Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sort animals in "stocks" menu by species  (Read 856 times)

Ezekhiel2517

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sort animals in "stocks" menu by species
« on: April 20, 2016, 04:15:29 pm »

..and by sex. So when I´m dessignating some animals to be butchered I make sure that I´m always leaving at least a couple to breed
“Far, far below the deepest delvings of the dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Sort animals in "stocks" menu by species
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 04:33:53 pm »

Actually, what is MOST useful is the capacity to mark for butchery from the animal, itself, its cage, or its description page. For now, DF Hack allows you to use autobutcher and a rename function to prevent breeders from being butchered, but sending others to the butcher's.

Also, if you're using the current interface, the animals are sorted in (sometimes reverse) order of appearance on the map. This is sometimes inconsistent, which is a pain, but older animals (usually your breeders) will always be towards the top or bottom of the list.  (It's been a few months, so I forget which end is which on the butcher screen, but it should be fairly easy to figure out when you see a wave or two of puppies or poults instead of adult animals which end of the list you're on.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Ezekhiel2517

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 04:51:37 pm »

Actually, what is MOST useful is the capacity to mark for butchery from the animal, itself, its cage, or its description page. For now, DF Hack allows you to use autobutcher and a rename function to prevent breeders from being butchered, but sending others to the butcher's.

Also, if you're using the current interface, the animals are sorted in (sometimes reverse) order of appearance on the map. This is sometimes inconsistent, which is a pain, but older animals (usually your breeders) will always be towards the top or bottom of the list.  (It's been a few months, so I forget which end is which on the butcher screen, but it should be fairly easy to figure out when you see a wave or two of puppies or poults instead of adult animals which end of the list you're on.)
Ok, but none of that is very useful. Just by adding a "sort by" option this could be improved a lot. I´d love to open my animal stock list and see it organized and not having to navigate through several pages just to see how many cows and bulls (e.g.) I have left
“Far, far below the deepest delvings of the dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

Adam Mantine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 02:09:43 pm »

I think this would be a really useful addition to the interface. Sorting by string would be useful too.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 10:48:04 pm »

Ok, but none of that is very useful. Just by adding a "sort by" option this could be improved a lot. I´d love to open my animal stock list and see it organized and not having to navigate through several pages just to see how many cows and bulls (e.g.) I have left

I'd say it's very useful! Especially when you are trying to breed animals, the ability to slaughter from the same screen that shows you attributes would be an Armoksend.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!