Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange Magical Instruments  (Read 1918 times)

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
Strange Magical Instruments
« on: April 02, 2016, 11:18:21 pm »

I was looking to buy some instruments from the elves and found some called 'emudi's.

However, when I looked at the price, two of them were ridiculously expensive

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I went to inspect their components confused as to why elves would make such an expensive instrument and found this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What the hell is liquid darkness and flaming sparks. And how did these elves get ahold of it?!

Can someone explain or have you had a similar experience? I'm really confused.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Strange Magical Instruments
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 11:19:31 pm »

Yep. It's a known "feature".

I think it has something to do with them having access to divine cloth, either by living on top of vaults, by vaults, or because a default got wonky.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 11:32:27 pm »

This isn't directed at King Kitteh, but this seems a good place to wonder why there isn't an FAQ on the forums. What with all the threads devoted to divine harp-strings, naturalized goblins, and the like, there's definitely a vacuum.

I'd put one together myself, but I have neither the energy nor the knowledge to maintain it.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 11:34:26 pm »

Oh okay, that's still weird though :/

I looked at some of their other emudis and they also seem to have ones with forgotten beast string...

Not sure how they encountered a forgotten beast when they live in forests.

I haz no No Names

• Bay Watcher
  • *Former*BS12 Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 02:47:55 am »

Oh okay, that's still weird though :/

I looked at some of their other emudis and they also seem to have ones with forgotten beast string...

Not sure how they encountered a forgotten beast when they live in forests.
Invaded and took over a Dwarven settlement?
沉舟侧畔千帆过,病树前头万木春。
-A sunken ship has had over a thousand (many) sails go past it, a sick (dead) tree has thousands of trees blossoming in front of it.

Kumquat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 07:56:27 am »

I think that the instrument generator dictated leather-type material to be used there.

However elves don't do leather. So what's the universal substitute for leather? Adamantine. You can make adamantine quivers, after all.

And divine cloth is pretty much the same as adamantine, so it also qualifies as "leather." You don't see it with human-made or dwarf-made stuff since the probability of randomly choosing divine material from list that contains all the hundreds of legitimate leather materials in addition to the half dozen or so divine stuffs.

Similar thing happens with silk. Silk is an animal product so elfs won't use it normally. However FBs and demons don't really count as animals, so FB silk isn't an animal product, which means elfs can use it for their instruments.

(After all, if your dwarf civ doesn't have iron, you can still buy steel anvils.)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 09:54:39 am »

I think that the instrument generator dictated leather-type material to be used there.

However elves don't do leather. So what's the universal substitute for leather? Adamantine. You can make adamantine quivers, after all.

And divine cloth is pretty much the same as adamantine, so it also qualifies as "leather." You don't see it with human-made or dwarf-made stuff since the probability of randomly choosing divine material from list that contains all the hundreds of legitimate leather materials in addition to the half dozen or so divine stuffs.

Similar thing happens with silk. Silk is an animal product so elfs won't use it normally. However FBs and demons don't really count as animals, so FB silk isn't an animal product, which means elfs can use it for their instruments.

(After all, if your dwarf civ doesn't have iron, you can still buy steel anvils.)

Civs are coded to only make things out of materials they actually have access to somehow. df talks talk about how Civs use materials) So they have access somehow eg it isn't just random.

Extra:
I know you weren't talking about this, but Towns aren't random either and neither are trade goods df simulates trade which results in towns (and other sites) specializing in materials they produce which results in more of a specific profession in certain villages and all of this is taken into account with trade goods aswell. Which is Why you sometimes end up with a massive amount of one kind of shop/market stall in some places. It is also why merchants can yell at you in adventure mode about how there stuff is from "somevillage".

Also divine cloth is defined as silk not leather.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 10:03:31 am by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Kumquat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 02:40:03 pm »

Yes, civs have materials but the individual instruments procured by caravans are randomly chosen from what the civ has access to. The divine stuff could be even the second-attempt list, after civ's primary list comes up empty.

And I guess that if a civ has a connection to the caverns it has a connection to all the caverns and thus it has access to all FB and divine materials which exist in the underground. Underground regions are not very well defined or fleshed out in the world gen after all. It could be even broader, encompassing all underground regions overlapping a civ's trade partners.

Also, yes, divine cloth is also silk. It goes to the same material pool as FB webs. However elf instruments sometimes contain parts made of divine metals, too, which are the only metals that exist without needing to be smelted. (I have seen a drum-type instrument made of grown wood and 'booming metal'. It was amusing.)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 07:21:35 pm »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

SOMEONE IS WRONG ON THE INTERNET

ETYMOLOGY MAN SAVES TEH DAY

-------

No no no no. Secondary and primary lists: nonexistent. Connection to all caverns from one: no. Dorf civs only have access to one cavern level, and that only means they have access to animal/plant stuff from that cavern.

I'm not sure how the elves got their divine cloth, but that whole "leather is like adamantine, adamantine is like divine cloth" thing is just wrong. And "needing to be smelted" - no. They don't have access to metals, period. That's a raw thing, a tag that says [uses_metal_weapons] and whatnot.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 12:47:18 pm »

Sorry to necro, but why would you buy instruments from elves? Only thing good about trading with elves is the animals you can get.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 07:01:38 pm »

a) You could have elven performers in your fort or visiting it with skills in those instruments.
b) shiny
c) divine metal is quite good material. Wiki says it is between steel and adamantine.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 08:37:45 pm »

Sorry to necro, but why would you buy instruments from elves? Only thing good about trading with elves is the animals you can get.
They were foreign instruments, so I couldn't make them myself.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 09:54:43 pm »

Oh...