Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marriage rules?  (Read 620 times)

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Marriage rules?
« on: May 01, 2016, 08:51:19 am »

New fortress; first immigrant wave; 2 married dwarves - one aged 64 and the other 82.  First time I've seen this in some three years of playing, and my understanding is this shouldn't be possible.  So,

- This is the first summer immigrant wave, does that allow breaking the rules?
- I'm supposing these are void dwarves as they have no relations other than who they showed up with (one had two children but no spouse).  Can void dwarves break the marriage rules?
- I know vampires can lie about their age, but I didn't think they showed up in the first year, or ever with their "spouse".  Could one of them be a vampire?

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage rules?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 09:02:33 am »

Ten year restriction only applies to fortress mode, so any migrants, "void" or not, can break it (just as anyone in worldgen).

And vampires can't marry, AFAIK. However, I can't say what happens if one of the already married spouses becomes a vampire.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 11:36:21 am »

- I've seen migrants (most likely void ones, but I haven't paid enough attention) of both genders without a spouse but with a child, so it does happen.
- As far as I understand, there is no pop limit for vampires to show up (I thought it was 50, but got one before that, asked, and was informed there's no limit). However, vampires are cursed during world gen or within the ongoing world, so logically, they should not be able to be void dwarves, but that's just my conclusion, not based on any actual knowledge. I believe I've heard vampires' official identity can be married, but the spouse is never present within the migration wave, nor is any relative present within the fortress (which means a kid or a spouse with them would rule a vampire out). This is second hand info, so take it with a grain of salt.

Thus, taking Sver's info into consideration:
The couple should be the ones who are definitely NOT vampires. It might be that the two first waves never contain vampires, but that's purely a guess.

A "spouse" of a vampire would have to be under the mental influence of the vampire to claim to be married to the vampire, which is a power DF vampires do not have. The other logical alternative would be that they're both vampires who have decided to hunt together, something I very strongly suspect is not supported by DF.

Screening all your migrants for tells or counter tells is a good practice.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 08:01:17 pm »

There have been married vampires! See Doomforests's "Dark One," the husband of a previously-immigrated vampire.

However, I am unsure whether the vampirewife became a vampire before or after the marriage.

Still, it is irrelevant - immigrated married dwarves can be vampires.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 10:03:47 am »

Vampires can't have additional children but they can get married
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com