Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buff Bone and Leather Armor  (Read 1188 times)

Gotham123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Buff Bone and Leather Armor
« on: February 15, 2016, 07:19:16 pm »

because I want to watch badass cavedorf's wielding obsidian swords and wearing Cat Bone/Leather Armor beating the shizalonker's out of other chickens who hide behind their "Steel" and "Iron" Armor.

Gotham123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Buff Bone and Leather Armor
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 07:30:40 pm »

PS: Not like, super-over-powered buff. like a small buff, like. a full set of bone and leather armor would be slightly better than copper

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 07:35:42 pm »

Well by the way materials work, if you make bone stronger, that'll make it harder to break bones in living things too. Leather is separate to skin though so that wouldn't necessarily affect normal combat.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Gotham123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 07:40:14 pm »

True, but heres the thing, whats stronger?. a dwarf with copper bones and leathery skin. or a dwarf wearing bones and leather, with copper bones and leathery skin, it's double the awesome!.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 07:28:59 pm »

Umm. It's possible to mod in, and it's not realistic. So no, I don't think this should be added, unless you can provide statistics on the values (shear, strength, blah) of bone and leather, and I think that's already being done somewhere.

(Also, you can edit your posts. No need to doublepost just to add a sentence to your statement.)
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 01:59:18 am »

Leather armor, as it commonly occurs in games, is part original D&D/part 1950s(?) Hollywood invention.

In early time periods, the closest thing to real leather armor was lamellar. Though there was some folklore about a Viking wearing many reindeer hides, that's more mythic than anything else.

What a Viking would have preferred which was likely mail.

But that all being said, if your aesthetic preference is toward bone and leather, you can try modding the coverage size and layer size in the raws, making leather armor much stranger.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 02:01:59 am by peasant cretin »

DeCervantes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 08:01:25 am »

Just going to revive this because it got important after the last armor overhaul.

I think leather clothes should be regarded more like sturdy clothes rather than armor, sort of way bikers tend to wear leather clothes because they actually hold bruises quite well (apart from looking stylish).

Also not only leather, but actually cloth in general is more sturdy than we tend to think. The most common armor during the Middle Ages , was the cloth armor (as in thick clothes), which eventually evolved into the gambeson https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambeson , which was basically a very thick coat. You have to keep in mind how much work and money needs to be put into metal armor and the fact that centralized empires and kingdoms  weren't really a thing during most of the Middle Ages. We still have the idea (probably due to movies and videogames) that normal clothing offers the same protection as being naked.

In reality cloth is not easy to cut without a really sharp edge AND sawing movements and layered cloth can absorb impacts quite well. 

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 08:28:30 am »

Leather armor, as it commonly occurs in games, is part original D&D/part 1950s(?) Hollywood invention.

Nope :P I did actual research and yep Leather armor was a real thing.

TYPICALLY most leather armor is close to the dungeon and dragon's "Hide Armor" and was popular in places where thick hide was available (as that is where Leather armor could be used). So East Asia for example was a place where leather armor was popular.

Likewise leather armor pieces were used extensively in addition to other pieces of armor.

Other materials used for armor: Cloth, Bones, Wood, and Silk.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 10:03:56 am »

Kestrel skulls (birds with remarkably thick skulls) came up in another aptly named thread.

kestrel-skull armor (authored by - Uzu Bash - January 26, 2016)

I wouldn't expect to have to write up new material raws for every differentiation of variable bone but to have additional tags such as [BONE/BARRED *for shells/beaks too* _DENSITY:(1 - 100)][IS_BONE] etc would be very effective in attaching tags to body plans without ripping and redefining every rib as well as not screwing with templates

kestrel skull for instance could be very tough with the [BARRED DENSITY:90 *how compactly thick the outer bone material is*][SOLID DENSITY:*a number variable in general] etc. while the rest of the bones could be [HOLLOW *leading to exclusive total collapse once the barred density material is breached][DENSE *unmovably solid, impractical for holding organs like a brain*][INORGANIC:MATERIAL *literally glass bones/bone substitute etc]

The list goes on.