Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Where on Earth would a fortress thrive?  (Read 10103 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Where on Earth would a fortress thrive?
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2017, 06:45:52 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:24:19 pm by dragdeler »
let

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2017, 02:45:10 am »

Greenland has several possible locations. Well, a bit barren considering that there are very/extremely little to no trees.
Wood would likely have to be imported.
There are plenty of berries in some locations, although not a huge variety of them.
As shown in the link just above, there are a good amount of wildlife to either tame and/or hunt/fish.
(Just be aware of hungry Polar Bears north of the polar circle.)
There are plenty of mountains, several which likely has a decent amount of gemstones.
Plenty of fresh water around. Some small-scale farming exist, so there are some opportunities for that.
Sheep ranches exist in the southern regions, and I doubt Dwarves are very picky when it comes to livestock.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 06:28:33 am by Ultimuh »

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2017, 08:45:45 pm »

Why can't underground forests be a real thing, anyways? That would rock.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Photosynthesis requires solar radiation, which (sadly or fortunately?) is incapable of penetrating dozens of metres of solid rock. DF underground flora subsist on thaumic radiation, which is not found on Earth.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2017, 08:48:24 pm »

Still need coal for making steel. Alabama looks good, if I lead six other drunken midgets on an expedition.
You don't, actually. Wood-based charcoal will suffice.

Now, in recent versions, magma access is more or less guaranteed; so plentiful coal resources are less critical.  It might be interesting to look for areas with other mixes. 

For instance, the modern vicinity of Magdalensberg, Carinthia, Austria area was part of "Noricum", a Celtic kingdom closely allied with Rome, and later a province.  The area was known for superior sword steel for at least half a millennium, as the iron ore was high-manganese, low-phosphorous, both characteristics being critical to low-tech carburizing of iron into superior steel.  The area also has (or had) plentiful gold, salt, lavender, and lumber.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Zorbeltuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2017, 06:15:56 am »

I'd say the Swedish mountain Kiirunavaara or the Swedish informal region Bergslagen would be top picks for a dwarf.

Kiirunavaara has as far as current understanding goes can tell, the highest concentration and amount of iron ore anywhere in the world, and the woods would most likely be unguarded as winter temperatures go way to low to be livable without decent shelter and preferably furs too.

Bergslagen hasn't got the highest concentration or amounts of anything but types of ore, but name an ore and you'll likely find it in Bergslagen, it is even likely that it was first found in Bergslagen and a chance that it will only be found in there, woods are not likely to be undefended but much of the terrain would naturally lend it self to fortresses and there is coal for use during a siege.
Kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha, jokainen häviää. / Kaikki jotuvat tappiolle kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha.

EPM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2017, 12:54:24 pm »

I'm surprised at the lack of mention of the various cradles of civilization. Unsurprisingly, real-life humans had much the same requirements as enterprising embark-seekers: rivers, resources, booze, farming potential, and wood.

The Amazon, Ganges, Nile, Tigris/Euphrates, and Yellow River provide no shortage of locales. Heck, the Amazon even throws in the bonus of a Tropical Rainforest biome with high savagery.

Though, if we go by natural resource deposits, the UK is practically mandatory to mention for its immense coal and iron deposits, with an abundance of limestone flux too. There's a big reason Britain was able to build the world's largest empire: Steel.

Heck, a cursory glance at the geological history practically reads like a DFhack Prospect script printout: Sandstone, Limestone, Shale, Siltstone, Gneiss, More Limestone, MORE Limestone...

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2017, 07:21:44 pm »

I'm surprised at the lack of mention of the various cradles of civilization. Unsurprisingly, real-life humans had much the same requirements as enterprising embark-seekers: rivers, resources, booze, farming potential, and wood. ...

There are several main reasons.  First, you're looking at *much* larger areas.  A DF embark is *tiny* by real-world standards; the largest possible embark is about 1.5 km on a side.  An entire DF "world" is only 26 to 400 km across.  So the question is really what areas have an interesting variety of stuff in very close proximity. 

Additionally, early civilizations were primarily arranged around food and water.  DF is much more forgiving on farming, so players usually go for stuff with more potential for being interesting.  Igneous intrusions into sedimentary layers are good choices for a lot of variety over just a few km. 
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]