Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 91

Author Topic: Gender/sexuality etc. - What Even Is A Gender Anyway  (Read 132064 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

Discussing MLP itself is taboo due to certain things those discussions devolve towards IIRC, not things related to it.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile

Well, that was my first perception after reading various things, but thanks for the warning. I'll make sure not to mention it again. (I thought it was only MLP and NMS that were banned... is there a list somewhere, or do you just learn it?)
No there isn't any single list of banned topics as far as I know it, but I don't think there are any more things that are banned, outside of the usual ToS/Forum Guidelines ruleset.
._.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

I'm pretty sure Toady didn't even ban gamergate discussion, most people just decided to stop talking about it after the third or fourth ban.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Discussing MLP itself is taboo due to certain things those discussions devolve towards IIRC, not things related to it.
I'm pretty sure Toady didn't even ban gamergate discussion, most people just decided to stop talking about it after the third or fourth ban.
This seems to be.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile

It's the same with most other similar topics, in that while threads that focus on said topic aren't really allowed it's generally permissible to bring the topics up as a brief point as long as the discussion doesn't veer into that territory too seriously or for too long (or with the intention to sidestep the moratorium on the creation of threads based solely around that topic). For example, MLP has been brought up and briefly discussed in the western animation thread a handful of times since the end of the last MLP thread without any penalties being brought to bear that I know of, and things like gamergate or other similar issues have resurfaced as one-off parallels or potential references to situations in a handful of other places as long as the mentions were shorter and weren't the main focus of the discussion. (Of course, individual OP's can go farther and set up rules for their threads if they want to).

It's like using matches; as long as you are very careful and responsible you can light up some of the other discussion in a new way, but go a step to far and your discussion will go up in the pyre of bans and wasted time.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile

Its not that the topics themselves are banned, its just people can't seem to keep their respective e-peens in their pants once those discussions start, to the point said discussions become more about forumite prima vs forumite secunda than the actual subject. You can't even mention gamergate without someone starting a banter on misoginy. The fact we managed to keep a gender discussion without the respective snowflake crowds clashing is in itself quite surprising. It got to the point people just dropped the subject because the threads were becoming careless forumite slaughterhouses.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 07:15:32 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test

eyy

no using the word "snowflake"

Besides that, it is indeed amazing that this thread has only had one victim.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile

Snowfluke
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test

Ice-crystal-shape-fall-sky
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile

To get slightly less meta, I found this an interesting read.
Concerning gender identity and how to respond to your child.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile

ok

special snowfl*kes are now unique sleetsheets

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test

I don't like the "special snowflake" label because

1. It's a label, and these are people trying to rebel against labels by making their own labels, we don't need more of this.

2. How do you know that they aren't actually demigirls?

3. Even if they aren't, at least try to be decent.

4. Is it worth it to "be right"? What harm is there in humoring people?

Also, we should tolerate people even if we disagree with them, this is basically what I learned in the beginning of the thread. Tolerating people includes not labeling them as weird just because they do something different.

Of course I could just be tilting at windmills here.
Sigtext!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile

Labeling someone isn't really the same as not tolerating them. :/

I mean, I use it more for people who are all 'I was a unicorn in a previous life' or some shit like that. I'm not going to talk to them like that, but special snowflake is useful shorthand for 'people who either knowingly or unknowingly have come up with some unnecessary reason to explain why they're unique and different from all the other seven billion unique and different people in the world and therefore why people should give them lots and lots of attention'.

Just like I use 'queer' as shorthand for 'whatever else I didn't cover in the first four letters cuz fuck making this acronym any longer for the purpose of further splitting the LGBTQ community into subfactions'
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile

But we all know that the Ork is the best LGBT subfaction.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test

What the hell?
“They can have a gay flag or they can have a parade but we can’t have a shirt?” Yan Miller said.
Yeah, because "gay flags" and "gay parades" involve death threats.

Spoiler: good point (click to show/hide)

Labeling someone isn't really the same as not tolerating them. :/
Oh, labels are great. I have no problem with using a sequence of sound compression and rarefaction waves to symbolize a concept. "Special snowflake" isn't just a label, though. It's disapproving. It's...
I mean, I use it more for people who are all 'I was a unicorn in a previous life' or some shit like that.
Ohh. You mean people who seriously say "I sexually identify as an Apache helicopter"? Yeah, carry on, that's just obnoxious.

I'm not going to talk to them like that, but special snowflake is useful shorthand for 'people who either knowingly or unknowingly have come up with some unnecessary reason to explain why they're unique and different from all the other seven billion unique and different people in the world and therefore why people should give them lots and lots of attention'.
I've heard it used to refer to anybody who doesn't exactly fall on the Masculine-Feminine spectrum, including things like genderfluid, which is why I wanted to avoid its use. (I may or may not be genderfluid, but that wouldn't affect my decision anyway.) But if people can restrict its use to the ridiculous ones like
Angeligender– A gender found only among angels, that is hard to describe to non-angels. For godkin and angelkin only.
and
Genderflora– A gender that blooms and evolves based on the weather and atmosphere; similar to genderfluid but more plant-like.
and not
Ambonec– Identifying as both man and woman, yet neither at the same time.
Because sometimes people try to explain how they feel and it just sounds like deepity and it makes no sense and insulting them for that is just not okay, that's why. Basically err on the side of not labeling someone's sincere feelings as fake or intentionally obnoxious.

But really I can't imagine this being much of a problem with people here, so *still tilting at windmills*

Just like I use 'queer' as shorthand for 'whatever else I didn't cover in the first four letters cuz fuck making this acronym any longer for the purpose of further splitting the LGBTQ community into subfactions'
Well, that's different - queer doesn't carry a negative connotation.

But we all know that the Ork is the best LGBT subfaction.
Omnisexual? Or do you mean that Ork is literally a sexuality or gender?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 05:46:01 am by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 91