Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Update 1.22 - Tons more graphics... Plants, Demons/Fbs/Titans, Vermin...  (Read 6584 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

::: LINUX ::: ||| ::: MAC :::
::: Current version: V.1.22 - Updated 18th Nov 2016 - For DF.43.03 :::
::: The MDF GUI requires Microsofts .NET-Framework 4.0 :::
::: Changelogs: V1.01 ::: V1.02 ::: V1.03 ::: V1.04 ::: V1.05 ::: V1.06 ::: V1.07 ::: V1.08 ::: 1.09 ::: 1.10 ::: 1.11 ::: 1.12 ::: 1.13 ::: 1.14 ::: 1.15 ::: 1.16:::

::: If you like the content I produce and enjoy playing Masterwork, consider supporting it on Patreon. :::
::: It allows me to do regular updates and add more content more quickly. :::

New Update - V1.22

Notes: More graphic fixes and new sprites. In case you have not been checking the tileset forum, I've been working more and more on that massive 32x tileset. I finished over 200 creature sprites, fixed all the issues that have been reported, and just now made procedual graphics for demons, titans, nightcreatures and FBs.

Thanks to Milo Christiansens season-palette script, the colors (hue) ingame will change depending on the current season. You can disable this feature by opening the dfhack.init and deleting the line "season-palette start" at the very top.

(This screenshot is an early test. The effect is not that strong ingame.)

I also made sprites for all plants. Which is a lot. Even blooming grasses now show some flowers. :)

Plants:

Demons, FBs, Nightcreatures and Titans:

PROCEDUAL CREATURES - 780 X 4!

Procedual creatures now use a random sprite from a selection of 780 iterations. These will NOT(!) fit their ingame description, but at least not all demons or all FBs look the same.

I added small letters at the lower left corner (D, T, FB and N) to ease the identification.

Spoiler: titans (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: demons (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: nightcreatures (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: forgotten beasts (click to show/hide)

PLANTS!

- Added plants. All of them.
 - Added plant growths. All of them.

Spoiler: Plants ingame (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Plant Legend (click to show/hide)

TWEAKS AND FIXES!

- Fixed bins.
 - Fixed constructed bee hives.
 - Fixed trap stops.
 - Fixed eggs in nestboxes. (well... while testing I noticed that boulders now look like eggs. Guess it can be only one: Either eggs look like boulders in the nestbox, or boulders look like eggs while being carried around.)
 - Fixed build bookcases. (kinda. They at least show something, but TWBT doesnt allow them to be overwritten?)
 - Fixed "children playing make-believe", added animation.

- Made stockpiles brighter.
 - Made water/magma brighter.
 - Made rocks/inorganics brighter.
 - Made surface grass slightly brighter.
 - Made ramps a lot clearer.

- Added 3 new tiles for smoke.
 - Added new tile for trapparts/mechanism. Look like 3 interlocking gears now.

- Fixed digging designation numbers. (appeared as solid black tiles)
 - Fixed furniture designations. (appeared as solid black tiles)
 - Fixed "Sleeping Indicator", shows sign with Zzz... instead of just a normal letter.

VERMIN-TIDE!

- Added 37 new graphics for vermin.
 - Added several animated creatures. Small fish breathe/swim; small birds flap their wings; worms wiggle; rats run... and dogs wag their tails. :)

- Added 3 new tiles mined rocks, which creates a sorta-animation for mining.

Future plans: Well, I'm still working on graphics... creature count is higher than I anticipated and the animal-men are really slowing me down a notch. There is also the idea of more decorative buildings.

I'm aware that the modded workshops currently look a bit odd, because they are still designed to be used with the Phoebus set, so thats another construction site... who would have guessed that tilesets are that much work? ^^

Patreon: No new Patrons this week, for 6 weeks in a row. Guess I topped out (?).

Cheers,
Meph
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 10:34:00 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
Re: Update 1.22 - Tons more graphics... Plants, Demons/Fbs/Titans, Vermin...
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 11:54:13 am »

ptw
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

zakhad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 03:18:28 pm »

First time playing with the new tileset, I've a couple of reports in my findings, (Please don't take this with any hostility these are just my findings/opinion) It is my hope that I can improve this tileset with feedback.

Fortress mode.

1. I find it quite hard to know where I've designated plants to be gathered as there is no inverted tiles. You may simply have not got that far yet, but its quite an important one as I could designate across a river accidentally but I won't notice until its too late, when my dwarf drowns walking to the edge of the map to cross the "shallow" bit or runs into hostile wild creature whom think dwarves make tasty appetisers, fun but annoying :P)

2. Traffic designations are using the wrong icons High uses some form of small plant, while low uses a bee/mosquito, the Restricted designation works fine with a big R

3. The embarking screen is very hard to navigate I find that a lot of icons blend in when I was using it. It's like "Oh this looks pretty" until embark no. 54 and you're like where are the humans!?. Why can't I find any elves!. Civilisation icons for example should be very clear and apparent.

4. Dolomite walls look like they have gems inside them very confusing.

5. The Green Jade clusters are missing an icon or are gems not finished? It just looks like a regular tile that's been coloured green.

6. The cursor icon should still look like an X as in X marks the spot do a fancy X if you want art but please keep it an X It looks horridly out of place using a wheel from a ship that belongs in a sailing game.

7. Ores should look like veins of ore not scattering little dots that should be used for gems, it needs to be distinguishable between the two http://i.imgur.com/1aNdyHy.jpg terrafirmacraft a minecraft overhaul mod is a very good source of how it uses ores vein styles of ore blocks

8. Hunger/Thirst icons should look have a water drop/meat shank icon or something more distinguishable than blue/brown text bubbles which makes me think they're talking agreeably/arguably to each other

9. Sand walls need to look different than sand floors, I can't tell which is which.

10. Blaze vulture looks like a dog

Generally speaking the tileset is very much playable, the seasons really aren't as drastic as that screenshot shows, they're reasonably subtle which adds to the game.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 03:42:33 pm by zakhad »
LP'er

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 03:43:35 pm »

1. Got it, plant transparency.
2. Crap. I'll have to alter the high/low traffic designations. They use letters, which I replaced.
3. I dont agree entirely, but I can make forest retreats more visible... those really do blend in, by design.
4. I'll check the inorganics again.
5. I'll check the gems, but gems really should be fine (?).
6. Its a map compass, not a wheel. ;)
7. Ores use the same dots as Phoebus ores, I used them as placeholders, till I make my own.
8. Randomly-generated creature... not much that I can do about that. :/

Thanks a lot for the report :) Those really help.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

zakhad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 04:22:01 pm »

11. Pears are using the wrong icon, some kind of wall.

12. Crayfish are using red hue dwarf icon (Dead?)

13. Smoothing stone floor gives a picture of a dwarf, smoothing stone walls looks like some odd texture glitch of engraved (Designated icons)

*I edit these as I go*
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 05:05:39 pm by zakhad »
LP'er

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 04:36:53 pm »

You took those megabeasts from DC:SS, didn't you? :P
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

antropia

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 04:49:17 pm »

Russian translation: Google Docs

zakhad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 05:06:48 pm »

Am I the only one getting these odd texture glitches these seem way more than normal like it was compiled incorrectly or something.
LP'er

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 05:08:40 pm »

You took those megabeasts from DC:SS, didn't you? :P
No. I took the body-parts of the titans, demons, forgotten beasts and nightcreatures from the same source that DC:SS took them. :P

Am I the only one getting these odd texture glitches these seem way more than normal like it was compiled incorrectly or something.
?

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 05:09:43 pm »

they kinda look like the monsters from dungeon crawl stone soup  :o
edit: ninjad, what is that source?
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

windalu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 08:30:56 am »

I have encountered 2 issues with the new release/tileset..
1. succubus character icons look like slugs
2. DF automaticaly sets the new tileset even when I change to Phoebus in the launcher. When DF launches, it has the correct (Phoebus) graphics for about 1 second and the switches to the new "slug-succubus" graphics. This is I think the first time I have actualy seen DF change graphics while running.

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 09:42:43 am »

How can we update a 1.21 game with the graphic fixes?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2016, 09:46:36 am »

Strange... yes, the graphics_succubus.txt is missing, but I clearly remember writing it. The strange thing is that I cant even find it anywhere on my machine. O.o

Hamek McEisenfaust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 06:59:18 am »

Good Day Meph, overlord of the pixellated. I have started using minecarts and stops to make quantum stockpiles, and have noticed that they are all black boxes. These are mastercraft rough wooden minecarts, on a microcline block trackstop. Please do not harm me if this is posted to the wrong area.

http://imgur.com/8fksKlH
"here's 7 inebriated borderline psychotic bastards, go dig out a living space for 200 of them that will be coming soon btw there's also a terrible tentacle monster-panda made out of barf to deal with have fun" -PsychicKid

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2016, 07:15:26 am »

AHA! Minecarts use inverted tiles too. Easy fix. Thank you. :)
Pages: [1] 2