire", but may be !!rope" without "A Fire", and may be in "A Fire" without "!!". Characters clearly path around "A Fire", but it doesn't seem to make them much harm.

I'll make more experiments, but for now I'd say that this fire is not very dangerous. It can't set charcoal on fire (which needs equivalent of 800° to ignite), and barely sets wood on fire (wood need less than 300°C, while "A Fire" heats to about 400°C, depending on surroundings). When I change the specific heat of a log of wood to that of most organic materials (blood, skin, fat etc.), then that log of wood isn't even set on fire, and heats to a maximum of about 90°C when the fire wave goes through it. It travels too fast. Clothes have 10x smaller specific heat than live tissue, so they warm much faster. Only thing I don't understand is why cat's hair isn't set on fire, it has specific heat and ignition point the same as wood. Maybe it isn't modelled, or other tissues can act as heat sinks and cool it down.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2016, 05:44:04 pm »

Very well! I will perform experiments. You may be right though.

(And yet it melts...)
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2016, 06:39:09 pm »

I'll make more experiments, but for now I'd say that this fire is not very dangerous.

There does seem to be a disconnect here. I ran a test in the object arena:

1. Test chamber complete with roof and 100 test cats.
2. The dragon breathes fire at the sacrificial bobcat, setting the grass ablaze.
3. The fire spreads downwards, and the cats cower by the far wall to escape the flames.
4. When the fire reaches the wall, the cats are roasted, die from massive blood loss, and their corpses are incinerated.
5. Of 100 test cats, zero survived the flames (a mortality rate of 100%). I'd say that's plenty dangerous.

Have you made any modifications to the raws that could account for your less-than-lethal fires?

Plex

• Bay Watcher
  • Trapped in HFS, send toilet paper
    • View Profile
    • Welp
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2016, 12:05:36 am »

Poor cats ;-;

What would happen if you repeated the test with elephants instead of cats? Or with dwarves in armor?
I ain't gonna sign on the dotted line!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2016, 03:01:47 am »

I don't have any info on items, though I do know that wooden shields can block dragon fire.
Only dragonfire as a projectile. They should burst into flames if you stand in burning tiles.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2016, 10:46:14 am »

I think I know what's going on. I have uploaded the file with situation which baffled me:
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11952
so anyone can test if the cats survive or not. I would suggest changing a particular line in announcements.txt to
Code: [Select]
[CAVE_COLLAPSE:A_D:D_D] which will disable collapse spam from burning trees. The three cats wait for the fire chained at level 100.

During summer I was unable to successfully repeat the experiment, i.e. cats were dying. I was monitoring temperatures of their body parts. It seems they are even more resistant than tissues alone would be, because the temperature of body parts are calculated for a whole part, and effective specific heat is a sum of specific heats from all layers of the part, and some are counted multiple times, because they are deeper/thicker. For example, the teeth have the lowest total "specific heat", and they heat fastest. So during forest fire the body parts never actually achieve the temperature needed for ignition (or even for heat damage), because fire passes too quickly. However, they may be damaged, presumably because of low fat melting temperature (this temperature can be exceeded by temperature of a whole part and nothing bad happens, but only for a while). When they are damaged, it's upper body and head which go first, for some reason.

I was comparing achieved temperatures during winter (as in the save), and during summer. Summer temperatures are higher. If I'm right this is the difference between life and death for the cats. And also for the objects. In the save there is a wren remains near the North-Western cat.  It survives surrounding fire too, albeit badly damaged. To test it more, I'll have to wait for the next winter.

Lack of fuel, like clothes or dropped logs, helps in surviving, because otherwise they would act as an additional source of high temperature. But they don't create the "A Fire" status (projectile? Plasma?).

It is possible to save the summer cat by stopping bleeding. I used CheatEngine for that. There is no heat damage, unless you count molten fat.

I'll make more experiments, but for now I'd say that this fire is not very dangerous.

There does seem to be a disconnect here. I ran a test in the object arena:

1. Test chamber complete with roof and 100 test cats.
2. The dragon breathes fire at the sacrificial bobcat, setting the grass ablaze.
3. The fire spreads downwards, and the cats cower by the far wall to escape the flames.
4. When the fire reaches the wall, the cats are roasted, die from massive blood loss, and their corpses are incinerated.
5. Of 100 test cats, zero survived the flames (a mortality rate of 100%). I'd say that's plenty dangerous.

Have you made any modifications to the raws that could account for your less-than-lethal fires?

I haven't modified raws, except graphics. What is the ambient temperature? Is it possible to set it somehow in arena? Because my cats survive when the temperature is 9999-10000 Urists (and it was snowing recently, but I doubt it matters), but not when 10030. When the temperature is between, some may survive, some not. Or maybe the reason is completely different, but they apparently can survive under certain, naturally occurring circumstances.
Pages: 1 [2]