Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1001 1002 [1003] 1004 1005 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1317160 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #15030 on: December 04, 2016, 11:44:40 pm »

I prefer not to believe or disbelieve things until I see evidence one way or the other.

That's kinda my point.
That's not a logical way of looking at things. Most things that could happen don't happen. The default burden of proof is therefore always going to be on the existence of a thing, not its negation. If there's no proof that a pizza company was providing child sex slaves to the Obama administration, and there's no proof that they weren't providing child sex slaves to the Obama administration, then the correct conclusion is that they weren't providing child sex slaves to the Obama administration much in the same way that Vladimir Putin isn't Barrack Obama's secret gay lover though there is no proof one way or another. Only in the provision of evidence does this come into doubt.

Same thing with the whole Planned Parenthood selling baby parts, there was no proof of any kind of transactions of organic material, yet people believed it regardless.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #15031 on: December 04, 2016, 11:47:42 pm »

I prefer not to believe or disbelieve things until I see evidence one way or the other.

That's kinda my point.
That's not a logical way of looking at things. Most things that could happen don't happen. The default burden of proof is therefore always going to be on the existence of a thing, not its negation. If there's no proof that a pizza company was providing child sex slaves to the Obama administration, and there's no proof that they weren't providing child sex slaves to the Obama administration, then the correct conclusion is that they weren't providing child sex slaves to the Obama administration much in the same way that Vladimir Putin isn't Barrack Obama's secret gay lover though there is no proof one way or another. Only in the provision of evidence does this come into doubt.

Same thing with the whole Planned Parenthood selling baby parts, there was no proof of any kind of transactions of organic material, yet people believed it regardless.
...because it made sense to those people! Of course PP would do that, that's just the sort of thing they'd do, those evil baby-killers, et cetera.

Which proves my point - unsurprising news merely provides a facade of legitimacy to already-held beliefs. (Actually I don't remember making such a point before, but now I have - so there)
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15032 on: December 04, 2016, 11:49:10 pm »

That's kinda my point.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" - Cthulhu, probably
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15033 on: December 04, 2016, 11:52:35 pm »

That's kinda my point.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" - Sherlock Holmes

FIFY. Though I don't think there's any specific person the quote is attributed to, just a general common sense statement.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15034 on: December 04, 2016, 11:54:43 pm »

That's kinda my point.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" - Sherlock Holmes

FIFY. Though I don't think there's any specific person the quote is attributed to, just a general common sense statement.

Carl Sagan, usually.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15035 on: December 05, 2016, 12:04:42 am »

Definitely more plausible post-Brit government pedophile sex slavery ring, anyways.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15036 on: December 05, 2016, 12:04:49 am »

Of course it's logical. There's a difference between 'I have no reason to think X' and 'I think X is false'. Merkel could have a secret love-child with Tony Blair who lives in the Arctic Circle and plays the harmonica. Sure, she probably doesn't, but if you were to tell me she does, and I say 'No. She does not.' - what am I countering you with? Without providing evidence, even if it's just 'MSH makes up spurious bullshit all the time', then my assertion holds no more weight than yours.
What is asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. That includes standards of what may be considered evidence, instead of conjecture and spurious bullshit. Pizzagate's attempt at evidence is "hey, if you take all the adjectives in this email that say pizza and instead pretend they mean child rape, everybody in the Obama administration is a child rapist". That's no more evidence than "hey, if I pretend Covenant is a paid shill for the Trump campaign, which is a thing that some people are, then their participation in this thread is just to maliciously disrupt us and our criticisms".
If CNN are going to take it upon themselves to decry the claims as fake, the onus is then on them to provide evidence. Otherwise, let the claims stand on their own merits or lack-thereof.
Emphasis on the lack-thereof.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15037 on: December 05, 2016, 12:05:34 am »

The onus should be on the article stating the claims.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #15038 on: December 05, 2016, 12:57:27 am »

Can we jump right to the solipsism and work our way back to policy from there?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15039 on: December 05, 2016, 01:01:21 am »

Can we jump right to the solipsism and work our way back to policy from there?

Quote from: Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled.
But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any
particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in
a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events
of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose
meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

^        -- Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
^           Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
^           TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Luke_The_Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • I have returned
    • View Profile
« Reply #15040 on: December 05, 2016, 01:04:22 am »

Can we at least agree that, REGARDLESS of belief and where the burden of proof lies, that the action itself was inappropriate?
"Make them supper!" "ALIEN BEANS"

Luke_The_Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • I have returned
    • View Profile
« Reply #15041 on: December 05, 2016, 01:14:04 am »

Well that's not fair to say. After all, I've never had a Chicago deep dish I hated. I also never had a Chicago deep dish. :V
"Make them supper!" "ALIEN BEANS"

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15042 on: December 05, 2016, 01:16:28 am »

But he didn't point the gun at the pizzas.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #15043 on: December 05, 2016, 01:24:35 am »

That's kinda my point.

HOLY SHIT you weren't providing a sarcastic example, that's an actual conspiracy theory. And people believe it.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15044 on: December 05, 2016, 01:27:33 am »

Can we at least agree that, REGARDLESS of belief and where the burden of proof lies, that the action itself was inappropriate?

Sure. Wait. Wayne LaPierre might disagree.
Pages: 1 ... 1001 1002 [1003] 1004 1005 ... 1249