Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hauling trains the strength of dwarfs (up to a point)  (Read 1413 times)

DeCervantes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hauling trains the strength of dwarfs (up to a point)
« on: May 10, 2016, 10:42:49 am »

So, we all face the problem of our masons becoming paralitic snails when picking materials. That's what stockpiles and wheelbarrows are for. However furniture also has to be hauled around and not always will our dear dorfs get stone from their stockpiles (or the stockpile replenish fast enough).
So how would it be if dwarfs slowed by hauling heavy items would train their strength, but only up to the point where their are no longer or barely slowed? It would definitely help bigger and older fortresses were some dwarfs are peasants just hauling objects nonstop.
Plus as a bonus we get the stereotypical muscular smiths and masons and the off chance that a fortress is saved when a random peasants punches a forgotten beast to death because he spends his day hauling lead barrels around.  :D

So what do you think?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 10:50:21 am by DeCervantes »

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Hauling training the streng of dwarfs (up to a point)
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 10:48:37 am »

This seems reasonable. I have known people working in physical trades who ended up much fitter. Really like the idea of work chiselled dwarves. Not sure if it'd fit in the game, but a long life of physical labour also often leads to damage of kinds dependant on the trade; War wounds for non-soldiers.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

DeCervantes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hauling trains the strength of dwarfs (up to a point)
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 10:55:20 am »

I know there was something like this in the game in previous versions. But it affected all activities and lead to every random fish in a river training their physical attributes all the time because they were swimming all the time so when a dwarf when fishing he would get destroyed by a carp. It was one of funnier parts of the game, apparently.
Now it seems to be tied to specific jobs but hauling doesn't train physical attributes.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 10:57:03 am by DeCervantes »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 11:11:23 am »

Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Adam Mantine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 03:34:21 pm »

It definitely makes sense to me for hauling to train strength (and possibly also spatial sense to a much lesser degree)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 05:52:24 pm »

Uh, guys? 

I'm pretty sure Toady already DID include the training of a few attributes, including strength, agility, and endurance, when someone hauls.

For that matter, how much a dwarf is slowed down is also already based upon strength, endurance, and general size.

And if you look, your dwarves DO get pretty buff after a long, long while of playing.  (The "average" dwarf is 60kg, but almost all of mine are always 85-90kg, and are either chiseled with muscles or ludicrously obese...)

I'm pretty sure everything in this thread already exists.

I know there was something like this in the game in previous versions. But it affected all activities and lead to every random fish in a river training their physical attributes all the time because they were swimming all the time so when a dwarf when fishing he would get destroyed by a carp. It was one of funnier parts of the game, apparently.
Now it seems to be tied to specific jobs but hauling doesn't train physical attributes.

That's something completely different.  Swimming was (and still is) a skill, so fish would be "training" all the time just by existing, and inevitably have insane stats after a while. It was changed so that aquatic creatures have swimming innately, rather than as a skill, and they no longer gain strength through swimming.  That has nothing to do with hauling.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 07:08:34 pm »

While some jobs do train attributes I am under the impression that hauling never has. At least in my experience they never seem to get faster hauling ores around if that's all they do. Back in 0.28/40d players would use manual pumps to train their civilians (though there were only three attributes then).
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

DeCervantes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 10:36:39 am »

I posted this suggestions because I had the impression from reading around that hauling didn't train the attributes. Sorry if I had missed it.

Some jobs do train strength, thats why people build the famous dwarfen gyms. I think mining also trains strength. Thats why I was suggesting hauling to do something similar but limited to the point they are no longer slowed. I think it would be negative for the game (although fun for a while) if everyone was superdwarfenly strong from hauling wood or cloth around.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 10:51:36 pm »

Manual pumps are now nigh-useless, worse than just drafting them.

IIRC, hauling does nothing to attributes.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

granak1031

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 09:09:21 pm »

PTW.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 05:46:12 am »

If hauling does not currently train one or more stats, then I agree that it definitely should - at least to some degree. And, perhaps as Bumber pointed out, this would be best accomplished by making Hauling a skill. (BTW: I find it interesting that this was suggested way back in 2007...)