Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 91

Author Topic: Gender/sexuality etc. - What Even Is A Gender Anyway  (Read 132097 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Gender/sexuality etc. - The dark hammer has fallen upon us!
« Reply #525 on: October 20, 2016, 09:05:11 pm »

Yeah I don't get the problem really...  Hitting on people isn't a problem if you stop when rebuffed (well and other stuff like not being at work, etc).  Sounds like he found some lesbians who weren't 100% homo, which makes sense to me.  I mean heck, lots of girls try "being lesbian".  Which I think is cool, people should be open minded and figure out what they actually like.

I don't even believe in 100% homo or hetero sexuality.  Certainly could be real, I just have doubts.  Maybe people are attracted to certain traits, and they get used to finding those traits in one of the two genders (cuz that's what you're supposed to do, right?)

But I'm probably waaaay projecting my own experience on other people, there :P

woop new replies
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: October 20, 2016, 09:07:31 pm »

Because here is the thing and I know it is a hard one to grasp but...

Sexual attraction is not "I am entirely not attracted to you 100%" and "You are viable for sexy times"

It is entirely possible, in fact... usually the case... That you are sexually attracted to someone but sexually repulsed on the prospect and act of having sex with them.

It is why I said "Sexual attraction is a lot like a sense"... It isn't a boning meter.

Which is where Cat is getting caught up. He is conflating attraction with Sex-ability where the inference is the only reason they don't sex him is because they are staunchly holding onto their perceived sexual orientation.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 09:09:39 pm by Neonivek »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: October 20, 2016, 09:08:28 pm »

It is entirely possible, in fact... usually the case... That you are sexually attracted to someone but sexually repulsed on the prospect and act of having sex with them.

... Not sure I would call that sexual attraction.

EDIT: In fact, that sounds a lot like what is widely referred to as "friendship" or "platonic love".

EDITEDIT: Also, I'm not saying sexual attraction is a "boning meter" as you say, but the whole point of classifying it as sexual is that is... well, sexual.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 09:10:39 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: October 20, 2016, 09:11:01 pm »

... Not sure I would call that sexual attraction.

EDIT: In fact, that sounds a lot like what is widely referred to as "friendship" or "platonic love".

No... I am using Sexual attraction to mean sexual attraction.

Just because someone is sexually attracted to you... it doesn't mean they want to have sex with you.

It doesn't mean that they are holding themselves back...

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: October 20, 2016, 09:13:59 pm »

Bro. I feel like you are really going back on what you're saying here.

EDIT in response to your edit: OKAY. I think it's commonly understood we don't spend most of our time consciously restraining ourselves from raping the people around us who find attractive, but if you're SEXUALLY ATTRACTED TO SOMEONE, then, BY DEFINITION, you would like to engage in some form of sexually gratifying activity with them.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 09:15:40 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: October 20, 2016, 09:14:34 pm »

Because here is the thing and I know it is a hard one to grasp but...

Sexual attraction is not "I am entirely not attracted to you 100%" and "You are viable for sexy times"

It is why I said "Sexual attraction is a lot like a sense"... It isn't a boning meter.

Which is where Cat is getting caught up. He is conflating attraction with Sex-ability where the inference is the only reason they don't sex him is because they are staunchly holding onto their perceived sexual orientation.

I don't think I am....

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: October 20, 2016, 09:15:27 pm »

Do you mean like, being ashamed of being attracted to someone?
Because yeah, that's a thing...  Being attracted to someone and sickened by that...

That's definitely sexual attraction though, just with unfortunate social bullshit or whatever
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: October 20, 2016, 09:17:34 pm »

I get where you are coming from Neon though dont confuse me for a sleazy person. If anyone rejects my flirting then I happily move along.
Im just saying that I think most people are Bi, like myself
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: October 20, 2016, 09:19:10 pm »

I guess I'm quite confused by what you're trying to say here (Neonivek.) You have a sexual orientation. It's the standard by which you measure your sexual attraction to someone. There is no uniformly defined way to measure "sex-ability"? Because that is affected by your orientation.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: October 20, 2016, 09:23:32 pm »

Okay, what I don't understand is how are you going to infer someones sexual orientation based on simple deductions and not actually..well, proving it? Am I right or am I wrong when I say actions speak louder than words and such?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #535 on: October 20, 2016, 09:45:43 pm »

What IS sexual attraction anyway?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: October 20, 2016, 09:48:09 pm »

"Sexual attraction is attraction on the basis of sexual desire or the quality of arousing such interest.[1][2] Sexual attractiveness or sex appeal is an individual's ability to attract the sexual or erotic interest of another person, and is a factor in sexual selection or mate choice. The attraction can be to the physical or other qualities or traits of a person, or to such qualities in the context in which they appear. The attraction may be to a person's aesthetics or movements or to their voice or smell, besides other factors. The attraction may be enhanced by a person's adornments, clothing, perfume or style. It can also be influenced by individual genetic, psychological, or cultural factors, or to other, more amorphous qualities of the person. Sexual attraction is also a response to another person that depends on a combination of the person possessing the traits and also on the criteria of the person who is attracted.

Though attempts have been made to devise objective criteria of sexual attractiveness, and measure it as one of several bodily forms of capital asset (see erotic capital), a person's sexual attractiveness is to a large extent a subjective measure dependent on another person's interest, perception, and sexual orientation." -- Quoth Wikipedia

EDIT: I think that sums it up surprisingly well.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: October 20, 2016, 10:34:21 pm »

Woah, I come back after a signal 4 storm and stuff happened ._.
Glad to see people being reasonable :D

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: October 20, 2016, 10:35:26 pm »

You, uh, missed the crazy guy.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: October 20, 2016, 10:38:30 pm »

You, uh, missed the crazy guy.
If you mean someone who is somehow now renamed for some reason, I did respond to him. It got deleted in the derail :P
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 91